Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54582 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whoa.  He did.  I'm amazed.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah Martin, I think you deserve to win this, your fort is pretty damn amazing.

Well, I don't think so. I barely got the digging done - the fortress walls are still going in, hell, the water isn't even flowing! There's stone everywhere, almost no military, and virtually no wealth or industry other than food. Relative to the scoring categories, I really didn't do the kinds of things I should have. Made more stone than y'all though!

I'm really impressed by Grimlockes'. There's a LOT of attention put into that - with the color coordination and design. I had considered building a bridge very similar to his with the pilings in the river, but I was really worried about being able to dam the river and decided to do the dig instead as it was safer (and I've done it before - check the outdoor fortress in my sig) - so I'm impressed by anyone who was willing to start with the river dam plan. He's also got a lot of wealth and I think he really got everything in balance.

I had considered stopping with just the south side done, leaving the north side natural, and finishing up (I should have done that, actually, since I could have finished everything). I think I was only 5 seasons from the deadline when I decided to do the major river dam and started to dig the north side. At least by then I had heard that others had done it.

aliosha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure why my save isn't working for you guys - shall I upload the entire game folder?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you can, that may work. It might be a tweaked file in the Raws that you didn't catch, or even something that was corrupted during upload, etc.

Try that, and we'll see if it works. I hope it does too!

Also, Judges, can we get a progress report?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a reminder that judges have less than a week to submit their scores to me via PM. So far I have received no scores from any judges, so you bums best get cracking!

A new poll has been put up, regarding Round 2!

Former Poll: "For Round 2, you would like contestants to have..."
57.1% Wanted to keep the time frame as is.
14.3% Wanted to have less than 5 game years.
14.3% Wanted to have more than 5 game years.
10.7% Wanted up to a month for entries, and more than 5 game years
03.6% Wanted up to a month for entries, and less than 5 game years

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

I voted survival challenge, since I'm a sucker for absurd challenges that are surmountable with enough effort and cunning. Though, I think some clarification on what each challenge involves would be appropriate.

Specifically, I'm wondering what the military challenge would involve. Largest military? Most number of kills? Number of legendary champions? Most babies killed in by protecting their mothers?

Also, can we suggest challenges?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I voted survival as well.

On military, Solifuge was looking at another thread with no mountainhome and all races at war with you, and limited equipment at embark. With a diverse map that could be quite interesting. For military it could also involve modding up enemies - size 12 orcs on fire-breathing, trap-avoid war elephants or whatever we think would really push the limits.

The challenge with things like number of legendary champions and most kills is that each map will result in a different number of immigrants and enemies. In the current challenge I could have had more champions than some forts had dwarves - and I had a really low wealth rating. If those could be controlled for in some way, it'd work better. I'd almost like to see an enemy that is certain to overrun the fortress and judge based on how long you last/how many you take down before the fortress crumbles. We all need to be sieged by SoF in year 5.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile

Survival for me too.

Can't wait for the results...what are our judges doing? Sunbathing near a magma pipe? ::)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Judge cancels judge: burned to cinder by fire imp?

That would explain it... well, I guess we will have to practice some patience.

Also, I voted survival as well. I like the challenges like 'survive with just a pick and a pigtail on glacier with only 1 dwarf'. They are a lot of 'fun'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Survival here too...
I actually was only just looking at that Military Challenge thing that was mentioned as I had loaded this page a while back, just wasn't thinking to post something...

As a reminder...
While I have stopped early,
My Save is up for Judging...
I just don't really 'care' what the outcome is, at least people will see it for what it could have been...
-Sigh-
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

aliosha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I'm going to have to withdraw then - I haven't been able to get at the interwebs in the last week, and it strikes me that uploading my game folder isn't going to help if you can't read my save file, because I'm got the Linux version.

Good luck to all you others, I'll try to make it work on the other rounds.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

My vote goes to Nevyn.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

3Dwarf Fortress Visualizations:

Humbling. 

Well done, one and all! (and I'm sorry we didn't get to see all of those who had to drop out - damn shame!)

So many challenges are valid and "fun" -

o a minimalist challenge, starting with 7 unskilled dwarfs and a pre-set, minimal amount of supplies, and a shorter time frame - maybe 4 years... total created wealth at the end being only one goal

o the "Play now!" challenge... most of us made that mistake early on, lets' see what the masters can do with it.

o the "Magma Madness" challenge - find a map with both pit and pipe nearby, a flowing water source of some sort, and see who the real mad scientists are!

o Industry Innovation - see who can build up the biggest non-standard industry (not metal, food, glass, furniture, etc - not the typical (ie "useful") ones.)

o Dwarven Spring Break - big salt water, go crazy.

o Hail the King - a mountain home worthy of a full set of nobles  (and no killing them off.)

Whatever is chosen, I do really like the "multiple goal" and judging standards, amd the "5 projects" idea, so competitors can go with their own strengths, at least to some degree.  And/or a combo of economics, construction and social goals (like a large military, or whatever).

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Judges, to your Judging Desks, scoring begins now!
« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2009, 04:24:39 pm »

I just got back from the Experimental Aviation convention this last weekend in Wisconsin, and returned to see several judge scores having been turned in! There are a few folks who have yet to get back to me, or who are in the process of finishing right now, so I'll extend it for a semi-flexible deadline (I feel that more scores is better).

Ok, I'm going to have to withdraw then - I haven't been able to get at the interwebs in the last week, and it strikes me that uploading my game folder isn't going to help if you can't read my save file, because I'm got the Linux version.

Good luck to all you others, I'll try to make it work on the other rounds.
I'm a bit bummed about the issues we're having between Linux and Windows DF... sorry Ali0sha. If you could export the map images from DF, and email them to me, I would compress and upload them to the DF Map Archive, so we can at least see what your map looked like!

Well done, one and all! (and I'm sorry we didn't get to see all of those who had to drop out - damn shame!)

So many challenges are valid and "fun" -

o a minimalist challenge, starting with 7 unskilled dwarfs and a pre-set, minimal amount of supplies, and a shorter time frame - maybe 4 years... total created wealth at the end being only one goal

o the "Play now!" challenge... most of us made that mistake early on, lets' see what the masters can do with it.

o the "Magma Madness" challenge - find a map with both pit and pipe nearby, a flowing water source of some sort, and see who the real mad scientists are!

o Industry Innovation - see who can build up the biggest non-standard industry (not metal, food, glass, furniture, etc - not the typical (ie "useful") ones.)

o Dwarven Spring Break - big salt water, go crazy.

o Hail the King - a mountain home worthy of a full set of nobles  (and no killing them off.)

Whatever is chosen, I do really like the "multiple goal" and judging standards, amd the "5 projects" idea, so competitors can go with their own strengths, at least to some degree.  And/or a combo of economics, construction and social goals (like a large military, or whatever).
Heh... for some reason I really like the Dwarven Spring Break theme. I'd also like to see opportunities for some Mad Dwarven Science and so on; I may even be a blasphemer and come up with an Elf or Goblin Challenge (I think a Goblin Fortress with a Demon King or Queen would make for an interesting challenge!)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Judges, to your Judging Desks, scoring begins now!
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2009, 07:42:00 pm »

Ooh! howsabout a location where you have to have every room open up into a chasm?!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25