Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Biggest Mistakes in the world of DF  (Read 3134 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Biggest Mistakes in the world of DF
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:41:49 pm »

I want to know your biggest goofs/mistake in Fort mode such as caving in a trap to kill goblins only to have it go all the way through your fort.  This will hopefully be an open chat and sort of help line.
Nom nom nom

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest Mistakes in the world of DF
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:02:40 pm »

not really a BIG mistake but, first time really working with screw pumps and the like, and i ended up haveing some of the water for the well leaking into the pump room, i fixed it just by making a hole with magma in it to evaporate the water so it wouldn't flood the production level. problem solved!
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:51:32 pm »

I just set up my well in my current fortress and I completely forgot about pressure, so the well flooded and I had 7/7 water sitting behind a door. Well, Urist McWatercarrier comes up and opens the door.... *SPLOOSH* .... all this water comes out, my dwarves start drowning, and the water goes down my central staircase straight to my bedroom level and proceeds to begin flooding all the rooms and I get a ton of spam "Urist McStupid cancels Eat: Dangerous Terrain" messages. Luckily the door shut automatically, but all my dwarves were spooked and sat in their rooms for around a month...... Luckily my millitary was not part of this and successfully defended my fort from 5-6 ambushes that actually occured in my fortress..... I have now demanded traps be built and dogs stationed outside. Also I will hopefully remember about presure on my next fortress :P

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:03:26 pm »

Removing [EYES] tag from dwarves.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:15:42 pm »

You can't just leave us with that ToonyMan! What happened?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:20:11 pm »

You can't just leave us with that ToonyMan! What happened?

Well the mistake was that it was BORING.  Dwarves didn't seem to change at all.  Maybe I did it wrong.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »

I think I have most beat.

On one of my first fortresses, I dehydrated my starting 7 because I forgot to assign drinking zones... Or more like, I never knew about them in the first place.

Then again, I probably embarked on a site lacking water as well, and ran out of booze.

When it happened, I was wondering why my dwarves weren't waking up from bed on the third day (sleep cycles). Except maybe one, and he tantrumed and threw everyone's beds until he passed out and dehydrated as well. :(

Amazingly, I had what wouldv'e been a pretty nice first-timer fort setup. Damn shame they all died before anything could really be done.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:48:40 pm »

Multiple cave-ins of punching one-tile holes clean through the fort's useful levels. I have grass in the mineshafts. GRASS, for armok's sake.

Building a merchant drowner in a succession game. It got abused when they wrung the instructions out of me.

Hooking my aqueduct system up to the brook. Laaaaag.

Leaving holes for an aqueduct with a waterfall in it to overflow and flood the map.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:10:08 pm »

I had no water source on my map, but it was raining damn near all the time. I decided to build a vast machine that would exploit the bug that caused a screw pump to take in a small wad of water and spit out a 7/7 wad of water, on a massive scale, to create an infinite water source for my fountain at the base of my tower. The Great Dwarven Water Stretcher!

About halfway through, I decided to do a test run to make sure the infrastructure worked. I then discovered that particular bug had been fixed quite some time ago, if it ever existed at all.

Undaunted by this setback, I used my existing infrastructure to build a perpetual rainwater collecter and cistern. This cistern would pump water into the mountain, at the base of my tower (pics later; not today). The Great Dwarven Rainwater Cistern!

Then I found out I miscalculated a pressure oddity and my fountain flooded. Fortunately it was not "perpetual" yet, and still had an on/off switch, so I turned it off right away. I can still have my fountain, but it would require a fair bit more micromanagement, which defeated the purpose of the original project and the quasi-original project.

Then I realized the flooding created a perfect farm room in the broad trench below the fountain, which solved the conondrum of how to move my farms into my tower, so it wasn't a total loss.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:41:12 pm »

In setting up a waterwheel, I unwittingly channeled out a square that led to the first floor of my fortress flooding surprisingly quickly. The worst part is it was at the very start of the underground river, so there's no chance of damming it. 

Also, before I had really figured out cave ins, I had all my legendary miners go through cave ins and get head injuries within a 2 minute time span. Luckily they were all super tough, and they eventually came out of the comas and are happily mining again. I had already trained some new miners though, so now I have 10 miners and very little to mine.  :-\

Some others were simple things like having the miner in my original seven dig out a channel he was standing on, and watching him plummet into a river and drown.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 12:30:34 am »

Somehow, I managed to lose a fortress that I'd spent the better part of an afternoon working on to a magma flood.

... Now, I'm as much for a little fun as the next guy, but come on. I scalped the corner off of the wall near a trench running from the magma pipe to my forge. Set the mine command, got up to get myself a drink, came back to find my band of seven quite a bit crispier and meltier than when I left them.
Kinda like a marshmallow, except bloodier. With guts and stuff. But not anymore, just magma. Ick.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 02:16:10 am »

I dug out an external tree farm, 3 of the walls were Constructions the other was real mountain which I carved out using the create RAMP (so the top is cleared as well)

Unfortunatly I forgot to remove the ramps, so when I sealed all the doors and filled it up, there was still an entrance.

Either way, the dwarves decide that to construct my obsidian floors they need the rocks which were currently submerged. So dwarves (note: plural) actually run down the ramp to get the stone, start drowning, cancel the construction job, and try to find their way out, drowning in the process.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 03:47:27 am »

I don't have too many big mistakes, since I'm normally fairly cautious.  Most of them were on my first fort Whipcaught.  Let's see:

I had an overhang of rock, because there was exposed platinum on the surface as one of the first metals I had found, and I had mined it out.  But there was still a floor left above, and it provided an area that attackers could hide under outside my walls, so I decided to remove it.  What's the easiest way to remove it?  Mine out it's support and it'll come crashing down to the ground.  So I did, and it collapsed, and hit the ground.. and kept going, down through at least 4 or 5 levels of my fortress, killing a few dwarves and smashing a few artifacts among other things, and leaving me with a large multiple story hole through my fortress where the floors used to be.

Another one, is when I was trying to get crocodiles out of the cave river and capture them.  I had a nice idea of making a set of grates by the edge of the river, and then I'd dig into the side of the underground river, the water would pour out, fall down through the grates a couple of levels, and get pumped out to the surface, while the crocodiles would walk across and into the traps.  And I had it all set up and controlled by levers from a distance, and I channeled out the tile to the river from above.  When I realized, that I can't make a 3-wide entrance out of doors.  I had known this but had somehow overlooked it in my construction.  So when I tore down the center wall, it was all the was holding the center door in place, which got deconstructed, and let all the water flow through with no way to stop it.

Well, I thought, ok, that's a problem, but it's not that big of one, because it'll just get pumped back out to the surface.  Which is when I noticed the second mistake that I had made, I had been constructing the pump tower from below the grates to the surface, and so I was leaving sealing off the bottom of that pit as the last thing to do (because workers needed to get in there).  Well, I had apparently forgotten about that, so instead of just dropping down to the bottom of the pit and getting pumped to the surface, it was flowing out into the rest of my fortress.  Fortunately it was my tree farm, which was already mostly sealed off, and I was able to get any vertical passages out of it sealed off before the water had time to spread very far.  Although it did flood my mechanics level that I needed to get power to additional pump towers.  But I did eventually get a couple more pump towers built, and reclaimed the flooded areas, and got a working door built to seal off the cave river breach.

Other then that, my artificial waterfall lake was probably a bit of a mistake.  I built an underground multi-level lake, and filled it, and had pumps from the bottom of it back to a few levels above it.  So there would be constant waterfalls around it, and I built a floor out to the center of it from the sides where there was a central well.  But I underestimated how fast pumps move water around, and how willing dwarves are to cut corners, and how easily a bit of water can apparently push a dwarf off of a narrow slippery floor. :)  So instead of some gentle waterfalls into a lake, it ended up with massive torrents of water pouring down into a giant whirlpool, the constant flows of which pulled anything that fell into it down to the center of the bottom of the pool.  Which ended up being coated with a layer of bones that slowly built up over time from whenever anyone fell in.  I eventually remembered to mark all the water areas as restricted, and that helped cut down on fatalities a bit. :)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 04:17:56 am »

I have killed my dwarves in very obsure ways... the worst I guess was accidentaly walling of my dwarves from water source. When I noticed they were dying from thirst, digging to near pond was designated. I hit HFS on the way. Amusing.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 04:25:03 am »

Played around with the thermonuclear catsplosion on an alternate world from where my running fort was. Forgot to reset the raws before reloading my real save. Hilarity ensues. While preparing to kill the process, the season changes. Autosave. Fun ensues.
Pages: [1] 2 3