Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How much food?  (Read 3351 times)

Angellus

Re: How much food?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 09:50:29 am »

Dwarven rescue delayed, sister's gone and daddy can't walk, no-one to do the newspapers...

Angellus

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 02:58:56 pm »

Damn, just started again, in the first five minutes nearly everyone died XD

My main miner is still going strong though, finally hit the sand.
My hope now is to last long enough for migrants.

EDIT:

Oh sh*t...
It's no sand...

Nearly all of the designated is stone, that leaves me with nothing to do, DAMMIT!  :D

EDIT-2:

Hauler gone berserk, killed cow and cat in only a few frames, I'm screwed...

EDIT-3:

Everyone's running from him now, and when I press <a> my complete screen turns purple... Not long to go, immigrants would be welcome now...

EDIT-4:

He found a muskox now, halls are red with blood, luckily that of the hauler, thank you muskox, if any dwarf lives trough this I shall give you a proper name!

EDIT-5:

Ok, farm plot layed down, 4 dehydrated dwarves are still alive!
Now only wait for a few months without any liquor ^^

EDIT-6:

My main miner has just given his life to try and keep the others alive, the farm plot is there now and being impregnated with my plump helmet spawn...

3 left alive...

EDIT-7:

Just had fun...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 03:11:32 pm by Angellus »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 08:07:48 pm »

Sorry.  Not at all a surprise, but still regrettable about the loss (not the fun).

Damn, just started again, in the first five minutes nearly everyone died XD

EDIT-2:

Hauler gone berserk, killed cow and cat in only a few frames, I'm screwed...

Actually, it took the same number of frames as any computer at any speed (several hundred or thousand, probably), but your computer is set extremely fast, I'm guessing well over 100 fps.

That might be one problem, that you're unable to see the details of what's going on as things whiz by.  You might want to set the max fps (in init.txt) to something around 50-75 or so, so you can pay more attention to how the little bearded morons go about their business.

At least until you get the basics down and need the speed for a megaproject or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:09:39 pm by Albedo »

Angellus

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 08:13:54 am »

I'm laughing my ass off here, going in for the 5th reclaim, each time I cleared the heap the orcs come in and rape my dwarves, few survive and they end up in a neverending tauntrum.

Angellus

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 08:57:04 am »

Ok, just hit the underground river, happy.
Monsters are appearing.. .not happy...

Oh screw this.
I'm drowning the fort with every last dwarf in it!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 07:40:53 pm »

Ahh, I see. You thought an underground river was like a regular one?

As a general rule, nothing good can live underground (except tower caps and dwarves). Imps, Fire and Magma men, Olmmen, GCS, HFS, Giant Bats; all sorts of nasties live underground.

I would strongly suggest trying again on a heavily forested map. As I said before, they come loaded with plants, wild game, wood, and arable land. And remember - farms first, then the fortress. Defenses can wait, orcs are just goblins on steroids. They're stronger, but still dumb as a brick.

You're dedicated though, you'll figure it out. Good luck.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Angellus

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 03:01:18 pm »

XD
I love this, the complete fort drowned exept for one dwarf. Who just got struck by melochany due to not getting his stuff (I let most of the moods just die, especially early on due to sieges coming a lot faster).

I'll take a forested spot again next time.
The big problem is that I want water (underground preferably, for towercaps :D) and a magma pipe (not pool, pipe, I will need lots of magma :D).
Now if I only could find those in one place... with trees.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 03:08:34 pm »

They're not hard to find, but new players have to accept that DF is not easy to master.  It's not a "Sim City" type game where everything is hugs and bunnies.  You give yourself a challenge - and you have a REAL challenge.

Also, reclaiming is not necessarily for the new player - unless you want to learn by failure, which is a valid approach.  You have a lot of dwarfs, but they're mostly untrained - that's a pain if you don't know how to manage them.

Use the Find function w/ Magma pipe, no aquifer, low evil, river, flux, UG pool (easier to find than an UG river).  If the world fails those, they can be changed to Magma pool (non refilling, but fine for a 1st fortress) or UG river.  Make sure there is wood - sand can come later.  Take notes on your Local embark map - draw a little copy, so you know where to search for the magma/UG features.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 03:16:23 pm »

I might post my key tonight... It's got a pipe, pit, stream and a surprise magma pool, Iron and copper visible from embark, and a marble layer 3 z's down.  There's a lot of trees on the north side (it's in 5 biomes).  There's a crazy ton of hostile animals, but none of them are dangerous (stuff trapped in the pit, or isolated in the pipe/pool.

There are two low mountain ranges coming from east and west, with the stream cutting between them.  I built my trade depot in the first mountain, channeled out the river and built a bridge to the other side which is where the fort will be.  (with a dual drawbridge structure over the water)

Edit:

Generating world using parameter set MEDIUM
 Seed: 4120329229
 History Seed: 3343541516
 Name Seed: 1683314602

It's in the lower left
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:31:16 pm by Granite26 »

Angellus

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 09:33:06 am »

I'm not new, dammit! I've been playing this on and off for about 3-4 years XD (Back when it was all 2d XD)

Thanks for all the advice.
I'll probably try the seed soon as I have some other things to do right now, thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]