Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54609 times)

aliosha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Map up, contestants may start!
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2009, 03:42:56 pm »

I don't understand how you guys put up with tilesets like that :) not only is normal text rendered unreadable, but the fortrees becomes... messy. Shrug.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2009, 04:07:26 pm »

I don't understand how you guys put up with tilesets like that :) not only is normal text rendered unreadable, but the fortrees becomes... messy. Shrug.

well, grimlockes is messy but most of us use tilesets that are much smother for when it comes to larger resulutions as apossed to the original squares 16x16. also they may be using df13 which for some reason distorts everyones tilesets
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2009, 04:45:39 pm »

I just don't like tilesets. I like to play in windowed mode anyhow...

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2009, 05:08:46 pm »

I just don't like tilesets. I like to play in windowed mode anyhow...

i cant do without the maydaybeefmo (dorfs) and maydaymax (enviroment and constructions) tilesets and for some strange reason DF likes to run at a faster fps when i use them
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

aliosha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2009, 09:28:08 am »

Bump

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2009, 09:33:34 am »

Has discovered recently that notes with symbols are great for planning.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

aliosha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2009, 04:03:46 pm »

Well, I'm halfway through year 4, castle almost ready, submerged dining+tombs also pretty good, almost there with the dam and the bridge is good to go. Looks like I might make it.

Only 1 death so far, a soldier.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2009, 05:20:21 pm »

I am on vacation atm and am only on my slow old comp... Ill see If I can whip something up on the 16th - 18th tho.... put me down as a competitor and Ill see what I can work up.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »

Woo! Year 2, and I've got my tower started, my pyramid foundation lined, my bridge built, and my premiere dining hall. And all of them look like crap right now.

My main attraction shall be my LEGENDARY dining hall: Decked out with Iron Tables and Chairs (Truly decadent, but less than Steel. And Platinum, if you want to believe THAT.), many Statues that emit happiness gas (Mist) And Engravings galore!

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2009, 02:12:53 am »

Almost finished year 3.  I think this is the first time I've had to resort to stripmining to fill masonry demands.  Also, this is the longest I've ever gone without experiencing any goblin attack.  I've gotten a few thieves, and that's it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:33:47 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2009, 06:05:51 am »

I gotta think of a new project.

An amusing fact is that all but one of the dead dwarves were thief detectors carp feed fisherdwarves.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2009, 08:45:15 am »

Woo! Year 2, and I've got my tower started, my pyramid foundation lined, my bridge built, and my premiere dining hall. And all of them look like crap right now.

My main attraction shall be my LEGENDARY dining hall: Decked out with Iron Tables and Chairs (Truly decadent, but less than Steel. And Platinum, if you want to believe THAT.), many Statues that emit happiness gas (Mist) And Engravings galore!
How do you make a waterfall if you dont have one on the map? Because I want to know how.

Also, do you have any good artifacts?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2009, 08:52:48 am »

How do you make a waterfall if you dont have one on the map? Because I want to know how.

Also, do you have any good artifacts?
I think he might use a similar setup to mine and waterfalls only need falling water.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2009, 10:21:57 am »

Damn, I gotta start working on this...

Oh, BTW, is it against the rules if the enemy is only temporarily blocked off from the fortress, and they die shortly after this blocking-off?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:23:40 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2009, 10:54:43 am »

Well, I'm halfway through year 3 and things are going okay. I've had to scale the main plan roughly in half, but I think it'll pass with the judges - it'll be apparent what would have gotten done with more time/dwarves and I think it works just fine with only half done since I'm really happy with how it turned out. I don't really have 5 projects - more like one megaproject, one or two regular ones, and oh, look at that megaproject some more! I still have some time, though.

Population is 91 at this point, fortress wealth is a little under half a mil, which is okay I suppose. We've been getting steady gobbo ambushes since spring of year 2 but only lost 3 dwarves to them. A legendary miner went down in the first ambush (totally wasn't expecting one that early and had zero defenses), a hunter migrated later in year 2 and before I realized he went off to find the cougar and hit two ambushes of gobbos, and just recently a new migrant peasant went off to clean a weapons trap in the outer trap layer and hit an ambush that spawned inside of that layer (when you see the map you'll understand the trap layers.) There are so far 60 dead gobbo/kobolds, which isn't bad. (I'm a bit spoiled with Morul wiping out that many orcs singlehandedly in a week) No deaths to carp. Almost lost some masons to a poorly placed wall/bridge combination that nearly blew them into the river. Decided to slow down a bit then.

I'm hoping that Jim and I aren't doing similar things.

And I'm not used to working with so little fuel - it's really killing me. I have 4 artifacts - 2 really suck (4800 value) but one is about 50K and the other around 90K.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25