Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Armoks Elitistic Exclusive RP of Awesomesauce. v0.1  (Read 13157 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Armoks Elitistic Exclusive RP of Awesomesauce. v0.1
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 08:50:09 am »

I am not sure I quite understand this...

so...there is no actual setting or plot, just the guys who joined, who do random actions as they see fit, with no ulterior goal ?

it seems like something that is more fit for IRC, rather than serious roleplay
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 09:09:22 am »

I am not sure I quite understand this...

so...there is no actual setting or plot, just the guys who joined, who do random actions as they see fit, with no ulterior goal ?

it seems like something that is more fit for IRC, rather than serious roleplay
There is no actual setting YET, we're working on it.
There is no predetermined plot, but general guidlines for the nature of it shuld be laid out, actions hopefully wont be random. In the end there is suposed to bee a plot, but one formed emergent from the colective will of the players, rather than determined beforhand by a single person.

Forum/IRC has noting to do whit seriousness, just whit tempo. I've done very silly disorganized RPs over forums, and very serius ones over IRC. Actually almost all my IRC roleplay have been quite serious.

If you want, you're in by the way, you'd almost certanly improve this thing for everyone, especially whit that attitude.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 09:10:49 am »

I would have to agree with Akroma, if not because I'm growing tired of these informal forum roleplays. As fun as they can be, the randomness and general bad roleplaying that goes into them makes them more like a chat than anything else. Heck, IRC would be a perfect place for them. Then again, I really should not dictate how people should do things.

Let me just say if this will be like the forum roleplay, then I likely won't be in. If we come up with something a bit more serious, then perhaps. And as much theorizing as one can do on the laws of the land, plot is growing a bit distant. While freeform roleplays where there is no beginning plot except what the players come up with sounds fine in theory, for some reason people rarely have it grow beyond the "Hello there, group of players. Let us mill about for a little while that is the whole time this roleplays lives."

Goddammit Armok. You're a god of blood, not a ninja.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 09:16:44 am »

So, the god of blood is a ninja, eh? Then we are all doomed. RUN FROM TEH NINJA GOD OF DOOOM!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 09:18:53 am »

meh, I am not in. Too random for me.

I am however considering a new BotG that I might or might not start sometime after I am back from my trip to china.

I was thinking that in this BotG, players and their races shouldn't always start from zero. a lot of time is lost in the phase that is needed to expand anc actually make contact with other players, resulting in a lot of inconsistencies and actions that are simply not logic.
I mean hey, if your entire civilisation just began to exist 3 months ago, you don't go to war. Also, you won't have several thousand civilians either.

what I am thinking of is is a BotG for 5-6 devoted players, where all civilisations on the board should have at least a few hundred years of roughly scetched out history and some basic relationships to their neighbours. Under that light, it would even be possible to have some players controle the same race, just under different civilisations and religions
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 09:20:51 am »

Hey, if it's like a more advanced Evolution, I'd be interested in that.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2009, 09:23:08 am »

Akroma, I'd be interested in that.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:46 am »

unlike in Evolution, BotG is primarily centered on culture, religion and politics.

sure, you can create pretty much all kind of races you want, but in actual gameplay, physical traits are not incredibly important factors. Where they are important is that some races might have problems dealing with your race without shitting themselves in fear because some sort of bizzare monster is trying to sell him tulips.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2009, 09:33:38 am »

What is BotG

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2009, 09:34:25 am »

It sounds awesome Akroma,  :D although I probably wont have time to be dedicated enough so i probably wont join. :(

However, it is a bit of topic for this thread.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2009, 09:39:09 am »

unlike in Evolution, BotG is primarily centered on culture, religion and politics.

sure, you can create pretty much all kind of races you want, but in actual gameplay, physical traits are not incredibly important factors. Where they are important is that some races might have problems dealing with your race without shitting themselves in fear because some sort of bizzare monster is trying to sell him tulips.
Like Evolution in the sense that one controls a large entity and roleplays the interactions on this large collective with other large groups of creatures. Just replace "Evolutions" with "Scientific advances" or "Resources controlled" and I could see similar games on different scales.

But yes, on topic I would have to see where this all goes to know if I wish to join.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2009, 09:42:30 am »

so will anyone vote or expand upon or make a more formal suggestion about this setting?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2009, 09:46:59 am »

I think the background cosmology of the setting is done, we should concentrate on the things like nations, groups, races, ect.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2009, 09:51:44 am »

What is BotG

Battle of the Gods.

each player creates a race or civilisation, and a god who is tinkering with them in some way or another. There is no need to stick to the usual stereotypes. We had many things, ranging from golems, creatures that were sentinent water, some sort of squid-monsters, heck, we even had !!elves!!. Yes, elves that were permanently on fire.

the player takes on the role of a single civilisation, and interacts with other players on the board, creating peace and war as he sees fit.
at the same time, the player takes on the role of a god that is associated with the CIv he is playing, and acts out what that god does.
that can run pretty wildly, depending on the goal of your god. You can directly come down to earth and give your guys orders to conquer the world, slaying the non-believers, or just smoothly guide them into the right direction, influencing them through what would appear to be coincidence, except that in this case it clearly isn't. Of course, the all time favourite. Gods sitting around a table, pushing small figurines over an elaborate map while drinking highly alcoholic beverages.

I am thinking of letting this one run wilder than the last versions, meaning that divine intervention can once again become a core-element, rather than some sort of extra that people were afraid to use because it would ruin the game. Just pointing out that nuking cities and armies from the orbit is a dick-move. If a god wanted to do that from the beginning, then he wouldn't have bothered sending his believers to do the work. The outcome of events can be influenced in a multitude of ways. Remember how for the need of a nail the entire empire fell.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2009, 09:52:37 am »

yes.
I guess evryone agreed on the phyics i proposed then?
I also gave sugestions abaut population. And if we do the physics I decribed the uestion if they are on the surface of a sphere, several spheres, a disk, or something along those lines becaome irelevant: we simply make a list of geograpical areas, and how they are conected in insane ways, and it's very modular.

Also Akroma: that sounds really, really awesome. I might not be able to resist joining. Personally I was planing to wait for a slightly better media than forums and IRC, the most likely candidate being Google wave which hasn't been released yet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:58:18 am by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10