Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Create a Mod  (Read 1347 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Create a Mod
« on: June 26, 2009, 11:21:25 pm »

I've gotten a bit bored making my own mods for myself, so I've open up this thread to make mods for others. Describe what you are looking for in a mod and I'll either post it here or link it to you on DFFD.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:06:32 am »

I'd like to be able to play any of the vanilla civs (Dwarf, Human, Elf, Goblin, Kobold). Is it possible to work this, or would you have to have seperate mods due to the fact they would have different mechanics?

If you can't, then I'll take Human Fortress, since vanilla and mods already get you Dwarves, Goblins and Kobolds.

Also, I have a smaller, but really weird one. It's HFS related.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:10:45 am by Praetyre »

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:23:09 am »

Just go into the entity_default file (in the raws) and cut [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from dwarves and paste into whatever race.

I've probably got this horribly wrong but it's worth a try.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:40 am »

Just go into the entity_default file (in the raws) and cut [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from dwarves and paste into whatever race.

Ehh, I know that, but something just tells me it ain't that simple. There's bound to be a hell of a lot of weird stuff with trade, mining, diplomacy and the like.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:33:33 am »

That would work, and the way you would chose the race is from what city you pick at the embark map.

As for the HFS mod above that sounds fun give me a sec.

Now your idea for a pit is a bit more complicated. I could create a whole new deep stone that is labeled happy meals but to the best of my knowledge I can't influence the engravings there to much, also the game won't be able to tell the difference between the two deep stones so you could embark onto a location with one or the other.The attack causing the Dwarfs head to explode in gore I have done to a point. I can't make the creature target a specific body part but I can still make whatever it hits explode. The horrors from the deep message can't be changed either since it is hardcoded along with what shows up in the deep. Overall I found this japanese Ronald Mcdonald funny.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:50:44 am by mission0 »

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:06:34 am »

It's that simple? Since, I heard people have had bugs with trade when playing as gobbos.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:08:20 am »

It's that simple? Since, I heard people have had bugs with trade when playing as gobbos.

There would be some bugs but I haven't tried to play as more than one race before. I know that you can chose the race from the city you start from.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 02:42:49 pm »

I think there's a language file you can put it in, as a shape. But that just means it will pop up as a basic shape (along with all your squares, triangles and crosses) rather than have logical context.

Also, why does Donald have [genpower:5]? You know that's not used for anything, right?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 03:36:15 pm »

I think there's a language file you can put it in, as a shape. But that just means it will pop up as a basic shape (along with all your squares, triangles and crosses) rather than have logical context.

Also, why does Donald have [genpower:5]? You know that's not used for anything, right?

Used one of the other HFS monsters as a template then shifted it around.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 01:08:53 am »

As for the Goblin Trade glitch, there are two problems with them, both easily fixed:
A) They don't start with domestic animals, thus they aren't suppose to trade (lack of horses and all that).  However, they still trade, but unofficially (aka no liason).  Add the [USE_COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag, or something like that, and they're good.  I had to struggle with this for two days before I found the answer.
B) They're set as [BABYSNATCHER], which means they hate everyone and everyone hates them, in vanilla DF.  Remove that if you want the gobbos to play nice with everyone else.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 08:44:13 am »

Alright, in regards to Donald, I have a few questions:

First, how do biomes work for HFS? I don't see one listed, so does that automatically set it to appear anywhere, like the ANY_MAIN token? Also, it has the [EVIL] token, yet can appear on any map, regardless of alignment. Also, what effect might creating a, say, altruistic Donald have? Would it have some strange effect, like him acting as a nurse to your dwarves?

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:58:31 am »

Alright, in regards to Donald, I have a few questions:

First, how do biomes work for HFS? I don't see one listed, so does that automatically set it to appear anywhere, like the ANY_MAIN token? Also, it has the [EVIL] token, yet can appear on any map, regardless of alignment. Also, what effect might creating a, say, altruistic Donald have? Would it have some strange effect, like him acting as a nurse to your dwarves?

The [ENDING] or [DEFENDER] tags are what put a monster inside HFS. I'm not sure what effect altruistic would have. I'm sure it would still try and kill you though.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »

How are the graphics coming along for Donald?

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:59:07 pm »

Sorry I'm horrible at pixel art, it would probably be best to modify a previous clown graphic. Otherwise the one I will come up with would be a red and yellow blob of some sort... >_>