Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54584 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Map up, contestants may start!
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2009, 02:06:54 pm »

The elves came...

Tame hedgehog FTW!

EDIT: And a kobold thief. I wonder if they steal corpses...
EDIT2: Where did that little k go?
EDIT3: There he is. Kill him!
EDIT4: The elves brought more booze than the dwarves. What kind of world have you created?!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:20:01 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »

I'm totally late for this, but can I suggest a dwarf happiness category for judging?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2009, 04:53:14 pm »

End of Winter, First Year:
The first miner died in a collapse and the second one have gone berserk after the architect drowned, bitten by a Longnose Gar. What a dreadful winter...
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2009, 05:40:25 pm »

Woo, mine's pretty awesome right now, but it's rather... bland. For now. I've got one year under my belt and my bridge is technically done, though what it connects to is questionable.

Here's the link, if you wanna see my progress (Or lack thereof): http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6315-rivercross

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2009, 05:59:34 pm »

I'm totally late for this, but can I suggest a dwarf happiness category for judging?

Happiness is one of the categories that grant Bonus Points. It'd based on the number and level of dwarf happiness, but it isn't something that judges score on (since it's up to the dwarves to be happy or not).

The elves came...

Tame hedgehog FTW!

EDIT: And a kobold thief. I wonder if they steal corpses...
EDIT2: Where did that little k go?
EDIT3: There he is. Kill him!
EDIT4: The elves brought more booze than the dwarves. What kind of world have you created?!

I noticed more than a few quirks about the world when it was genned... some of them might not be visible within a 5 year span, but I wont spoil it in the event that it does. As for the elves though, I didn't notice their latent alcoholsim in Legends; I'll have to look into if their Forest Retreat had been taken over by dwarves at some point in history.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2009, 06:24:02 pm »

Due to last nights major stuff ups with the Saves, gonna start again from the beginning...
Ugh, note to self, close down DF when talking to Girlfriend, else it will hide from you and make you think you closed it down...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »

Jim Groovester's Third Year Progress Report

Remember when I said that I'd have the major river dammed by the end of spring? That wasn't true. Damming the major river took far longer than I anticipated, however, the river is now successfully dammed. Except I put the walls in the wrong spot, so I'm moving the walls a touch to the left, and that's taking time.

Also, remember when I said I'd be collapsing the river banks soon? That took far longer than I anticipated as well, mostly due to the above. Everything's out of the way, so I could feasibly drop it at any time of my choosing, which will be soon.

By now, you should have a pretty good idea of what I'm planning on doing.

The dragon Slusu Lusnubolsmo Ngostoz Zuko arrived on my map in late winter. He proved no match for my cunningly devised wildlife capturing system. Unfortunately, he's arrived too late for me to do anything useful with fire in regards to damming the river. I guess I'll just have to use him to roast goblins. *sigh*

I've gotten five artifacts so far in the fortress. This is not unexpected, as I've been primarily focused on building things and moving junk around than producing the necessary amount of items to trigger artifacts. Two of the artifacts were leatherworker possessions, which was unfortunate. Speaking of leatherworkers, at least every migrant wave this year, and there were multiple, had at least one leatherworker arrive. They couldn't stop coming, it seemed. I hardly need more than one, and their labors were appropriately reassigned.

The elves brought a breeding pair of grizzly bears, bless their tree-hugging hearts. I've also got a healthy wolf population going, and I'll likely be getting a good cougar population as well.

I've dug out some dwellings for my dwarves. Some of them are leaking from holes that lead to the river.

The next step is building thousands and thousands of claystone blocks within the next two years and putting them into place. Then I can consider getting legitimate industries going, you know, once my fortress is completed.

I don't think I'll make the five year limit.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2009, 07:36:23 pm »

concluded my first year some time ago, but only got around to writing this now.

Will upload maps all at once later.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2009, 07:52:57 pm »

nvm...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 07:58:28 pm by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2009, 12:42:33 am »

Will we be judging from maps alone, or will the saves be uploaded?

Things like Dorf Happiness and Wealth will be difficult to gauge from a map alone.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:00 am »

Will we be judging from maps alone, or will the saves be uploaded?

Things like Dorf Happiness and Wealth will be difficult to gauge from a map alone.

i asked about this earlier - glad you considered it too. i think we are to judge by a map and some screenshots. screenshots for stats screen, random sample of dwarf happiness etc (for wealth and happiness respectively, and maybe to earn bonus points if the guy has decided to have only fisherdwarves or something....) and map to consider the architecture, check pathing (as best one can), and generally evaluate the style and scope of the design.

roll on the entries!

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2009, 05:37:05 am »

Funny story. I put grates on the lower levels of the waterfall to filter to filter out the fish and somehow ended up with a couple of groundhogs being caught by it.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2009, 06:04:38 am »

... theres like 6 dead pets/stray annimals at the bottom of my waterfall.

Are they suicidal or just stupid?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2009, 06:29:59 am »

How on earth are they even getting to the waterfall, does it go through the middle of everything you have built or something???
I am no where near the Stream nor made any waterfalls and yet I am hearing these tales of how pets are falling down them.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2009, 06:57:02 am »

Pets will stray near the stream. A fishy pulls them in. They and the fishy fight their way to the waterfall and weeeeeeee splat.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25