Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How much food?  (Read 3349 times)

Angellus

How much food?
« on: June 28, 2009, 04:10:24 am »

Hi, I'm a long way from that one fertile spot in my new area and thus wish to buy the food from the first coming caravan, how much should I buy to supply 7 starterdwarves with food and drinks (I dont have a water supply (yet))?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: How much food?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:13:15 am »

Well, with that situation, you should buy everything they bring.

And setting up a farm doesn't take very long. Just muddy some underground tiles, or dig into a soil layer and plop down a plot.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:24:00 am »

Well, with that situation, you should buy everything they bring.

And setting up a farm doesn't take very long. Just muddy some underground tiles, or dig into a soil layer and plop down a plot.
Yes, but the problem is that I do not have water available, and the first sandpiece is underground on the other side of the map XD

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:53:40 am »

Make a farm in the sand area and make the planters rooms right next to it, make sure to have a wide hallway to the farm for moving all the harvested plants to the proper stockpiles. Survival is much easier if you have a farm.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 01:13:52 pm »

Yes, but the problem is that I do not have water available, and the first sandpiece is underground on the other side of the map XD

So dig a tunnel to it. ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 05:01:02 pm »

So dig a tunnel to it. ;)
They are busy with that, but they are already dehydrated  ;D

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 07:12:49 pm »

Too much is never enough
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:48:54 pm »

So wait, you don't have water, and you don't have booze?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:26:53 pm »

dig a single one tile mega hallway to underground in the sand, make a nice farm plot, and then build a well somewhere nearby, perhaps in a small solid walled room with access by tunnel to your fort. then everything will be hunky dorey. smoke up, drink it up and keep farming. once you're settled, build a walled off area on some clean grass or outside sand/dirt with safe access to your fort and after harvesting seeds from the local flora (using the (D)esignate (G)ather plants tool i think) you'll get seeds for above ground crops, grow them in this protected outside area and you'll be set.

if you're afraid of giant eagles eating your outdoor farmers, i THINK it's bugged in such that you can build a rock or wooden floor above the outdoor crops and it'll still count as outdoor and they'll grow.
but i could be wrong - i'm trying to build a glass floor over my outdoor crop as we speak just to be safe.
my fortress is full of kitties

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:23:37 am »

And work on your plant gathering herbalism while you wait for a farm to be set up and start performing. If you get plants that you can eat raw, set up an outdoor farm if it is more convenient and closer. Even just temporary, it will help a lot, you can deconstruct it later.

Angellus

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 03:24:32 am »

So wait, you don't have water, and you don't have booze?
jups, and the traders just left, so I cannot hope for quick refreshments XD... guess this will take awhile.

Just to mention:

I dont have any Booze
There should be an underground river somewhere on the map.
I dont have any trees, nor do I have plants outside.
All I have is a miniature sandy spot on the outer outskirts of my fortress (7x5 or 7x6), and two diggers who are still apprentice.
I do not have any outside crops, so it will not work to start a farm on the sand.
As stated above I do not have water, though it should be somewhere on the map, muddying is not possible for me, not even with booze if that was possible XD.
All my dwarves state a blue downward arrow, so I'm f*cked  ;D (I have a rather long way to go still :))

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 06:55:10 am »

First, butcher two of your animals and craft their bones into crossbows, or if you have access to wood create wooden crossbows. Craft some bone or wooden bolts, and have a dwarf start hunting to take care of food problems. Make sure you've got a butchery constructed so the hunter will return their kill.

You should have one dwarf over at the sand planting plump helmets like crazy. Just dig out a small farm plot right below the surface. You can move your operations later, but for now if you don't set up a brewing center your dwarves will all die from dehydration.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 07:07:56 am »

Do exploratory mining for the underground river or savescum with reveal to find it, then muddyy a large area and harvest the bushes that will spawn, grow n farm plots in further muddy areas and put a well above the river or above a reservoir connected to the river, and put some grates over the river and fish, make sure to also eleminate the inhabitants of the river as they can cause trouble.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:56:20 am »

Wait...What DID you bring? 2 Apprentice miners? Did you not buy them skills at the embark screen?

I say abandon the Fort and start somewhere more newbie-safe. A place with a brook and lots of trees is nice.

Also, when you embark, choose "Prepare Carefully" and then buy skills and booze and stuff.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 07:59:25 am »

Also, why is the fertile ground on the other side of the map?

In other words, what's so great about your current location that you can't just rebuild over where there is usable soil?
Pages: [1] 2 3