Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Goblins will be too weak  (Read 4462 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins will be too weak
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:13 am »

That's only how you see it, and imposing such restraints on other people makes no sense.
I fail to see how I've imposed anything on anybody, merely stated a fact.  Ya'll think a certain way, and it's so ingrained in your minds that you have trouble seeing it any other way, to the point that:

These are clearly the generic, modern fantasy variant of goblins (in keeping with the generic modern fantasy setting).
despite the fact that goblins are the second most technically adept creatures in the game  (Pro Tip:  Saying clearly doesn't make something true), and the fact that as far back as I remember, discussions about goblins have invariably focussed around the differences between those who think post Tolkien D&D and video games, and those who think classic northern European mythology.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 12:23:06 pm »

Wait, how exactly are goblins more "technically adept" than humans in DF?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 12:39:59 pm »

Steel Which, IMHO, is the apogee of df tech.

Also, the baby-snatching leading to being raised among them is... more traditional english fae (labyrinth) than it is D&D style level 1 grind-bait

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 12:52:27 pm »

I think of them ranging from the weedy ones with "kill me" signs stamped on their forehead (Goblin drunks) to the raiding parties of Grendel-likes that are more akin to trolls or orcs. I haven't got these"ingrained" as such, it's just the way I thought about them based on gameplay. goblins in myth are similarly vague, with some being vicious and brutal creatures capable of killing ten men in staight combat, right down to the goblins in Norse mythology who tended to get smashed by the first hero with a fancy name.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2009, 03:17:56 pm »

-  don't think goblins should be extremely well-trained and absolutely should not get better kit. High-quality weapons and armor will only help them if you insist on fighting them chivalrously (bwahaha); traps make goblins' high-quality kit into your high-quality kit in short order, and it's already way too easy to fund your entire fortress from goblin leftovers.

It's always an option for the poorer skilled opponents to not wear metal armor. Well crafted elf leather would suffice. Makes sense, especially for ambushers. Wearing full plate seems counterintuitive for hit & run attacks

The issues you mentioned need to be addressed separately and this really isn't the thread

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 02:22:25 am »

Steel Which, IMHO, is the apogee of df tech.

Also, the baby-snatching leading to being raised among them is... more traditional english fae (labyrinth) than it is D&D style level 1 grind-bait

I'm not really sure why they would carry steel, and I've never seen it before. The entity tokens page on the wiki says that METAL_PREF controls use of steel, and goblins don't have that. They also don't have any other tokens I can think of that would cause them to use steel while humans can't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2009, 08:11:34 am »

It would be in the civ file, not the goblin file.  Wiki is mixed, and I don't have a copy of the game here, but goblins at one point did have steel, and I haven't heard they'd lost it.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2009, 01:31:35 pm »

I can never recall seeing a goblin with steel -- and it's something I'd remember, since it would be very useful to melt down and reuse (instead of all the iron they bring currently.)

Are you sure you didn't just see a leader who happened to have some steel he'd acquired as loot or something somehow during world-gen?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2009, 01:48:31 pm »

from the wiki, since at least 2007
Goblins carry somewhat valuable gear. They often wear giant cave spider silk clothing, iron armor, even steel armor (that can be melted down) and steel weapons. Crossbowmen will carry dwarf-usable bolts. Goblin clothing is considered "narrow" and dwarves cannot wear it, though it can be used as trade goods or melted. Goblin bones and skulls are not particularly valuable, although - as with all bones and skulls - the bones can be crafted into bolts and the skulls crafted into totems.

I've gotten a lot of steel off of my goblins, but I haven't played 40 much.  One note:  They probably have the same restrictions (iron, flux) on steel as you do, so it might be a bit rare.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:18 am »

i end up with loads of steel from goblins, i don't entirely like the amount i end up with.  free steel is nice, but it just amazes me how much steel i get off these guys, compared with how little i produce on my own in the same amount of time it takes them to restock all their steel weapons and armor.  i only use locked doors to keep them out with my marks dwarfs attacking them while they try to get in, i dance the goblins around between two doors, i doubt that makes a difference.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:00 pm »

Maybe you people are using mods, I don't know.

But I recall seeing goblins with iron, not steel, equipment.

And looking at the entity raws (which ARE what I looked at to begin with, btw) I don't see METAL_PREF or anything else that would give them steel any more than humans have it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »

I'm not sure I'd belief the metal_pref bit.  It seems more likely to allow dwarves to 'likes granite' than use steel, regardless of the wiki. 

I don't use mods.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2009, 11:03:54 pm »

Granite's not a metal. Come on, that's your name, you should know that.

Stones are handled by STONE_PREF or ROCK_PREF or whatever.

And seriously, I don't know of any entity tokens that COULD control steel usage aside from METAL_PREF.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2009, 08:23:53 am »

despite the fact that goblins are the second most technically adept creatures in the game  (Pro Tip:  Saying clearly doesn't make something true), and the fact that as far back as I remember, discussions about goblins have invariably focussed around the differences between those who think post Tolkien D&D and video games, and those who think classic northern European mythology.
This bothers me enough that I have to reply to it.

Dwarf Fortresses' goblins are, at least for the things relevant to this discussion, D&D / Tolkien goblins.  Technically Tolkien didn't really have distinct goblins except as a different word for smaller orcs, but everyone else just used it for creatures like his orcs, but smaller and greener.  I'll use "Tolkien" as a catchall term for everything derived from him, in any case.

Traditional goblins are primarily distinct from Tolkien's orcs and goblins in the following ways:

* First, and by far the most importantly, they didn't form armies.  Generally they were purely individual.  A goblin might cause mischief on the road or a small group of them cause mischief in an area, but they were essentially considered local spirits.  They would never move about in large numbers or invade anyone in a military fashion.  At best, they might have a king in the same way you might have a fairy-king or some such thing, who can be appealed to to settle disputes or break curses he's cast or whatever -- but he was a magical creature, not a secular king who raised armies and invaded people.  The militaristic 'vile force of darkness' that Dwarf Fortress uses is, as it applies to Goblins, essentially something Tolkien invented whole-cloth.

* Second, goblins were not generally considered demonic themselves (they were considered a type of mischievous fairy, generally), and they did not serve demonic overlords; they served only their own nature and their whims.  The horde of green warty creatures serving as an army for a shadowy demon overlord is, again, Tolkien's invention.

* Third, goblins did not generally use weapons or armor, and it would be especially -- most particularly -- unusual to have them using iron or steel, which (aside from everything else) requires a degree of organization and cohesion that nobody ever ascribed to scattered, mischievous goblins until Tolkien rewrote them into his 'vile force of darkness.'  There were exceptions to this (goblins sometimes overlapped with dwarves), but in those cases they tended towards dedicated crafting-spirits, not creatures that would forge swords and then run around stabbing people with them.  Having goblins and their like acting like humans in that regard was entirely Tolkien's invention.

* Fourth, they were not universally evil.  They were mischievous, certainly, and might cause trouble if you don't leave a plate of milk or some similar sacrifice out for them, but they wouldn't generally run around committing murder (and certainly not invading anyone -- although, of course, as I already explained they wouldn't invade anyone anyway because they were never considered to form armies.)  If you treated them respectfully they might help you.

'Goblin' encompasses an awful lot, of course, so there are no doubt exceptions to the above, but the most important point (about goblin armies, their most distinctive trait in Dwarf Fortress and the one you are most concerned about in this thread) is, I think, universal -- that is pure Tolkien and D&D, with no mythological antecedents.

This is common sense when you think about it.  People actually believed in goblins.  Nobody could seriously believe in a huge army of goblins laying siege to structures, or forming big societies or whatever.  Therefore, they were small, mischievous things on which people blamed small troubles.  Tolkien was able to turn them into a big scary army because he was writing in a purely fantasy universe, and only loosely drawing on myths and legends.

Dwarf Fortress, as you can probably see, uses Tolkien's goblins and completely ignores the earlier definition for nearly everything important that can currently be seen in the game.  But, more than that (and here's what I'm really getting at), you are using the Tolkien-D&D definition.  You are.  You are asking for goblins to be made even less small, mischievous things, and even more into huge vile Tolkienesque D&D armies who attack in mindless waves in order to provide a challenge for your characters.

I resisted saying this until now because it isn't really that important, but it bugs me every time you bring it up.  You have it completely and utterly backwards.  Organized armies of goblins armed with human-like metal weapons invading dwarves and elves as part of big military campaigns overseen by demons is pure D&D.

Tiny groups of mischievous goblins (or, really, individual mischievous goblins) who pose little threat to even one alert, armed military dwarf, but who skulk around curdling milk and stealing things and, occasionally, helping people if they leave out proper offerings and so forth is the earlier traditional goblin.

If you want traditional goblins, the first step is to ask for the complete and permanent removal of their ability to form armies or level sieges.  In effect, they would be a bit more like kobolds.

That is all.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:31:40 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2009, 11:36:54 am »

"The traditional goblins" varies from culture to culture. I only agree with the above point insofar as the were usually in small groups and weren't well equipped. The other points vary and the above poster is only quoting one form of goblin, one that is more like gremlins :S
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6