Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54573 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Entries due by midnight Monday, July 20th
« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2009, 05:27:04 pm »

*DEADLINE EXTENSION* All contestants should have their Fortress Saves uploaded by 1800 GMT Monday, July 20th. I'll check to make sure forts are rules-kosher, and will upload maps with points of interest for the 5 Projects, and relevant Fort Data on the Map Archive for Judging.

Okay, I'm still in the process of catching up on the latest events, but so far a lot of these forts look and sound pretty excellent. I'm seeing a lot of innovation too, which is awesome! Sorry to those that may be disappointed, but I feel that because of my lack of being-here-ness, I'm extending the deadline until Monday, July 20th. It makes sense for players to have the whole weekend to work, and I am more in favor of a soft deadline anyway: it's less stressful for players, and I know that many of us have obligations outside of our Dwarfy duties. :P

I also updated the first post, and added a poll for Round 2, to see if there is a consensus for the timeframe of future rounds.

Judging will begin as soon as all entries are in, and complete Judgment criteria will be put up then. The entries added so far look great, and good luck to those still on the home stretch!

So... this looks pretty sweet and I'll probably join in for the next challenge.  Random question though: what did you use for making the isometric landscape pic in the first post?

Thems original pixels slapped together by yours truly. I hoped to do it more accurately, but I didn't have a complete library of Iso Tiles made yet. Hopefully the next round will have a better diagram (it may even rotate if I feel like getting fancy!)

Spoiler: P.S. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:32:07 pm by Solifuge »

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Map up, contestants may start!
« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2009, 06:05:37 pm »

urrrrghh gona need to count me out unfortunatly because my lil brother was on my com last and bein a lil prick has deleted my entire DF folder and emptied the recycle bin so unfortunatly i only have the map of yr4 late summer :/ got 2 side projects done tho anyways.

might upload map soon

well you can count my save out but heres the map tada! http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6440-rivercrosschallenge

enjoy guys  ;D
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2009, 06:19:21 pm »

Ok, done, in a matter of speaking.

Map
Save

I did not complete my plan. It's close, but it's a mess. I didn't have time to restart the rivers, clean up the 70,000 stone that I excavated, and finish up the little odds and ends by the deadline. I did play the map out until it was a proper state which was mid-spring 1006. That map was also uploaded. I don't expect it to be judged based on that, but I really have to finish what I start, so there you have it.

I thought a regular bridge and underground fortress was too obvious for a challenge competition, and decided to try a massive excavation. The other benefit was to bring the river into reach so that a dock/water trade scenario would be plausible (though someone else made a much better ship than mine). Rather than do something really spectacular and detailed, I went for the appearance of a traditional fortress, defensible as such, with a not-too-overwhelming construction. I like very clean, realistic maps, and detest strip mining and things like that. There's no excavation not used in some way. The sides are natural looking and are impassible to invaders except where designed with no loose rock left on the shores. It's the kind of place I would expect someone to be happy living.

I didn't really consider any of the judging criteria. My fortress wealth is embarrassingly low (everyone has been hauling rock, not doing anything to generate wealth), and I don't think anything here it terribly innovative, but I had hoped that aesthetically it would be unique among the contestants. Mostly I needed a building exercise after watching Morul bash the crap out of orcs for 2 months. :)

Things I was poorly prepared for:

1) I've been playing immigrant only fortresses for a year, and I forgot how quickly the population can skyrocket. I never planned the fortress to hold 130.
2) Lack of magma. I never play without magma and I struggled to reset my thinking around it.
3) Damming a large river. I actually had to fire up another large river map that someone posted a few months ago and practice damming that since I've tried doing it in the past and failed every time. Even so, it took me 5 attempts to work out how to deal with the particulars of water pathing. By the time I got my confidence to try it, I didn't have quite enough time to get it implemented.

Other things that happened:

Sieges started showing up in early 1004. The first siege was on the north side right after I started digging and there were NO defenses set up. I drafted all the miners and they wiped out two full squads without taking a single injury. Lucky doesn't even begin to describe it. The humans decided to siege as well, and got splattered on the outer traps. Another gobbo siege had the same effect. There's a caged bronze collossus on the roof that wandered into one of my cage traps.

Things I'm ready for in the next challenge:

I've got a much better sense of what 5 years can bring. Morul's fortress is in year 45 or so, and most of my others are 1-2 generations in. 20 years is nothing for me, I'm very patient, and 5 years is like a sprint. I've got a better sense of it now. 2 weeks is a good stretch of time. Even with that I was able to take a 3-4 day detour to figure out large river damming.

Bring on the next challenge!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Map up, contestants may start!
« Reply #258 on: July 18, 2009, 06:48:23 pm »

I have an idea for next round.

A 'BOLD BEGINNING

5 years.
Kobold Camp mod.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2009, 11:31:22 pm »

I hate sieges. They are my mortal enemies. How can 30 of my dwarves be wiped out so easily?!? I keep getting hit hard by ELITE MARKSGOBLINS! They take out everyone working on everything. It simply sucks. I might have to upload my save as of right now.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2009, 12:22:28 am »

Sorry, everybody. I'm going to have to forfeit. I don't expect I'll be able to complete the rest of my fourth and fifth year with the current amount of time I have left. I'd have to work on it while I'm supposed to be working, and I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Anyways, my plan was to build a giant dam, like the Hoover dam. The dwarves would have lived in its wings, and the workshops would have been in the center. I'd be able to seal it off and force goblins to go through outlet pipes, where I could drown them with large amounts of water.

It would have been awesome, but I'm not sure I would've made the time limit anyway.

Hopefully the next round will work better for me. As for the time limits of the next round, I liked the 1-2 week format, and I liked the five year time limit. Ten years sounds like too much time, and I wouldn't want to play a challenge fortress for a whole month anyway.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2009, 02:49:10 am »

I don't have the map uploaded yet, but here's the save.

Dukit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »

Fort fell apart at the end and I'm past deadline looks like I'm missing this round I will throw the map up later. I'll give it another go next round.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2009, 12:12:14 pm »

LET THE JUDGING COMMENCE!
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2009, 07:22:10 am »

The state of play - as far as I can tell:

Competitors: <13/13>
  • Jim Groovester - dropped out
  • Demonic Spoon - dropped out - thanks crash
  • nahkh - dropped out
  • Martin - map and save posted, and <z> screen later!
  • webadict - save posted
  • Grimlocke - <z> screen and map posted
  • Dukit - nothing yet
  • abculatter_2 - nothing yet
  • Nuke9.13 - dropped out
  • A_Fey_Dwarf - map posted
  • skaltum - map posted
  • Meta - map posted
  • Neyvn- dropped out but also posted a map - do you want to be judged?
  • aliosha - save posted
  • crash2455 - <z> screen and map posted

Judges: <10/10>
  • Barbarossa the Seal God - dropped out
  • Org
  • Metal Militia
  • filiusenox
  • Emmanovi
  • Blargityblarg
  • Samus1111111
  • Simmura McCrea
  • Rashilul
  • zooeyglass

I thought the ideal would be a <z> screen and map posted. would one judge be willing to go into the saves posted by some competitors and take a screen shot of the <z> screen/post a map, as needed? that would set things up nicely for us to adjudicate. unfortunately i do not have the technology to do so - apologies.

solifuge - are you making a score sheet for the judges to use as template?

finally, if i have got any of the above information wrong/people have changed names, etc, please forgive me and let me know and i'll update that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:42:42 pm by zooeyglass »

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2009, 12:10:05 pm »

Been a bit busy, and I'm headed to work in a matter of minutes, but I plan to have a Score Sheet up for Judges, as well as a list of Players, their Map File, and their Saves for them to work off of as of tonight.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2009, 02:26:21 pm »

DemonicSpoon dropped out a while ago (something about too much micromanagment).
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2009, 05:04:20 pm »

Here's my screen, modest as it may be:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summarizing things right now. If any players weren't able to complete the challenge, but wanted to share their saves and maps, it'd be neat to see them. Also, if judges felt so inclined they could still score them, to see how they would have stacked up against finished forts.

A_Fey_Dwarf  (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
Aliosha      (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info) ** No map yet submitted. Cannot open save file (may be running nonstandard raws)
Crash2455    (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
Grimlocke    (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
Martin       (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
Meta         (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
Nevyn        (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info)
Skaltum      (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info) ** Only 4 years complete. No Save. Needs to designate Projects.
Webadict     (Map | 3D View | Save | Fort Info) ** Needs to designate Projects.

Spoiler: A_Fey_Dwarf's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aliosha's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Grimlocke's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crash 2455's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Martin's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meta's Projects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nevyn's Projects (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:28:10 am by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25