Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Depth & Heat  (Read 1732 times)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Depth & Heat
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:52 am »

My suggestion is to make the default temperature slightly higher the deeper you go, and perhaps also colder the higher up you are. If you build a 230-story tower, water should freeze at the top.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depth & Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:04:39 am »

Good luck building a 230 story tower into the air.  You can only go 15 above the highest point on the map.

It should also be noted that you can only go down 15 levels from the lowest too, which amounts to 150-300 feet at best.  In order for it to get warmer you have to do gown a good power of 10 farther.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:28 am »

Good luck building a 230 story tower into the air.  You can only go 15 above the highest point on the map.

It should also be noted that you can only go down 15 levels from the lowest too, which amounts to 150-300 feet at best.  In order for it to get warmer you have to do gown a good power of 10 farther.
I do hope you mean factor ten, power of 10 wil take you to the center of the earth, back out the other side,  past the orbit of the moon, and a considerable distance into outer space.
EDIT: After some further calculations trying to find out if will take you to alpha centauri: 300 ft ^10 is roughly 100m^10, is 10^20 m is roughly 67*10^8 AU. According to wikipedia, THAT TAKES YOU TO THE CENTER OF THE GALAXY. And you won't even be half way by then.
I think I can therefore safely asume you mean a factor ten, thus a depth of 3000 ft or a kilometer.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:36:54 am by Aldaris »
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:32:09 am »

Well it's a suggestion, and as far as those go I'd love it if we could dig or build as high or low as we want. Not really sure how difficult it would be with going down, but generating new z-layers of empty air as you go shouldn't be all that difficult.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:54:53 am »

I do hope you mean factor ten, power of 10 wil take you to the center of the earth, back out the other side,  past the orbit of the moon, and a considerable distance into outer space.
EDIT: After some further calculations trying to find out if will take you to alpha centauri: 300 ft ^10 is roughly 100m^10, is 10^20 m is roughly 67*10^8 AU. According to wikipedia, THAT TAKES YOU TO THE CENTER OF THE GALAXY. And you won't even be half way by then.
I think I can therefore safely asume you mean a factor ten, thus a depth of 3000 ft or a kilometer.

You broke the mathiness barrier, so :

100^10 =\= 10^20
100^10 = 10^11m, or about Venus from the Sun

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:31:30 pm »

You broke the mathiness barrier, so :

100^10 =\= 10^20
100^10 = 10^11m, or about Venus from the Sun

No he was right:

100^10 = (10^2)^10 = 10^(2*10) = 10^20
10*10^10 = 10^11, but that's an entriely different opperation.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:47:11 pm »

hmm

yeah, that's right...

I hate mondays

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 01:07:18 pm »

Cool, one of my first succesfull derails on this forum, yay me.
Anyway, the principle of the suggestion is sound, although it may be better to base the underground temperature of anything deeper than 4 z levels underground of the abolute height, rather than relative height. (As in height based of the world minimum/maximum, as opposed to map min/max. The 4 Zs underground is to keep surface temp out of the question.)
And anything above ground should be climate temp - height induced coldness... factor... thing... statistic... or something like that.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 01:14:24 pm »

This has come up before, and it goes something like...

1: The deeper you go, the closer the temperature gets to the average year round temperature.

2: After that is reached, going deeper gets warmer and about 2C per... 100 feet?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:51 pm »

230 stories?
Dynamic map whatever it was called would allow you to keep building up, but the game would slow considerably. That feature is planned still, I don't think it's in the next release.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 03:17:15 pm »

Cool, one of my first succesfull derails on this forum, yay me.
And it wasn't even correct! "A power of ten" he said - not "the tenth power of ten". "A power of 10" must be taken to mean "An order of magnitude", i.e. 10^1

(I'm aware of the irony of this post, yes)
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 06:16:39 pm »

Or...150 feet times a single power of 10 would be....

1500 feet. :o

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:07:12 pm »

It's not that hard to manipulate the worldgen parameters to give you rather large differences in height between a few local map tiles, as my 104-story tower can attest. I think some other guy had a mountain that measured at least 200 z-levels.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:22:59 pm »

Imagine a giant space hammer attached to earth that is several light years long and smashes planets as it orbits.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 02:26:07 am »

i could see it now, a lonely dwarf pulls a single lever, suddenly a notice pops up, "a section of the cavern has collapsed!" thats when you learn that the giant space bridge you were building to the moon has collapsed dragging over a thousand of your dwarfs to the center of the earth.
Pages: [1] 2 3