Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54571 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Map up, contestants may start!
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2009, 09:01:08 am »

Gah! I need my migrants! Everything is too slow! Also the elves brought sunberries, awesome :)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2009, 10:09:20 am »

A Novice Swimmer Fisherdwarf and some carps? I love the setting of this contest. :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2009, 10:16:13 am »

whey still no deaths (aside from a hoard of rhesus)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2009, 10:47:54 am »

That river is awesome, BTW.

I'll be starting this evening, after the festivities. I have a first unconventional project planned.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2009, 10:50:42 am »

That river is awesome, BTW.

Wow, I have to agree.  That's insane.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2009, 10:52:19 am »

this is carp paradise!  :o
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2009, 11:08:44 am »

journal log of overseer date unknown

damm looks like theres kobold spies sneaking around for the sake of the empire us original 7 will undergo name changes. i shall name my self skaltum.

end log

okay people we have 6 dwarves to name just tell me if u want 1 also the 7 have set professions that i will NOT be changing but i may change migrants when they come

there is:

thikut the crafter :F
inod the miner : M
iton the architect: M
sibreck the fisher : M
udil the cook : M
adil the farmer: F

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2009, 11:50:46 am »

I shall take the farmer.

I am Seedbeard!

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2009, 12:16:26 pm »

skaltum's log 26th limestone, 100, early-autumm

well nothing eventful has happened really. merchants came and i made a few requests for food while buying most of there stuff off them for a load of bone and stone crafts. turns out that our farmer has requested herself to be named seedbeard and has started keeping plump helmet spawn in a beard that she has started growing. realising that it would be pointless to talk her out of it i decide to take my disgust out on the few trees near the river. i think those carp were staring my muscly arms up.

end entry
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:42:12 pm by skaltum »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2009, 02:13:23 pm »

Jim Groovester's thoughts

1st Granite, 1000

T-riffic. An embark I didn't create on my own. More like DF Masters of Patience. 3x3 embark, major river in the center, stream entering from the bottom middle tile and flowing into the river. Multilevel waterfall, stream and river full of carp.

First order of business: dig slopes into the stream. Don't want my dwarves having fun with the carp.

Second order of business: see what I embarked with. Four pieces of graphite. I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do with this. Unless there's magma somewhere on this map, these will be totally useless to dam the river with the flaming graphite fire safe bin trick. Some mountain goat leather. I guess I'm supposed to make armor out of this or something. Would have been better to brought five extra dogs instead. Thank goodness there's an anvil. I'll be needing that to make more picks. Land deformation = Spirit of DF.

Ugh, who's the moron that gave the grower the gather plants labor? It's far better to give it to the woodcutter since they are basically the same job anyway.

Congratulations, cook/brewer. You are now a miner.

That stream's location is bugging me. Gonna have to move it.

Planning has begun on the project. It will be grand. It will require most of any migrants that come to complete within five years. Fun.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »

Do we have to provide a journal, or is it optional?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2009, 07:29:13 pm »

Do we have to provide a journal, or is it optional?

I doubt it, but it might be fun for you and others to keep people updated on the happenings of your fort.

Jim Groovester's First Year Progress Report

Number of carp related deaths: None. I don't understand why everybody thinks they're so dangerous.

Several creatures, notably not dwarves, have fallen down the waterfall. The cat that came with the embark was one of the first to go, and it's still down there with two red wounds. The female dog fell and died. All the creatures in the stream have also been eliminated.

The stream has been successfully dammed. I can now redirect it at my leisure.

Trading with the autumn caravan was uneventful. The stone goods produced bought a few items, mostly food, and a pick or two.

Cougars, wolves, and macaques have stalked around my camp. A wildlife capturing system has been devised, and is currently waiting to be constructed.

I received a seven dwarf migrant wave in the fall. I've reassigned all of their labors, so now I have six miners and seven masons. Six miners will likely be enough for my purposes, but I may need to bump up the number of masons to around twenty. I'm going to need a lot of claystone blocks for what I have in mind.

As for what I have in mind? You'll just have to wait and see.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2009, 08:02:10 pm »

Wish I had stumbled across this a while back, need a good distraction from this train wreck fortress I am failing to design. I for one as a spectator can't wait to see the final products, and if there is going to be a second round, can I claim a spot or something as a competitor...???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2009, 10:10:10 pm »

Nevyn, if you can get your tardy arse in gear, I can add you in as a competitor.  ;)

The contest started earlier today, and the important bit is that you finish your fort before the deadline, so the same goes for any other latecomers who want to tango with Carp Canyon.

EDIT: I like the Logs you guys are writing. They're not necessary, no, but it's neat to hear how this is progressing for some of you guys. Also, be sure to save a backup of your game each Spring too, for the Map Progress log!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:15:02 pm by Solifuge »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2009, 11:20:52 pm »

Well started, but whats the Point of the Graphite???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25