Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: How do you start playing X-COM?  (Read 8457 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you start playing X-COM?
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2010, 09:10:40 am »

AI?
Alien Invasion.  An open source 'tribute'/inspired-by game (unfinished, but playable nonetheless) which I've been playing a lot recently along with the (ressurected, thanks to DOSBox) UFO: Enemy Unknown original.  I also remember having UFO: Terror From The Deep (though I don't know where my disks for that are).  It took a while to work out that this other version was the reason why I couldn't replicate my fondly-remembered underwater missions in EU, actually.

But checking the date of Apocalypse, it occured at a time when I was more into other types of game (e.g. Battlezone) with a different approach to the management and battle format.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:46 am »

AI?

anyway, fixed the problem: I needed to drag picture to load all selected units, not name.
Thanks you for the help!

I still haven't had a chance to find an UFO crash however: the only one I could take down landed on a building ( which I had to clean later)

In the early game, the higher power weapons have the tendency to destroy enemy ships as opposed to forcing them to land. The good part is that you don't have to deal with a crash site. The bad part is that you're delaying possible research.

Basically, there are two kinds of scout ships that will come through in the beginning, the little pudding/dome shaped ones, and the football ones. They usually go down quickly and easily, but if you want to take one of these "alive" you'll want to under-power a ship with the weakest weapons you can get and send that guy after one of the tiny ships.

Later there will be larger ships that can take more hits and thus have a larger "crash" HP zone.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2010, 09:20:18 pm »

Helpz I need help.  X-COM  keeps crashing, I have the steam pack, what do I do.

It just wigs out then goes into the "tactical" program.  Randomly.  Coincidentally, I had just saved a game in the tactical mode.  Also, it keeps exceeding the stack. Or somesuch.  Some memory mismanagement.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2010, 02:27:02 am »

I'm not sure. I haven't encountered any crashing problems, but a friend of mine who bought the steam pack has been. I would suggest checking out the steam forums if you haven't already. Otherwise there are a handful of other sites you might look into the forums at, such as Dosbox and xenocide.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:36 am »

i remember how i started with X-com.
So im from eastern europe and my days games were really scarce. (no game shops, internet...)
One day my brother brought a huge pack of floppy discs, i don't remeber how manny games was there, but we instaled ufo and tried it, we thought after a while that the whole game is the globe part so we moved on to other games. Months later i tired ufo again and found the mission part and voilla we were playing it around 40 hours nonstop and the years to come. :D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]