Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Water barrels?  (Read 2776 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water barrels?
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:37:38 pm »

What if you could purchase barrels of water from caravans? It'd make it easier to play on maps with no easily accessable water source. Not many people do that, though, so...

Eh, it's just a little thought. It'd only be useful for people who make the mistake of settling in places with no water (like me, unfortunately).

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Water barrels?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:08:08 pm »

learn to use the search function
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 06:35:55 pm »

That could have been said more politely, but yes, this has been suggested in the past. It'll probably get implemented around the time that stills start requiring water to make booze.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:50:59 am »

Also: as wounded dwarves need water, and water freezes in winter, wouldn't it make sense to store some for your wounded?
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:09:48 pm »

Now THERE'S is an observation that makes a boat-load of gameplay sense.

That is not sarcasm if it sounds that way: that reason is enough to make it in the game asap, as far as my opinion goes (not very).

But since I get the feeling barrels and booze are somehow implemented a little hackish-ly, I am inclined to agree with Derakon there.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:30:50 am »

Yes, Aldaris, that is exactly what I had in mind. Any other use of barreled water hadn't occured to me.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:36:01 am »

not only that but it could also be used in designations, like dumping a barrel of water on hot magma/lava to cool it down so that you can carve into it.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 12:27:49 pm »

Water stored in barrels gradually becomes unpalatable over time unless there's alcohol in it to kill the bacteria.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:11:47 pm »

Water stored in barrels gradually becomes unpalatable over time unless there's alcohol in it to kill the bacteria.
I think we can deal without that aspect. That'd just be pushing too realistic.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:17:40 pm »

I don't think it's too realistic. Water can already become stagnant. It should do the same in a barrel.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 07:30:41 pm »

It can?

Well, nevermind what I said then. I don't have much experience with water... Wow, that sounded dumb.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 07:20:20 am »

Couldn't you boil the water to fix that hurdle?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:51:30 am »

I don't think it's too realistic. Water can already become stagnant. It should do the same in a barrel.
In buckets/on the floor, i.e. open to the air[1].  Which implies that sealing in barrels could be at least as good at keeping water non-stagnant as the various ways of keeping food fresh (just by being on a food stockpile, even without being stored within a barrel?  ...certainly without obvious pickling/salting/refrigeration) manage with the other perishables.

[1] Which begs the question why (full) open ponds and constructed reservoirs don't go stagnant when not touched.  Probably there's some microbiota/duckweed-type thing that keeps the less friendly biological processes at bay.  I'm going to consider that a 'sub-Planck' process, as far as DF physics/biology is concerned.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 05:14:59 pm »

[1] Which begs the question why (full) open ponds and constructed reservoirs don't go stagnant when not touched.

They don't?  Are you talking about DF or real life?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:14:46 pm by Footkerchief »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »

Mixing booze with water in order to keep the water potable isn't far-fetched or extreme at all, really. People in ages past tended to drink diluted alcoholic beverages as a matter of course, and that's probably one reason why.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2 3