Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The myth of the female soldier.  (Read 10064 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: The myth of the female soldier.
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 03:47:27 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that there are four Source engine games that have a female companion who is incapable of doing anything but dying and showering you with praise for every lame thing you do?

Only four? That seems to be somewhat under the average for the gaming industries...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:16 pm »

There might be more.  HL2, HL2E1, HL2E2, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
Shoes...

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 03:49:07 pm »

There might be more.  HL2, HL2E1, HL2E2, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
ah, the expansions, yes... silly me.

Dark Messiah was source?
(off topic: is it any good?)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 03:50:32 pm »

HL2 isn't all that bad.  Compare her to the mooks in HL1.  Boy that girl can clear a room of headcrabs.

I'm not sure what else you're expecting from a sidekick of either gender.

(I'm not leaving without my buddy SUPERFLY!)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 04:13:44 pm »

Dark Messiah was source, and it wasn't bad.  Didn't work for like a year, until I found out that they put one of the files in the wrong folder when uploading it to Steam.  How do you do that and never notice?
Shoes...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »

Are we talking generic soldier types? or player characters? Cause any mmo/rpg you find female avatars and that, admitted most of them are horrifically sexualised. So i guess that doesn't count.

Theres also the Brotherhood of steel from fallout 3, tehy have females in power armour and you generally cant tell the difference between them and the men.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2009, 06:38:42 pm »

Fallouts 1 and 2 tended to have just as many women in random encounters, IE merchants, soldiers etc.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2009, 07:00:52 pm »

Meh, I always just chalked it up to the habit most militaries have of keeping old traditions going as long as they can, even if they don't make much sense anymore.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2009, 07:14:02 pm »

I believe the one place where women arn't allowed to serve is on submarines. Due to health complications, such as the chances of (if your pregant) damage to the unborn child in the women due to atmospheric pressures or something.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:05 pm »

Of course, this whole thing of "always treat women as though they might be pregnant" is INCREDIBLY insulting.

Except for the 1 time in 10,000 that it turns out to be true, and there's a tremendous uproar.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2009, 08:40:00 pm »

I believe the one place where women arn't allowed to serve is on submarines. Due to health complications, such as the chances of (if your pregant) damage to the unborn child in the women due to atmospheric pressures or something.

Why is it people act like woman in the military have never heard ofcontraceptives? Not only do they stop you from getting pregnant but they make womanly issues much less frequent if not non-existant.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2009, 08:41:57 pm »

I that Bungie's game Oni, they had trouble with the publisher over the main character and the box art. Bungie would send away a concept to the publisher and it would come back with half her clothes removed.

Bungie found it weird because they were fighting for more clothes!
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2009, 09:58:27 pm »

That was bizarre.  I remember the promo art would change with every update.  It was just one picture with Konoko in her "badass cop" pose, the other the exact same picture but with her uniform ripped to shreds.

I bet those evil publishers were responsible for her taking on the Last Level Extravaganza in hiphugger jeans.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2009, 10:23:12 pm »

Why is it people act like woman in the military have never heard ofcontraceptives? Not only do they stop you from getting pregnant but they make womanly issues much less frequent if not non-existant.

But if they have contraceptives, they may have evil sex.
!!&!!

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »

Actually I think they would be in more danger being trapped in a tin can at the bottom of the ocean for months at a time with a bunch of horny guys lol.
Is my avatar sexy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8