Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54535 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: [Competition] DF Masters: Round 1 Signups
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 09:18:22 am »

I got time to kill. Count me in if you want more than 10 competitors. :)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 09:24:17 am »

I cant download anything as big as a dwarf fort save file due to slow internet.Could they just upload the map and pics?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 09:54:24 am »

I cant download anything as big as a dwarf fort save file due to slow internet.Could they just upload the map and pics?
Man that is some slow internet. And by slow, I mean, daaamn, you might as well be using semaphore.
Long Live United Forenia!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2009, 10:31:11 am »

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.  I don't have time now, but I'd be interested in joining a future round, if there is one.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2009, 10:41:42 am »

Man that is some slow internet. And by slow, I mean, daaamn, you might as well be using semaphore.

Nope just Dialup in kentucky.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 11:40:57 am »

DIAL UP?
Gods, you must wish you really had semaphore.
Long Live United Forenia!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 03:50:28 pm »

Okay, 10 was only an arbitrary limit, so I added the rest of y'all in for a total of 12 competitors and 10 judges.

at the very most the size limit i am willing to accept would be a 3x3 area otherwise count me out
The map is 3x3, with 3 tiles composing a Major River canyon, 1 comprising a tributary river/waterfall, and the other 5 comprising Temperate Woodlands.
(The image on the first post is a simplified Isometric Minimap FYI)

Judges will judge based on maps uploaded to the DF Map Archive, instead of having to download high data-volume fortress saves. Also, I'll be sure to upload an unaltered map of the site later tonight, so folks can start brainstorming.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 03:57:52 pm »

So I suppose that means aquifer? I haven't gotten through an aquifer since the pumping bug. Oh well now is as good a time as any to try again.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2009, 03:58:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think my judging will be done mostly from the architecture of the fort, but also how well it's doing dwarfwise. The major points I think I'll be looking for are, in order of how important they are:Awesomeness (megaprojects=bonus points) Layout (overall design of the fort), Looks (how much is smoothed, are there roads, is it cluttered), Prosperity (wealth, food stores, etc.) Fun (also know as peasant deathtraps, pet-impalers etc.) Defendability (does it have a good army) How will the scoring be done? Will it be 1-10, 1-50, 1-100 or something like that?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2009, 04:12:12 pm »

Can we get this competition going anytime soon? It's July 4th Weekend, which is a pretty good time to start.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2009, 04:15:05 pm »

As a general guideline for judging, pending the completed Scoring Card:

Judges will assign scores on a 0-5 scale, based on Subjective qualities, in categories such as Creativity, Defenses, Industry, Organization, etc. All judges scores will be averaged to reach a final score for each category, and points will be awarded accordingly.

In addition, I will award points based on Objective qualities, like total exported wealth, average happiness, highest-attained nobility tier, kills, etc.

EDIT:
Can we get this competition going anytime
soon? It's July 4th Weekend, which is a pretty good time to start.

Verily.

...I figure we'll start this coming Saturday, the 4th of July.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 04:16:40 pm by Solifuge »

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2009, 04:18:35 pm »

Will the scores from the judges be posted publicly, or will each judge send their scores via PM? If the latter option, then will there be any space for comments, some of which can be listed when the scores are revealed, or should they be posted in some fashion after scoring (or, indeed, omitted altogether)?
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2009, 04:24:55 pm »

Sounds like you need a committee to figure out proper scoring standards and procedures. And no this isn't just me stalling for time.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:12 pm »

offtopic

so nahkh how fairs the doom that is sparkgear 2?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2009, 04:40:14 pm »

As a general guideline for judging, pending the completed Scoring Card:

Judges will assign scores on a 0-5 scale, based on Subjective qualities, in categories such as Creativity, Defenses, Industry, Organization, etc. All judges scores will be averaged to reach a final score for each category, and points will be awarded accordingly.

In addition, I will award points based on Objective qualities, like total exported wealth, average happiness, highest-attained nobility tier, kills, etc.

So the ranking system will be like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25