Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Goblins will be too weak  (Read 4464 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins will be too weak
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:15:50 am »

With the new military stuff coming out with the next release, we will be going from having almost no control over our military dwarves, to having complete 'hive mind' type control. Being able to assign individual targets for dwarves is almost too powerful.

In order for this to be even remotely fun, the goblins are going to have to be exponentially tougher than they are currently. Anything that can be done to improve their effectiveness ought to be done, and after you've done everything you can think of, you might have to resort to just making them alot physically stronger than dwarves.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins will be too weak
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:24:14 am »

I don't think play balance is a major concern just yet?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:32:44 am »

If something is waaay off though, it will need a fix. I'm thinking that the goblin threat is going to be entirely insignificant. Having dwarves actually man their stations is an entirely different game than the one that we know today.

This potential problem also has the effect of greatly diminishing the value of all the military enhancements, and that would be kindof a shame.

My latest forts:

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:35:24 am »

I see it as less 'military becomes too powerful' and more of a 'militia spends more time hauling and less time twiddling it's thumbs in guard shacks' issue.

My two cents, though

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:05:29 am »

Goblins will probably become a little more organized. Also, many mods for orcs and chaos dwarves and the like.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:23:04 am »

If something is waaay off though, it will need a fix. I'm thinking that the goblin threat is going to be entirely insignificant. Having dwarves actually man their stations is an entirely different game than the one that we know today.
Down that way lies madness.  You are asking Toady to add temporary difficulty-boosting things that he will have to just rip back out later when actual balance is implemented...  potentially adding new bugs in the process.

Just mod the game if you want to adjust the balance now.  In the long run, war as a whole is going to be totally different from how it is now...  you're asking for something that would be 100% wasted dev time.

Also, there are new threats in the newer versions -- creatures from the depths, say.  You have no idea what the balance is going to be like.

Goblins, I think, were never intended to be the game's big main threats.  They're goblins, what do you expect?  But there's going to be a lot more in the next version that we don't really know much about yet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:24:35 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Kobolds will be too weak
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:35:37 am »

They're goblins, what do you expect?
They're [ENTITY:EVIL], what do you expect?

*grumbles, waves ☼«☼Large Copper Dagger☼»☼*
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 11:59:20 am »

D&D soooo broke the definition of goblin...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:38 pm »

Down that way lies madness.  You are asking Toady to add temporary difficulty-boosting things that he will have to just rip back out later when actual balance is implemented...  potentially adding new bugs in the process.

I'm not talking about temporary changes, I'm just pointing out that if we can actually control our military, that will permantly and greatly increase our ability to defend the fortress. That calls for enemies who are up to the challenge, or else all this particular development effort is wasted.

Currently, the only threat to any fortress is the unreliability of the dwarves. Even so, defending the fortress is still pretty easy. Patrol points and manned stations that you can count on might well remove any challenge whatsoever. You could skip the fortress and put your whole living space in an open field, and defend it perfectly against the current crop of enemies.

My latest forts:

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:26 pm »

I think it's ok if they are "weak" in the vanilla game...just think about the new DF players. Sieges are quite "newbie friendly" right now, and it's all good. Experienced players can create their own hardcore mods, or just download some existing mods.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 02:04:45 pm »

I mod them to be tougher already.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:39:36 pm »

One word for you: ORCS.

And by the way, I can't even count how many times I have wanted to throw my champions into a lavapool for falling asleep RIGHT as the goblin army entered the kill zone, or decided that instead of fighting for the sovereignty of the fortress and freedom from enslavement they should just go and eat...then go back, but decide that they really need a drink TOO (you know the stories). That's WITH backpacks, mind you.  I don't see what's so difficult about just using mods already, goblins are a JOKE as it is. I don't think the next update will unbalance them so much as make dwarves less annoying to deal with.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 03:47:43 pm »

Their immortality and breeding ability will eventually get its just deserts later on. As well as their ability to attract powerful creatures. As well they use all the metals but generally speaking Iron.

So they don't need any balancing they could already be a bit unbalanced as it is.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 12:32:01 am »

Cave creatures.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 02:02:20 am »

Eh, we need more civs to be genned, and give the civ ai/tech an upgrade.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6