Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54551 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Now brainstorming for Round 2!
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2009, 09:20:51 pm »

I want in on round 2.  Any idea on the ETA?

Got to settle on the nature of the challenge first... it seems like a Survival Challenge won out above all else on the vote, so it's probably going to be based around some sort of Dwarf vs. Nature challenge.

Last Poll Results:
Survival Challenge        - 20 (44.4%)
Military Challenge        - 8 (17.8%)
Construction Challenge    - 14 (31.1%)
Other Challenge           - 3 (6.7%)

On that note, what sort of Survival Challenges would you most like to see for DFM 2? A fort in an Evil Saltwater Marsh with multi-level Saltwater Aquifers? 7 Isolated Dwarves against a world owned by Goblins and Demons? A far-north outpost Fortress amidst untamed glaciers, teeming with Winter Wolves and Blizzard Men?

I've got a few ideas brewing, but I'd like to get some feedback from you guys on what you'd like to see in the next round of DF Masters. If you've got ideas, suggestions, or anything, feel free to share them.

Also, I'm headed out of town for a camping trip this Tuesday, so I'd like to get signups started by then!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:34:15 pm by Solifuge »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »

Personally, I'd like to see a few survival challenges along the way, so swamp/aquifer, glacier, melt-your-skin-in-summer desert, any are fine with me. Whatever it is, I'm likely to dig a big-ass hole in the middle of it, regardless.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2009, 10:20:05 pm »

Are you? What if you do a no-digging survival challenge and stick us out in somewhere with skeletal creatures.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »

That could be entertaining.

Howsabout an HFS challenge. Every day you last after release is worth 3 points, every season before you open it is worth -2.

'Fun' indeed.

Also, no silliness with caveins or any of that. Military alone.

Mwehehehehe.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2009, 10:40:38 pm »

A terrifying swamp with skeletal hippos and carp everywhere in a world ruled by raptors, orcs, and goblins.

And multi-layer aquifer.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2009, 11:18:48 pm »

That could be entertaining.

Howsabout an HFS challenge. Every day you last after release is worth 3 points, every season before you open it is worth -2.

'Fun' indeed.

Also, no silliness with caveins or any of that. Military alone.

Mwehehehehe.

I vote this.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2009, 11:22:50 pm »

Are you? What if you do a no-digging survival challenge and stick us out in somewhere with skeletal creatures.

I can do aboveground too. It's all good.

HFS challenge works, too, though the rules will need to be very clearly laid out on that one.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:50 am »

Can we pretty please pick our embarks this time around? I don't want to be stuck with a fisherdwarf when I don't need one, for example, and I don't want to know what I'm supposed to do with four pieces of graphite.

You generate the world, you pick the spot, but we get to choose our embark, should be the way it goes.

I vote for a survival challenge that is absurdly difficult. I liked the idea of a terrifying salt water marsh with several layers of aquifers, and then maybe on a tiny embark so that we'd get attacked a lot.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2009, 01:56:20 am »

Can we pretty please pick our embarks this time around? I don't want to be stuck with a fisherdwarf when I don't need one, for example, and I don't want to know what I'm supposed to do with four pieces of graphite.

You generate the world, you pick the spot, but we get to choose our embark, should be the way it goes.

I vote for a survival challenge that is absurdly difficult. I liked the idea of a terrifying salt water marsh with several layers of aquifers, and then maybe on a tiny embark so that we'd get attacked a lot.

This.

Also, will this contest be strictly vanilla DF or will there be some rounds with mods? If so, I also stand by my previous suggestion of Raptors and Orcs.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2009, 02:15:43 am »

Nano, Embark anywhere, Fortress on a Terrifying/Haunted/FUCKED UP volcano. Open to the World one that is...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2009, 05:47:40 am »

how about terrifying tropical forrest or river. skeletal carp and elephants will make us all fight for our life. or just a haunted mountain with magma and perhaps HFS. also we should make everyone [can_civ][can_learn] so that everyones at war with eachother.
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2009, 08:40:02 am »

Kobold Camp. Haunted/Terrifying Forest

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 16, 2009, 08:41:22 am »

I don't care about the setting for the survival challenge, because in every situation it will be FUN! :D
Just maybe...more difficult, more FUN!?
But no mods.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 16, 2009, 11:12:36 am »

A few neat ideas so far! I'm starting to get an idea for the challenge too. Also, I'm against using mods in most cases, unless it's to do allow something that is already in, or is intended to be in Vanilla DF. There may be exceptions, but it will be in rare cases. For instance, some challenges may have players put into situations as something other than Dwarves, which may require minor mods to ensure playability and fit the theme, but these will all be provided.

Also, as an explanation for those who missed it before, the reason I standardized the embark for all players was so that everyone would be starting from a level playing field. I gave the starting 7 theme-based skills relevant to the site, and kept them generalized to accommodate a variety of strategies. For example, the Fisherdwarf with Swimming and Wrestling skill was intended to be a dwarf who specialized in fishing for large river fish in dangerous rivers; if the fish gave him any trouble, he would dive in and go all Steve Irwin on them, and wrestle them into submission. What you did with him, however, was a choice left to each player.

I may be able to take a vote this time for starting goods, but I definitely want all players to start with the same set of goods and skills.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2009, 11:42:59 am »

I'm cool with the embark we're handed, especially on a survival challenge. Survival challenges are never a place you *want* to be, so presumably it's not a place you were prepared to be. It's a matter of making do with whatever motley assortment of dwarves and supplies you have in a place you never expected to wind up in.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25