Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65

Author Topic: SparkGear 3 - With A Vengeance [Now with Dig Deeper] [OVER]  (Read 119922 times)

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SparkGear 3 - With A Vengeance [Now with Dig Deeper] [Sign up now]
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2009, 06:07:49 am »

That means dogs are better than cats, relative to DF. My dog catches flies all the time.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2009, 06:49:15 am »

HERESY
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2009, 07:08:51 am »

Archimedes' Log
I feel that now the time is right. I managed to get myself appointed Dungeon Master of this remote, orc-ridden village on the fringes of civilization so that I could realize my dream of the Dwarven Orbital Magma Cannon. The poor saps here will build the tower for me, and then they will pave the sky, and it will be glorious. I will make the screws and pipes necessary for such an endeavour.

1st Hematite
Few notable events. I am levelling the top of the northwestern hill in order to have flat terrian for my masterpiece. Elves arrived and were ambushed by goblins. That was most entertaining. A miner was possessed and started running around gathering things, so I paid him no mind. Eventually he went insane, however. I suppose he wanted glass or shells or something. They found his naked corpse at the bottom of the stairs. The clearing of the hill ran into a few difficulties: my miners caused a cave-in. One of them died, so I ordered them to mine from the top downwards. That often led to them mining away the rock they were standing on: one miner landed on his horse and broke her leg. Most amusing. Then he somehow caused another cave-in, but, tough as he was, he was merely horribly mutilated instead of killed. He is now recovering in the barracks, with his injured horse on top of him.

I also ordered my quarters expanded. I now have proper rooms, instead of the cubbyholes which are common in this fort.

25th Limestone
Work on the cannon is encountering some difficulties, primarily the lack of wood for the windmills and axles. Nevertheless, we can now pump magma to the surface: the next step is to build a tower and pave the sky. I considered using the gigantic statue that was apparently built in the first year here, but it was not in a suitable location.

Two interesting events also happened: a child has been possessed and is demanding wood and shells and cloth and gems and bones... it figures. There was also an orc siege of three squads, mainly swordsorcs, axeorcs and wrestlers, with a few hammerorcs mixed in. No boworcs, fortunately. They are still outside, thanks to a zombie wyvern that intercepted my marksdwarves when they went to a hill which I didn't order them to go to: apparently they were acting on the orders of a previous ruler of this place. The first casualty was a baby one of the marksdwarves had been carrying; the second, also a baby she was carrying. She was carrying them both into combat. Her two older children also followed her, and spent the battle running around waving their arms in the air. Stubs the marksdwarf joined them for a while before overcoming his brain injury and actually fighting. To make a long story short, the wyvern disabled my entire military. Retreat is not the dwarven way, and so my course was clear. I drafted the entire fort (except myself, of course) and sent them against the wyvern. Zuglar the combat clerk got the kill.

Casualties:
Dakost Akmamingiz Ninurvanel, elite wrestler. His machine-gun crossbow skills will be missed.
Kikrost Oslandesor, random woodcutter.
Zas Olonsefol, Buttercup's baby.
Melbil Rithlutmonom, Buttercup's other baby.

Injuries:
Skid, bald tyrant (entire left arm and half his right arm cut off, lower body broken. Is superdwarvenly tough, but unconscious and will likely never be able to walk around without falling unconscious constantly). Pity it wasn't Stub - would have been appropriate.
Kib Rigothusen, butcher and siege operator, (left leg cut off at the knee, remains able to move around without falling unconscious).
Stubs, elite wrestler (mangled arm).
Sibrek the child (right arm and leg mangled).
Lor the marksdwarf (broken arm).
Buttercup the marksdwarf (broken arm, still ecstatic despite having lost two children).
Edem the farmhand (broken leg).
Urist the marksdwarf (broken leg).
Ducim the woodcutter (mangled leg).

Most of an orc squad was eliminated, but there are still a lot out there. A special tomb will be constructed for the casualties beneath the site where the battle took place, and the wyvern corpse will be placed within. Dakost's tomb will be decorated in recognition of his champion status.

1st Moonstone
Gasp! The wyvern corpse has entirely disappeared, except for a single bone... odd. We are still short of wood, and have no shells for the child. I wish the tower caps would grow faster.

3rd Moonstone
The child finally went berserk. Aldaris saw him causing a public disturbance and laid into him with such ferocity that I immediately promoted him to Captain of the Guard. Nobody will commit minor offences on his watch.

10th Moonstone
A vile force of darkness has arrived! I thought we were already under siege. Oh well. I can make out five squads, one of which is boworcs. A child has been taken by a fey mood as well.

26th Moonstone

He says they're markets. Smoking markets. I don't know what that has to do with anything, but alright.

28th Obsidian
We have begun to pave the sky. Oddly, the dwarves seem to be afraid of the orcs waiting below, even though they are separated by quite a large amount of sky. One of the masons also gave birth while working on top.

22nd Granite
A carpenter made an artifact hatch cover.

17th Slate
Saw a full-grown tower cap in the underground forest today. Soon we will have wood! Just need to wait for more to mature...

8th Felsite
My tomb is complete. Once I am buried there, my underlings will pump the room full of magma. I am relinquishing control of the fort now, in the hopes that others will carry on my work.

Notes:
  • Artifact crossbow remains on the hill where the zombie wyvern was felled.
  • Military is mostly bedridden at this point.
  • Basic design for the magma cannon is that you pave the sky and put in intermittent floor hatches which you connect to levers in corresponding locations (orthoclase is magma safe in this mod - remember that), fill the sky-reservoir with magma using pumps, and drop it on orcs. Forget statues: you people will finish this or else.
  • We're out of bones for bolts. We have a lot of skulls though.

Played for a year and a bit. Save

A million points to anyone for whom the phrase 'Buttercup's Baby' rings a bell.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2009, 07:37:59 am »

The... the children. You killed Buttercup's children.
YOU MONSTER

Aaargh. I _just_ got the fort running half-decent.
Perhaps the next guy should just lock everyone back in the underfortress. Anyway, who's next?
Oh lord. It's Barbarossa.
As much as I dread this, you can start your turn early since Wimdit is already done.

(Obvious Princess Bride reference is obvious)

EDIT:
Could you post a complete list of deaths/arrivals/births that happened during your turn? Who's the dead miner?

Also, waah at people not being careful with zombie wyverns.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:41:44 am by nahkh »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2009, 09:14:51 am »

Here is me. I am downloading.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2009, 09:37:15 am »

Don't kill too many dwarves. I don't think we'll ever get any more immigrants.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2009, 09:58:31 am »

What! You claimed the dungeon master?! Booo!!  >:(

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:18 am »

About megaprojects, could you please make them even semi-plausible? While the engine technically lets you pave the whole map over while supported by a single tile, it tends to break the mood quite a bit. Build some supports for it or something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2009, 11:13:56 am »

BEWARE THE SINISTAR.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2009, 11:22:24 am »

... I see we have a new meme on the block.
I guess my reply would be "Run, coward!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2009, 11:25:12 am »

The Seal God must make a giant Sinistar statue to honor the Sinistar.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

Not a half-bad idea actually. Our current dining room is kinda primitive. A massive dining hall with a Sinistar mosaic floor?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2009, 12:03:13 pm »

Not a half-bad idea actually. Our current dining room is kinda primitive. A massive dining hall with a Sinistar mosaic floor?

Yes.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 12, 2009, 12:26:36 pm »

I think we even have the necessary materials. some realgar, lots of microcline, alunite for the white parts. I don't think we have any really dark stone though.

Oh scratch the realgar, magma pools.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 12, 2009, 12:49:44 pm »

On completely different note, cats in real life are just as good at hunting vermin as they are in DF. I just watched my cat hunt, kill and eat a fly. Gross.

Yeah, I've seen that too.  You can hear the fly trying to escape every time the cat opens its mouth.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65