Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What challenge would you like to see the starting 7 pitted against in Round 2?

Survival Challenge
- 29 (43.3%)
Military Challenge
- 10 (14.9%)
Construction Challenge
- 25 (37.3%)
Other Challenge
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Scores are in. Time to discuss Round 2!  (Read 54581 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: [Contest] DF Masters 1: Map up, contestants may start!
« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »

I reckon the deadline should be 1800 GMT, which gives a reasonable time of day for both UK and US.
Can I request the deadline to be pushed forward? I still have 1.75 years to go and Im afraid I wont make it.

How about we just have a really fuzzy deadline so that people who want to finish aren't barred by an arbitrary deadline in the middle of a Saturday which would be the perfect time to make finishing changes as well as the following Sunday and instead make the final deadline Monday, whenever you get it in?

As a neutral observer, I suggest two things:

1) That unless 100% of the judges (and maybe the participants too!) agree, no extensions be given.  This was advertised as "Masters", and Masters shouldn't need and so don't get wiggle room.

2) Since the deadline wasn't made clear, it should be interpreted as broadly as possible - which means midnight (2400) GMT, Saturday (which is, iirc, 7 pm for East Coast or 4 pm for West?).  Anything else makes it arbitrarily short for folk living more to the west, or extends it to "Sunday" for others. 

(This sucks for anyone in the Americas and only gets worse as you go further west, but the rules said "Saturday" - and short of confirming residency, it's either this or rewrite the rules at the deadline.)

Any submission received/posted on "Sunday" GMT would be too late.

Remember - I don't make the rules - this is a suggestion!!!

(And next time, both make it clear from the outset, and give everyone the full weekend to finish.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:51:20 pm by Albedo »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2009, 06:50:57 pm »

I say no to extensions

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2009, 08:40:39 pm »

Ok I need to know.
I am an Aussie so its right now Saturday Lunch time...
Do I have all day tonight till midnight or do I have until some time tomorrow to hand this in. Everything is finally moving along smoothly, lost a couple of War dogs to Ambushes, got one upset Marksman from it but he will cope...
Everyone thats doing nothing is now making blocks my Miners are hollowing out the south side of the Mountain, Claystone level only, might move down the Schist level for the upper floors shortly...

I think that I will make it, I hope still got a year and a half to go, though I can't pick what my projects are... Kinda upset I started too close to the waterfall one the stream to make my Moat for the south cause now there is a back flow into the streams waterfall thats pulling nearly all the water out of the moat, still some there but too many 1z fulls of water but the second waterfall is moving along nicely (ish)...

Both Guard Towers are completed to 8-% of their efficiency, might add another layer or two to them for some more points, but so far I got two Marksmen guarding these entrance ways each...

Barracks are complete, except for a room where I earlier stashed all the gobbo Prisoners gonna have to start on a dungeon soon ish, is there a way to transfer prisoners to Iron Cages from their wooden ones without them killing the Warden???

The Storehouse Level is competed to 90% of its project, just need to work out what will be stored there and how to divvy up the space efficiently. The Floors to the Workshop and Kitchen Levels haven't been competed yet and neither have the walls but I have started to bridge the flooring for the Dinning hall in Jetstone, had a good bit of it lying around due to the Jet C ulsters that are in Claystone.

Artifacts are as such
Perfect Aventurine - Legendary Gem Setter, bugger...
A Claystone Quern - Possessed damn it...
A Magnetite Bed - Legendary Mason
An Iron Shoe - Legendary Armorer (Shows up on both of the last two)
A Magnetite Table - Legendary Mason
A Jet Table - Legendary Mason (This one also has a Gobbo as well as the Shoe, my guess is that the shoe is kicking the Gobbo cause it don't say whats happening to the gobbo...)

The Tables is so going to Boost over some Noble's Dinning halls to Royal, specially the Jet Table, got Red Diamonds and Rubies and Emeralds...

The only down side to my Construction is that Crafting is kept to a minimum so my Fortress wealth will be quite low (still under 1mil)

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2009, 08:43:59 pm »

Claps for Neyvn

I cant wait to see the tables.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:00 pm »

Here they are...
Shoe included. The tables were the first time they started to show art on them.
(Ugh Frame Speed is killing me... 30 during Merchant and Gobbo ambushes...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/LeonNeco/Shoe.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/LeonNeco/Table1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/LeonNeco/Table2.jpg
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »

Lol.

Table One, by the name, sounds like a Student Desk.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2009, 09:37:05 pm »

Just go a Leather Shield shortly after posting the last set (more like mood and only just finishing) I had hoped the Humans had brought Leather cause it would have been kick ass if it was a Great White Shark Leather shield over the Cow one it is....

On it is a Moon Hidden by a cloud...

rossbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2009, 10:09:39 pm »

As another neutral observer, I don't expect that my voice will count for much, but I vote for the option that involves more bridges to admire.  There's already a limit of 5 years in-game, so an extension wouldn't allow for more construction time.  It would allow more time for planning, perhaps, but it would also help those who've had real life interfere with their glorious works.  Speaking purely as a neutral observer, I'm more interested the mastery of the execution rather than the speed at which it's executed.  Therefore, I think a reasonable extension should be given if it will allow more contestants to finish within the 5-year time limit.  (Unless, of course, everyone's already done, in which case I guess I'll just go admire some bridges.)

Dukit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2009, 12:05:10 am »

I may have to miss this round. It depends on if I can get ~2 years done in the morning. Good luck to everyone.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2009, 02:08:54 am »

Procrastinators of the world, Unite! (First thing, day after tomorrow...)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2009, 05:17:53 am »

Well by the looks of things, I am not going to make it...
Which Sucks...
I have created the shell of a wonderful fortress but I will not be able to Outfit it with Chairs, Tables, Beds, Doors and so on. Seems that like always the Baron slows my construction speed down with his mandates and shit like that, and well the annoying fact that the Dwarfs never finish a job correctly all the time. Gonna try and finish the Bedroom floor, which was to be the first of three but this is taking forever!!!

Even if there were more Dwarfs I doubt I could finish it...
Ugh...

Jobs Unfinished..
Bridge Supports - Only got 2 layers of the four great pillars that was to reach all the way down to the Water, I know I started that a bit late but the Gobbo ambushes kept distracting me to do so.
Bedroom Level - As of this moment (Early Summer last Year) I am trying to finish up the flooring of the first bedroom level, but this is unsuccessful as FPS is taking forever and the Damn Dwarfs keep getting distracted, YES I KNOW ITS 7Z UP BUT DON'T FUCKING DROP THE BRICK THERE AND GO BACK DOWN FOR A BLOODY DRINK!!!...
Furnishings - Well Not much to show for this, no one has a proper bedroom and there's no Dinning Hall as of such, damn it another year or two would have had this thing finished...

My regrets, I can't finish it, and will have to post it 78% complete...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2009, 06:01:02 am »

Oh and just to make things even better...
I forgot to make sure that there is some floor attached to the parts I am shaping, I really should have done this the long and tedious way cause for one thing it would have taken less time and I wouldn't have a Death of my Legendary Gem Setter threatening to spiral the rest of this out of control...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2009, 07:25:06 am »

Well I surrender...
I can't finish the major Project, my Castle, mostly unfinished.
But what I have done i shall put up to your mercy...

I never really play past the second Year, getting bored by my self set projects so this was a new Eye Opener for me, the need for more then the normal or supposed booze and how tedious gobbo's really are, and how useful Cage Traps are too. Never used Traps before cause I normally seal Forts with Bridges and have everything self Contained by second year...

So want to be in the next one. Though, just had me not used to everything I had experienced in this one. Next, I shall be ready...

This is it...
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1231

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2009, 08:13:06 am »

I may not be able to post mine until very late tonight. If that means I forfeit my spot, so be it, but I will be busy for much of the day.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25