Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54578 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Judging begins now! Judges have until the end of August 2nd to submit their scores to me via PM. Judges must score all Fortresses. at which point I will total the total scores for each player, and a winner will be determined! Scoring objectives are completely subject to the opinion of judges, and are as follows:

Scoring Objectives:
Judges rate each of the following categories on a 0-5 scale:
  • Terrible (0/5): It doesn't meet expectations at all.
  • Poor (1/5) : Not very good, it needs serious work.
  • Fair (2/5): Moderate, but could use some improvement.
  • Good (3/5): Nice, though it can be made a little better.
  • Great (4/5): Very nice, it's everything it needs to be.
  • Superb (5/5): Amazing, it goes beyond expectations.

Scoring Categories:
Rate the following categories using the above system. The scores in each separate category are multiplied by 5, and awarded as points to the Competitor. Also, the Fortress to score the highest in each category will receive a 10-Point Bonus. In the event of a tie, points will be split. As you rate each category, include why you scored that category as such. A sentence or two will do, but you're welcome to write as much as you'd like!

1a) Main Project - The Bridge:
On a scale of 0-5, rate the bridge. You can rate it on its construction, on the design, on how innovative it is, or on whatever other criteria you determine.

1b) 4 Minor Projects:
On a scale of 0-5, rate each of the remaining projects individually. Does it do something neat? Something new? Is it impressive? Is it awesome? These scores are completely up to you, and measure pure Dwarfyness!

2) Layout:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how efficient, orderly, and functional the Fortress is. Are workshops and stockpiles neatly organized, or are they a sprawling and haphazard? Are the halls clean, or lined with loose stone and ore? Are Dwarves constantly running into other dwarves and their animals in cramped hallways, or are they able to move around quickly to wherever they're going?

3) Beauty:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how pretty the Fortress is. Is the layout impressive, artistic, or imposing? Does it have a detectable theme? Are the halls smoothed and decorated with engravings, or are they bare and sparse? Are their neat architectural bits, or is everything made of squares?

4) Toughness:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how defensible and strong the Fortress is. Is it more like a Tank, or a Piñata? Are there thick walls topped with fortifications and archers? Is it armed to the teeth with traps, or does it make use of highly-trained guards? Is it defended with something special, like trained Giant Eagles or a treacherous trap?

5) Industry:
On a scale of 0-5, rate, rate how industrious the Fortress is. Are there a great variety of crafts being made, or is there a single high-tier focus? Are there many products at all, and are they any good? What resources have been taken advantage of, and in what ways? Is there a Cheese or Lye Maker who is employed in actual cheese/lye making?

6) Creativity:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how original and ingenious the Fortress is. Is something different about the Fortress? Does it do things in new ways, or take advantage of aspects of the map unexpectedly? Are things done with the usual techniques, or with something extraordinary?

Favorite Fortress:
After you have finished scoring, select one Fortress that is your favorite overall. That fortress will receive a 5 Point Bonus.

Final Score:
When all judges have submitted their scores, or on August 2nd, Judge's Scores will be totaled by me, Bonus Points will be awarded, and the winner will be determined. Judge Scores will be made public, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place contestants will receive a Prize of Indefinite Value. Judges who complete their duty will also be awarded a little prize too! :P

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

3Dwarf Fortress Visualizations:

Spoiler: A_Fey_Dwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crash2455 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Grimlocke (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Martin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nevyn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Webadict (click to show/hide)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Downloading now, except for Ali0sha and Skaltum. Not a clue what a .tar is.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Whoops. used to be my scoring for Grimlocke, but meant to be private.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:14:07 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to let you all know, that my Save is up for Judging, but only as a booby prize sorta thing, this was my first experience with playing the Game to the Full capacity, trying new things such as Sand and Glass production, Water Control, Building over Space and using time efficiently...

I Dream big but I am still a Youth in this 'World'...
Yet I know I can work with the big boys someday yet I will still enter that ring...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile

I love the 3D views, they look great!

Here's my modest overview:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Downloading now, except for Ali0sha and Skaltum. Not a clue what a .tar is.

.tar is a standard container format (like zip). It's been around forever. Can Windows not open .tar files natively?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Attention Blargityblarg, and other Judges:*
I would ask judges to keep their votes private, until after all scores have been submitted to me via PM, so Judges don't influence one another.

Also, I need to send a PM to both Webadict and Aliosha to redress missing or corrupt information.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:14:13 pm by Solifuge »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Sorry. My Minor projects (Which, ironically are so much better than the bridge) are the pyramid, dining room, tower, and the lame tomb of the forgotten right above the dining room. Soooo many fallen.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually Web, you could add in the Projects as Points of Interest on the Map.

I uploaded it here.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For further consideration, I uploaded pictures of AFD's paddle steamer (because it isn't visible in the overview).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:04:20 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehe, Thanks crash... I probably won't win this, but at least I made a cool ship  :P

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is a cool ship. I was a little deflated when I saw that after I built mine.

An interesting advanced challenge would be an ocean embark with a challenge to build a harbor. Would need more than 2 weeks due to the widespread FPS crashing, but that could be really interesting.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is a cool ship. I was a little deflated when I saw that after I built mine.

Yeah, but you carved your fort out of the terrain!  I can't believe that never occurred to me...
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah Martin, I think you deserve to win this, your fort is pretty damn amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25