Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Biggest Mistakes in the world of DF  (Read 3136 times)

Angellus

Re: Biggest Mistakes in the world of DF
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 01:22:15 pm »

1. Cave-in above my entrance to repel a goblin raid, the goblins died, sadly the ceiling also came down on my meeting hall below...

2. Installing the Orcs...

3. (back in the old days) Wrong placement of floodgate causing the world to flood, blocked it with a door. Dwarf opened door...

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 02:16:51 pm »

Changing homeotherm to 9900.

Not changing the cold damage point.

Slow, painful deaths followed.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 03:58:04 pm »

Me using Dwarf Companion to make one of my Dwarves a Frog Demon with 100 Strength 100 Agility and 100 Toughness ( 6 Is the best you "Can see" to put it in perspective. ) gave him a good weapon. Then i made him berserk...

Dwarf Companion does these stunts so you don't have to.

DO NOT. TRY THIS AT HOME!
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 03:59:00 pm »

That wasn't a mistake, mistakes are boring.

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 06:01:43 pm »

Not getting a proper military set up until the goblins attacked (this forced me to go back to a previous save).

On a lesser note, channeling out the native silver floor in the hopes that I could get more silver.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 06:21:11 pm »

Much like an earlier post, I was removing an overhang blocking my view across my moat. I expected a collapse, and got it and another. I sorta blocked the second from my attention and paid dearly for it. The stone broke straight through my moat, through my barracks (housing many hurt dwarves) into my legendary dining room I spent countless time lining with hundreds of statues, tables and chairs. I had to seal off the small hole in the barracks with a wall, and lock my awesome dining room up :(

Always pay attention to collapsing operations :(

Angellus

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 07:38:10 pm »

Starting out with max dimensions and 200 dwarves cap.
FPS has never been so low nonexistent...

Lovely how much can go wrong with this game :D

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 10:05:57 pm »

Not realizing that my magma moat opened to an unused corridor in the farm area until the magma had reached the 5x5 central stairway complex.

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 10:16:07 pm »

Gotta say it was when I decided to put a fishing hole underneath my underwater arena without using a two floor pump method.

So much flooding ensued.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »

Deciding to send wrestling champions armed with swords to fight deathquest class orks. Death happened.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Mashirafen

• Bay Watcher
  • Meow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 01:42:25 pm »

embarking with the fish dissector skill.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 02:51:43 pm »

Training up Champion wrestlers and then giving them masterwork Steel boarspears (Like regular spears except they don't get stuck) before their armor was done.  And forgetting to set them to "On Duty".

At least it means I need to make less tombs.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 03:06:26 pm »

I left my retracting spear trap on repeat after a siege and allowed dwarves back outside...

Much pointy death followed.
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Angellus

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 05:05:35 pm »

I left my retracting spear trap on repeat after a siege and allowed dwarves back outside...

Much pointy death followed.
That one is just brilliant :D

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 05:34:39 pm »

After nearly a year of dodging aquifers, I finally carved a tunnel from beneath my (soon-to-be) magma foundry to the distant volcano. I set up several pumps to push the magma up to the right z-level, and then along a 1-tile wide corridor to the foundry.

Nervously, I penetrate the magma. My miner flees and escapes, I lock the door behind him, and soon after the pumps move the first units of magma up to my tunnel. All is well, so I head up to the rooms for my smithy and order a few channels dug. I hadn't dug the channels before, since I like getting the impassible tile over the hole and didn't know where I'd want each building.

A few moments later, I notice that my new holes were dug to the side of the tunnel, punching two different holes in the walls. Holes which breached the maze of passages surrounding the tunnel. Holes that my workers were running around in. Holes which were moments away from being filled with magma, flowing quickly thanks to my pump system.

That was fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3