Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54521 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For Judges and Spectators: DFMA Map Viewer
For Competitors: DFFD Map Download

1st Place: Martin       (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)

2nd Place: Crash2455    (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)

3rd Place: Grimlocke    (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)

4th Place: Meta         (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
5th Place: A_Fey_Dwarf  (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
6th Place: Nevyn        (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
7th Place: Webadict     (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)

Disqualified from Scoring:
Aliosha      (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
Skaltum      (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)

Spoiler: A_Fey_Dwarf's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aliosha's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Grimlocke's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crash 2455's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Martin's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meta's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nevyn's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Webadict's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Judges: <9/10> (click to show/hide)

Overview:
DF Masters is a Fortress Mode competition held between Dwarf Fortress players, who compete for points in a predetermined Scenario. Players earn points based on completing Objectives, and based on scoring by their peers. Each Scenario will have unique rules and scoring methods, but in general scoring will be based on things like Exported Wealth, Population, Kills, Noble Tier, and so on, and will also be judged on traits such as the Organization, Beauty, Toughness, and Originality of the Fortress.

Round 1 will begin with Competitors, who have from July 4th-18th to construct their Fortress. They have exactly 5 in-game years to build their Fortress, after which they must save their Map file, and upload it to the DFFD for peer review and Judging. Judges then grade each Competitor's Fortress, and the winner gets INTERNET FAME... and perhaps a mysterious prize!

Good luck to all Competitors, have Fun, and may the best Dwarf win!

Rules and Guidelines:
1. Competitors must use the the Map file located at the DFFD link above.
2. You have exactly 5 in-game years to build your Fortress and prepare it for judging, from Spring (1st of Granite) of 1000 until Spring (1st of Granite) of 1005.
3. Make sure to save a backup copy for each Spring of every year of your Fortress. These are not used for scoring, and are instead for charting each competitor's progress, and for Emergency Rollbacks as described below.
4. Savescumming is NOT allowed. You may ONLY roll the Fortress back 1 year, and only under special circumstances with GM approval (if your fortress has completely crumbled, or is no longer playable due to program error, for instance)
5. Aside from graphics-related mods, you must be running the standard, unmodified version of Dwarf Fortress v0.28.181.40d, as found on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
6. Enemies, Sieges, and Hostile Animals must be able to path into your Fortress at all times. This means that you may not have your Fortress completely sealed during an attack, such as with a dry moat and drawbridge. Traps halls that will kill every enemy are allowed, so long as enemies can find a path through them. The ONLY exception to this rule is if you haven't yet bridged the rivers, and an enemy is on the opposite side.
7. 5 parts of your fortress will be judged as your "Projects". You may select 4 of them when you finish the Fortress, with the 5th being The Bridge described below. A project can be anything, such as a nicely-engraved main hall, an artistic bit of Fortress Design, a counting machine, an aqueduct, an execution pit, a guard tower, or so on. Creativity is encouraged, as is a plan!
8. You must build a bridge/bridges which cross the Major River, which will count as one of your Projects. It doesn't necessarily have to be one big conventional bridge, so long as something  allows units and goods to travel back and forth to either side of the Major River.

Scoring Objectives:
Judges rate each of the following categories on a 0-5 scale:
  • Terrible (0/5): It doesn't meet expectations at all.
  • Poor (1/5) : Not very good, it needs serious work.
  • Fair (2/5): Moderate, but could use some improvement.
  • Good (3/5): Nice, though it can be made a little better.
  • Great (4/5): Very nice, it's everything it needs to be.
  • Superb (5/5): Amazing, it goes beyond expectations.

Scoring Categories:
Rate the following categories using the above system. The scores in each separate category are multiplied by 5, and awarded as points to the Competitor. Also, the Fortress to score the highest in each category will receive a 10-Point Bonus. In the event of a tie, points will be split. As you rate each category, include why you scored that category as such. A sentence or two will do, but you're welcome to write as much as you'd like!

1a) Main Project - The Bridge:
On a scale of 0-5, rate the bridge. You can rate it on its construction, on the design, on how innovative it is, or on whatever other criteria you determine.

1b) 4 Minor Projects:
On a scale of 0-5, rate each of the remaining projects individually. Does it do something neat? Something new? Is it impressive? Is it awesome? These scores are completely up to you, and measure pure Dwarfyness!

2) Layout:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how efficient, orderly, and functional the Fortress is. Are workshops and stockpiles neatly organized, or are they a sprawling and haphazard? Are the halls clean, or lined with loose stone and ore? Are Dwarves constantly running into other dwarves and their animals in cramped hallways, or are they able to move around quickly to wherever they're going?

3) Beauty:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how pretty the Fortress is. Is the layout impressive, artistic, or imposing? Does it have a detectable theme? Are the halls smoothed and decorated with engravings, or are they bare and sparse? Are their neat architectural bits, or is everything made of squares?

4) Toughness:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how defensible and strong the Fortress is. Is it more like a Tank, or a Piņata? Are there thick walls topped with fortifications and archers? Is it armed to the teeth with traps, or does it make use of highly-trained guards? Is it defended with something special, like trained Giant Eagles or a treacherous trap?

5) Industry:
On a scale of 0-5, rate, rate how industrious the Fortress is. Are there a great variety of crafts being made, or is there a single high-tier focus? Are there many products at all, and are they any good? What resources have been taken advantage of, and in what ways? Is there a Cheese or Lye Maker who is employed in actual cheese/lye making?

6) Creativity:
On a scale of 0-5, rate how original and ingenious the Fortress is. Is something different about the Fortress? Does it do things in new ways, or take advantage of aspects of the map unexpectedly? Are things done with the usual techniques, or with something extraordinary?

Bonus Points: (GM)
Bonus points will be granted by me based on certain criteria, and including Exported Wealth, Notable Kills, High Population or Happiness levels, Artifacts, Surviving Nobility, Legendary Skills, Fortress Tier (Barony, Dutchy, etc), and more.

Favorite Fortress:
After you have finished scoring, select one Fortress that is your favorite overall. That fortress will receive a 5 Point Bonus.

Final Score:
When all judges have submitted their scores, or on August 2nd, Judge's Scores will be totaled by me, Bonus Points will be awarded, and the winner will be determined. Judge Scores will be made public, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place contestants will receive a Prize of Indefinite Value. Judges who complete their duty will also be awarded a little prize too! :P

** If you have a proposal for another Category, or there is one that isn't covered, feel free to suggest it!

Any questions? Feel free to ask here, or via PM!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:28:03 pm by Solifuge »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: [Competition] DF Masters: Round 1 Signups
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:43:35 am »

Will you have deadlines for the competitions? Will you be providing the maps or will we be generating our own?

I'm interested, but I don't know if I want to engage in a competition.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:59:20 am »

There'd be loose deadlines for each Round, but nothing unreasonable. Also, for this Round I have the Map pre-made, though this isn't necessarily always going to be the case.

Oh, and the Competition will hopefully just be for fun... nothing hardcore or cutthroat, especially since Judges are subjective. Even so, I'd like to give out little prizes for the winners to provide a little incentive to Competitors, aside from proving ones general badassery.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 03:25:53 am »

I guess I'll be the first to sign up then as a competitor.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:49:49 am »

Well, sign me up I suppose, though I wouldn't call myself a 'DF master'  :P

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 06:05:04 am »

I'd like to sign up as a competitor as well. I for one am in favor of pregenned starting locations. Gives everyone an equal footing.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:26:29 am »

<=== Judge #1!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:28:43 am »

Is rampant bribery allowed?
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:36:45 am »

Judge Please.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 09:37:20 am »

Is rampant bribery allowed?

Only in souls.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:36 am »

I'll be a judge, I've got a lot of time as I'm rather ill =P
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 09:51:10 am »

Do elves and cats have souls?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:38 am »

Hmm, how many judges and competitors will there be? I'll be either, I suppose, though I do enjoy competing.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 12:16:26 pm »

Rampant bribery is a matter between Judges and Competitors... though any knave who sinks to bribery will be chastised Hardcore. There will be much Thumb-biting and Looking-down-noses, and quite possibly a community-sponsored Drubbing.

Hmm, how many judges and competitors will there be? I'll be either, I suppose, though I do enjoy competing.

Web, I've not yet decided on a limit for Judges or Competitors. Judge scores will be averaged, so more Judges just means players will be scored more fairly... and the number of Competitors will stay reasonable to judge, but it all depends on how many folks are interested.

I'd suggest you do what you'd prefer to do. If you have time to build a Fort and want to compete, go for it. Elsewise, Judging is always there,

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 01:12:30 pm »

Ill be a judge, I guess
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25