Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 9169 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2009, 01:37:11 am »

Lovecraftian biome?

Yeah, having a creature that makes all dwarves insane on sight would actually be a pretty FUN idea...
Wait 'til sphere-influenced biomes instead of the current g/e
SPHERE_CHAOS
SPHERE_DREAMS
SPHERE_OCEANS
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:HASTUR]

...what, no sphere of  insanity? ô_o huh.

edit: Topic related, SPHERE_RAINBOWS ;)

And of course you can have serious unicorns. They tend to favor virgins, though.
Anyway, ☼unicorn horn mug☼s are supposed to be proof against poison, though a liberal interpretationwould mean that only water will be drinkable from it,as alcohols are (at least to us) poisons...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:39:16 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2009, 02:35:44 am »

Anyway, ☼unicorn horn mug☼s are supposed to be proof against poison, though a liberal interpretationwould mean that only water will be drinkable from it,as alcohols are (at least to us) poisons...

Nethack gives precedent for leaving alcohol alone.  In that game, dipping a unicorn horn in potions of sickness, confusion, hallucination, or blindness will turn them into water or juice, but potions of booze are unaffected.  It's not that the DevTeam didn't think of it, since booze can be converted into juice with an amethyst.

If we still made the unicorn horn nullify ethanol, then I suppose dwarves would just have to head into Evil biomes to make Nightmare Hoof mugs....  which convert water into Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, of course.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2009, 09:24:07 am »

For the record, unicorns as pretty, harmless companions for young girls is actually a very recent invention.

The original unicorn myths described a dangerous, bloodthirsty beast, so evil that the pure heart of a virgin was the only thing that could calm them down long enough to slay them. Seriously. It wasn't exactly pretty either.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2009, 01:39:41 pm »

For the record, unicorns as pretty, harmless companions for young girls is actually a very recent invention.

The original unicorn myths described a dangerous, bloodthirsty beast, so evil that the pure heart of a virgin was the only thing that could calm them down long enough to slay them. Seriously. It wasn't exactly pretty either.
You know, I'm starting to wonder how all this old mythology became kid-friendly and nice.

Mermaids, unicorns, fairies, gnomes...

Just...how?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2009, 02:27:13 pm »

Simple

People USED it to make Kid-friendly nice.

Look at Disney, what films did they make?

-Sleeping Beauty: She was Raped by the Prince
-Cinderella: Lots and lots of Gore
-Pinochio: He was hanged to death
-The Little Mermaid: Either the mermaid dies or she kills the Prince with a knife

Yes those are associated with nothing but pleasant things but the original sources were anything but.

Some also came about due to friendly versions spilling over to the original.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:29:06 pm by Neonivek »

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2009, 02:40:14 pm »

Yeah, look at Snow White.  An hour and a half and the dwarfs don't kill any merchants or run burning into the liquor cabinet.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2009, 04:09:13 pm »

Yeah, look at Snow White.  An hour and a half and the dwarfs don't kill any merchants or run burning into the liquor cabinet.
Woulda been the greatest damn movie ever, though...

Wait. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Is that why we embark with only seven?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2009, 04:17:58 pm »

Yes, Toady has said he's reluctant to change it right now because of the humorous value of the reference.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2009, 04:25:56 pm »

Ah. The very peak of game balance. Base it on a popular culture reference.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2009, 09:38:15 pm »

Yes, Toady has said he's reluctant to change it right now because of the humorous value of the reference.
So wheres my Snow White?

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2009, 11:55:05 pm »

I thought that joke was pretty obvious from the get-go.  Of course, I also thought that was why the dwarfs in LotR got seven rings of power.

I usually name my embarkation team based on the starting skills I give them.  Crafty, Woody, Rocky, Handy, Cookie, Farmy and Boss.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2009, 06:33:57 am »

While I personally would love nothing more than to turn the game into a crapsack world filled with horrors like these with no hope of lasting peace, the very inclusion of good biomes would seem to indicate Toady wants lovey dovey creatures too. Flesh eating predatory magic corrupted abominations are right out

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2009, 06:54:31 am »

well, only "right out" insofar as good biomes go.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 06:23:50 am »

Oh! And make it cause a fourth kind of insanity that only it can cause!

But what should it be...?
Sub-prime trading.

*nodnod*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2009, 06:28:37 am »

So wheres my Snow White?
You're her.

They go out and do the digging and you organise their home.  And watch the animals run round doing stuff.  And about there the analogy breaks down (they're the ones who get the glass coffins), fair enough.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6