Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54608 times)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Map up, contestants may start!
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:59 am »

i think for this time round, better to keep the settings as they are, and the time limit as it is.

if all the players feel that 5 years is too short/long/intense/boring/whatever, i'm sure solifuge can adjust the rules accordingly for the next round. however, best to stay on track for adjudication on the 18th for this round.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2009, 11:48:55 am »

Psh. If 5 years is too short, then something went horribly wrong.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2009, 11:56:31 am »

All done at last, not everything went as planned, but I think it turned out allright. I even had a few game spare... *phew*

End summary screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6379-rivercross

The 5 projects I would put of for judgement are:
-The bridge (this includes all bridges, pretty much everything crossing the majour river, but the main thing is the red/yellow one.)
-The central tower (hard to overlook, dont count in projects specified below)
-The dining room (made of white and green things, amongst which platinum bars galena blocks and a masterfull native platinum statue.)
-The perpetual 'generator', attached mechanisms and pumps (generates 4 times more the power I need, just like it should. efficiency isnt dwarfy.)
-Tallow soap/kimberlite shrine/farm! (its on top of the tower, has levers on top)

They are all visible on the upload map, but I would appreciate it if the judges would download the last save. I did go out of my way to make every construction out of blocks, and item quality and materials arnt visible on the map.

The final save can be downloaded here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1208
The earlier yearly autosaves can be downloaded here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1207

EDIT: I just viewed the map, and the waterwheels look all wrong... Like blue stones with a brown background. Weird.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:58:44 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2009, 01:24:34 pm »

Here is my final save
Years 1 through 4
The Map
Projects are listed on the map.

Final Stats:
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

aliosha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:33 pm »

Really sorry ... 1.7 mil in 5 years? How!?

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2009, 05:02:32 pm »

I stopped making crafts after a year because my craftsman was taking all the colored stone, and I realized I only needed to trade one box of crafts for everything I needed.  I restarted a few years later once I had run out.  Also, goblin christmas came rather late.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:47:03 pm by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2009, 02:54:05 am »

Ok, after 6 attempts on a different map of trying to dam a large river, I finally figured out how to do it.

2 seasons to go, and I am WAY behind because I decided to go for the other half of the major project. I'm hoping for ambition points to offset the mess/incomplete penalty I'm deserving to incur. And I'm seriously impressed with the forts already posted.

And 4 1/2 years in and I have a fortress value of 600K. You'll understand why when you see it.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2009, 04:08:58 am »

Okay, I think I have got it in 5 years. Just had to reload an auto save from the start of 1004 and try agian, except this time sizing the project down and using shist instead of logs of wood.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2009, 04:41:29 am »

Just a quick question
did anyone get sunberry seeds to grow after buying them from the elves???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 14, 2009, 04:57:14 am »

I regret to announce that I must forfeit the contest.
With my job and my new community fort I simply don't have the time to participate. Well, participate and sleep. You know how it is.

Best wishes, I hope you all make this contest memorable.
 -Nahkh
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42:10 am »

Finished result. The Point's of interest point to specific parts of each project, so don't judge the project on just one of it's parts.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-6390-afdsrivercrossentry

1 Bauxite Bridge, not exactly very interesting but it does go through a nice waterfall to keep the dwarfs happy and clean.
2 Circular tower, 13 stories high and has a flood system to drown any enemies who want to approach my fort from this side of the river.
3 Circular living area, The area from the first layer of bedrooms down through a legendary 2 story dining area ending at the bottom z-level with the dwarven crypts. Keeps with the circular theme of the above tower.
4 Dwarven steam paddler and dock, The steam powered boat ready to set sail into the river (If you can use your imagination a little.) It even has an engine boiler with improvised waterwheel as turbine and two ballista. The boat was supposed to be all wood with stone chimney but I didn't have enough time so I had to use some schist which has the same color as wood. Still over 200 blocks of wood in there though.
5 Workshop side, The work/farm area for the dwarves defended by a 3 z-level high wall. Also include the road and trade depot in this project.

Will upload the save soon, but currently my internet is slow and I can't get upload speeds faster then 3KBps.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:44:12 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:52 am »

Also finished.

Save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1213
Map:
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-6394

Five projects:
1. A legendary hall: the Wolf Hall is full of wolves calmed down by four waterfalls taking their water from the main river;
2. An aqueduct for the small river;
3. A "human-like" graveyard, with individual vaults. It's actually a test for a future fortress;
4. A bridge and a road. Simple ones. The road follows the small river pathway;
5. Stables/Animals shed, for my meat industry.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

aliosha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »

...The Point's of interest ... just one of it's parts.

I'm really, really sorry to do this... I'll just spend the rest of the day twitching if I don't. Neither of those apostrophes should be there.

I'll go hang my head in shame now

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »

...The Point's of interest ... just one of it's parts.

I'm really, really sorry to do this... I'll just spend the rest of the day twitching if I don't. Neither of those apostrophes should be there.

I'll go hang my head in shame now

Don't worry. I suffer from the same affliction.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2009, 07:14:08 pm »

Meh English, Sminglish... It don't matter to me.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25