Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 9202 times)

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 04:13:36 pm »

Sounds like an interesting series, what was it called?

first book is called Into the Land of the Unicorns, second is  Song of the Wanderer. i think theres a #3 out and a 4th on the way

all part of a series called The Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 05:25:25 pm »

Unicorn's horns originally just purified water (actually just removed poisons)

It just became healing by natural extension.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 08:58:04 pm »

Unicorns should poop raw rainbowmantium
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38:55 pm »

Unicorns should poop raw rainbowmantium
How about we keep it serious? I'd actually be interested in seeing unicorn horns used as antidotes when ground-it would create a good reason to hunt them (more so than their mod value), and make them even more valuable.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:17 pm »

Well personally I don't even like the idea of Unicorns being associated with Rainbows as I doubt its horn is a prism.

Besides I think what you guys are thinking of are Ponies. Especially little ones.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 11:07:02 pm »

I'm now picturing My Little Ponies in Dwarf Fortress.

They're basically carp on land.

Oh, c'mon. If someone modded them in, you know they'd make them demonic, wild beasts of death and destruction.

They're Armok's Little Ponies.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 11:50:36 pm »

Should make rainbow miasma

Do you read CTC by any chance?
http://www.whiteponyproductions.com/comicstrips/ctc/ctc0355.htm
http://www.whiteponyproductions.com/comicstrips/ctc/ctc0381.htm

I'm now picturing My Little Ponies in Dwarf Fortress.

They're basically carp on land.

Oh, c'mon. If someone modded them in, you know they'd make them demonic, wild beasts of death and destruction.

They're Armok's Little Ponies.

Actually, MLP did have some darkness.  Remember the fuss when UNICEF made a commercial showing the Smurfs the victim of an air raid?  Well, two decades earlier, MLP basically did that in it's own TV pilot episode!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 11:53:50 pm »

Please don't tell me you wanna keep a discussion on unicorns serious.

Anyway, as a generic magical creature, it should have more into it, at the moment they're just horned horses with a taste for blood, and gained the prize for most dangerous animal on land after elephants got pacified.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 12:10:31 am »

Actually, MLP did have some darkness.  Remember the fuss when UNICEF made a commercial showing the Smurfs the victim of an air raid?  Well, two decades earlier, MLP basically did that in it's own TV pilot episode!
Congratulations. You've made me want to watch My Little Ponies.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 06:40:01 am »

Anyway, as a generic magical creature, it should have more into it, at the moment they're just horned horses with a taste for blood, and gained the prize for most dangerous animal on land after elephants got pacified.

Nothing wrong with that. Let's do away with the whole "good" association, making that little else but a folktale that gets virgins killed

I like the Overlord variety of unicorns a lot better anyway

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:59 am »

Please don't tell me you wanna keep a discussion on unicorns serious

Some of us arn't as corrupted by Children's shows and backpacks as others are.

They were hardly silly and non-serious in mythology and folklore unless you like to be skewered.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:37:37 am by Neonivek »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 09:20:40 am »

How about we keep it serious? I'd actually be interested in seeing unicorn horns used as antidotes when ground-it would create a good reason to hunt them (more so than their mod value), and make them even more valuable.
Haven't checked for suggestions re: those currently tradegoods-only products (gnomeblight, liquid fire, etc, IIRC), but I imagine someone's suggested a "dipping" production command in either an arrow/bolt-making workshop, the alchemists workshop or some dedicated place, to produce arrows with greater damage/long-term effects against enemies.

This and the above leads to imagining an apothecary workshop (with associated skills, unless the Healthcare one wanted to be used more) in which an arrow/bolt and some ground unicorn horn (or raw horn, which would be ground/otherwise processed in-situ) could preduce a health-giving medical device.  Since I started down that track I've started thinking it sounds like a hypodermic, or even acupuncture, but I was actually originally thinking more along the lines of a mystical "scratch with an anti-poisonous arrow head" sort of thing.  Or possibly it could be a 'kill or cure' sort of thing (c.f. the "plunging into the heart" business), for serious wounds, leaving the target insensible and needing extensive recuperation (perhaps more than otherwise needed for his/her non-mortal wounds) but immediately removing the bleeding/choking/poison (but not drowning) life-threatening conditions that they would otherwise die of in short order.

However, I'd still be surprised if this sort if thing weren't already suggested, or already on the books as a side-shoot in the Magic arc section.  (I really ought to have done a search entering edit mode. :))

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:01 pm »

I'd actually be interested in seeing unicorn horns used as antidotes when ground-it would create a good reason to hunt them (more so than their mod value), and make them even more valuable.

From a more gamey perspective, the super good could gain access to 'touched by a unicorn' style magic, if they were good, and went to the woods, and had maiden tears (or some bs).  OTOH, you COULD just shoot the things and grind up their horns.  Not quite as effective, not really good nature stewardry, but WAY easier to sell to the king.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 10:36:43 am »

Make it so you can make bolts out of unicorn horns. Make it so you can poison bolts by dipping them into cave spider extract (or whatever you want to use). Then watch the poor noobs ruin their expensive poison by dipping a unicorn horn in it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 12:12:26 pm »

Make it so you can make bolts out of unicorn horns. Make it so you can poison bolts by dipping them into cave spider extract (or whatever you want to use). Then watch the poor noobs ruin their expensive poison by dipping a unicorn horn in it.

That would be VERY df...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6