Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What does real silence sound like?  (Read 14007 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
What does real silence sound like?
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:50:59 am »

I have never heard complete silence before. Even at the dead of night or in the middle of a desert, I will have this strange tone or white noise playing in my ear. Is this normal? Do other people hear this as well when there's nothing to hear?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: What does real silence sound like?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:52:30 am »

Most of the time in silence, there's a buzz, but only due to fireworks.

SOMETIMES though, it's amazing. silence rocks.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:01:54 am »

Yeah. Real, heavy silence makes your ears buzz. I think it's just a side effect of being an urban creature, our brain is so used to hearing and interpreting vast amounts of sound that the absence of the sound makes us generate our own noise, or something. Examples would be...

The kind of silence where you can hear the rustle of leaves and the forest creak in the wind is nice.

The kind of silence where you hear nothing except your own breathing makes my ears buzz and ache for any sort of sound and is uncomfortable.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:07:33 am »

Apparently it's a medical condition in the same line as a common cold being a medical condition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Unless I hear it in only one ear, it isn't a problem. Or so they say.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 01:21:11 am »

As far as I know, some of that noise is also caused by your eardrums and internal muscles tightening or relaxing.  Basically, when you're in complete silence, your eardrum stretches taught because it's trained to pick up sounds.  Movement inside the ear gets translated in all sorts of funny ways you don't notice when you're hearing stuff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:22:35 am »

Sometimes I get exploding head syndrome (look it up on wikipedia if you don't think its real :P) - people tend to look at me funny when I clutch my ears and yell out for no apparent reason. Also, I can't stand tuning forks - they have a similar effect.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 01:25:19 am »

Complete silence sounds like turning a TV on. :P
Sometimes that sound may be an electronic on or something. I was in my room and I thought my TV was off, but it wasn't.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 01:31:24 am »

I had something kind of like exploding head syndrome once, but not that loud.  I was standing there, and suddenly I heard white noise and garbled voices coming from behind me for a few seconds, and then it was gone.  I've also occasionally heard audible responses to thoughts.  They're never anything more than a yes or no, though.
Shoes...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 01:32:48 am »

Yeah I got tinnitus in my left ear. Some kid thought they would be funny and let off some fireworks next to my head while I was sleeping. I will never hear silence... Always this constant high pitched whining. Always.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:34:41 am »

Yeah I got tinnitus in my left ear. Some kid thought they would be funny and let off some fireworks next to my head while I was sleeping. I will never hear silence... Always this constant high pitched whining. Always.
Hollywood! Quickly! Turn that into a movie!

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 01:38:30 am »

Man.

Silence sounds like rumbles to me, like a building falling or something.
Probably because I have tinnitus, I dunno where it comes from though.

I also randomly get this high pitched ringing noise in my ear, which dissipates over time.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 01:49:54 am »

While it's nice to see I'm not the only one who has never heard silence, it's also kinda sad.

But I guess since I don't know what I'm missing, there's nothing to miss.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 01:52:10 am »

Consider it a good thing.  The only way to hear perfect silence also ensures you'll never hear anything else.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 02:00:51 am »

Consider it a good thing.  The only way to hear perfect silence also ensures you'll never hear anything else.

You can still "hear" things while you're deaf. They'll just be ghost noise though. Or ringing, depending on the cause of your deafness.

I have slight hearing loss, where simple instructions are just hard for me to understand (Like the directions to the bathroom <.<)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 03:08:18 am »

Yeah, I think silence is that Tinnitus ringing sound. They did an experiment with Tinnitus sufferers and compared them to a control group (a bunch of normal people who were locked in a silent, soundproof room). The normal people started hearing the same noise as the Tinnitus sufferers. So, a solution to Tinnitus was that they were trained to ignore the sound, just like people normally ignore the hum of a computer or refrigerator.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6