Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Long Term Suggestion: The Final Frontier  (Read 1479 times)

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Long Term Suggestion: The Final Frontier
« on: June 26, 2009, 05:34:56 pm »

This is going to sound stupid, but I think a cool addition to Dwarf Fortress would be space travel. Discuss.
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: A Long Term Suggestion: The Final Frontier
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 05:42:48 pm »

We're not even getting steam power, and even magic flying fortresses are a maybe.  I doubt it's going to happen.

Might happen with Dwore though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »

I know it's unlikely. I want it anyway. It would be so badass...Colonizing planets with dwarves!
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »

Would it just be multiple world maps, or are you suggesting some kind of space fortress? Of course, this would happen after the army and caravan arcs, so the space travel would still be involved.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:09:44 am »

I'm sure that Toady would include inter-dimensional portals when he implements magic (or the ability to script them), as well as custom maps and physics controls. After that it's only a matter of creating an inter-dimensional portal to "space" where there is no gravity and there are large floating mine-able asteroids drifting about and your dwarves will instantly implode unless they are wearing your custom made spacesuit clothing (now 99% HFS)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:34:55 am »

I don't think we're getting a chance to visit space, but the dimensions thing has been mentioned before, IRC, its in the dev notes aswell, i think. So yea, don't expect booze powered rockets or orks going WAAAAAAAGH DAKKA DAKKA.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:58:54 am »

So, the final frontier is the sky, or the abyssal depths of water. ( But not the abyssal depths of caves/the earth )

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:06:36 am »

Slaves to Armok 12: The Final Frontier, release date 2069
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »

Here's a question. Are sub-worlds to be generated along with the worldgen or not?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 05:18:24 pm »

This is going to sound stupid, but I think a cool addition to Dwarf Fortress would be space travel. Discuss.

You're right, it is stupid.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:24:42 pm »

You're right, it is stupid.
Read the rules.

WHEN REPLYING TO A SUGGESTION

* Try to make a contribution. If you like a suggestion, say why you like it and try to refine it if possible. If you don't like a suggestion, say why and be civil about it.
    * Be respectful.  If you don't intend to show respect, do not post.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 03:40:47 pm »

Space has too much baggage.  We'd all be comparing it to "real" space and whinging about incident solar radiation and the "right" way for Olivine asteroids to collide.  I think the way to go is to allow the generation of magic realms with weird properties, like zero-gravity or triple-speed plant growth or time dilation.

Although there is a certain appeal in having an adamantine capsule streak from the sky and blast a crater into the planet, out of which seven dwarfs, a dog and three camels emerge...  Build a trade depot with landing lights and a control tower...
I brake for stumble bumblings

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:01:42 pm »

It could be a rather interesting worldgen event!

On 231, a rock fell from the sky into the Traded Whip's territory.

Mining said rock could get you some rare metals, or maybe breach some kind of alien HFS :o

In the summer of 231, Cthulhu The Endritch Tentacles the old one received the worship of Urist Urisurist the dwarf
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:11:38 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:30:07 pm »

I think traveling to other planets would be SICK.  Especially really odd ones with weird wild life and such and such, but I don't think that's going to happen..........yet!
Pages: [1] 2