Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supercat!  (Read 1222 times)

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Supercat!
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:13:59 am »

So a golbin army (like 3 or 4 marksmen and more than a dozen lashers) decide to attack my fort in the third or fourth year last night.

I've got a square wall surrounding my ramp entrances and above ground bits (refuse/graveyard piles) with a 5 square opening on the south side.

The opening has a 20 or so square lane south of it to produce a small choke point into the base, which is filled with mostly not-yet-built stone fall traps, but 3 quite functional bait animals tied up at various points. The army is stationed inside the inner wall, waiting for the goblins to trap themselves to death.

So, 5 goblins rush ahead. 1 dies to a stone fall trap, causing the rest of the army to flee. The other 4 goblins start attacking the cat tied out on the east arm of the lane. The cat holds out for several high FPS real time minutes before the 4 goblins flee. The cat comes out with minor injuries to the head and torso. One of the goblins had moderate injuries to a number of body parts.

Tied up a new kitten on the rope and now the named cat wanders freely.

I had no idea cats could be so hardy  :o

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Supercat!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:26:16 am »

If that cat catsplodes, think you'll have an army of righteous warrior cats?

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:28:40 pm »

I had a cat take a few dragon breaths without harm before getting backed into a corner.  The dragon then occupied the same corner for a few moments, but then the cat just ran away with a few scratches and a yellow injury.  The dragon then followed the cat to a cage trap.  Dragon was never injured thou.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:29:32 pm »

I had no idea cats could be so hardy lucky. :o

fixed.

It's no surprise that combat could be so random. :o

Really fixed.

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:36:51 pm »

That's an incredible amount of luck. 4 melee weapon gobbos in a siege all going at this one tied up cat for a large number of rounds.

I'm gonna tie up all the cats at the front door to see what happens now.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:40:10 pm »

I'm not sure it's literally "incredible" - but it's certainly absurd.

But think of how many players are playing how many fortresses, how many cats are attacked by gobbos, how many times - this is bound to happen now and then.  Not surprising at all, just extreme.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:44:13 pm »

I got an idea for a fortress defense...

Station an army of cats in front of fortifications.

Behind the fortifications, station an army of crossbowdwarves.

As the goblins attack the super cats, the crossbow bolts skewer them.

Basically, it's your typical dwarven tactic, except with cats instead of expendable dwarves.

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:45 pm »

I'm not sure it's literally "incredible" - but it's certainly absurd.

But think of how many players are playing how many fortresses, how many cats are attacked by gobbos, how many times - this is bound to happen now and then.  Not surprising at all, just extreme.

That's why I need more tied up cats and more goblins sieging. Maybe some elves too, but ranged weapons was not a factor in this one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 03:51:07 pm »

Gobbos also suck.  Might help explain it a little.  It can take 3 or more soldiers just to have a good chance of taking down a civilian (a bowgoblin has a better chance, but my civilians are surprisingly good at dodging bowfire).

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 03:54:15 pm »

Gobbos also suck.  Might help explain it a little.  It can take 3 or more soldiers just to have a good chance of taking down a civilian (a bowgoblin has a better chance, but my civilians are surprisingly good at dodging bowfire).

Yeah, civilians generally > hammergoblin ambush
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 05:14:45 pm »

ive had a cat beat up a Ratman... seriously, the cat got enraged.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 07:50:48 pm »

Can cats gain experience if they do this regularly, and get stronger and so more able to do it more often?

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:02:34 pm »

Hmm...  What if you put a dozen or so cats in a small pit and dropped naked gobbos in one at a time?  Would the cats level up from the exercise?  I'd test it, but all my cats are currently muffins and gloves.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:36:27 pm »

See, I started using grizzly bears exactly for this reason. I didn't know cats were so badass, though.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 01:09:24 am »

I've had a dog and a miner take direct hits from dragonfire.  Not a scratch on either of them.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: [1] 2