Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Water barrels?  (Read 2767 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water barrels?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 07:12:41 pm »

definitely... the term 'toddler' came from infants drinking small beer because it was safer for them than the local water

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 07:42:09 pm »

I don't think that's right, but I could be wrong.

I see one site telling me that the first recorded use of it was from the 1790s. Besides, "toddler" makes sense regardless since they can't walk well whether they're drunk or not. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:35 pm »

Water as a commodity isn't farfetched at all, and it would enable some gameplay styles that are conspicuously lacking at the moment, so I like it very much.  But yeah, I've only been around a month or so, and I'm sure I've seen it come up before.

Dwarf fire brigades would be totally rad, for the record.  I spend a whole season trying to build an aqueduct to extinguish my flaming turtle stocks (dumb fisherdwarfs kept running over there, throwing in a new turtle, then scampering off to fish, wreathed in flame), and I was about 80% done with it when it up and rained.

In retrospect, I probably should have just built a little platform up there and designated a pond.  Would that get me a bucket brigade?
I brake for stumble bumblings

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 10:27:26 am »

FYI, this has been discussed ad nauseum.  Do a search on water barrels.  In short, you can't haul enough water into the desert to make it worthwhile.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 10:37:02 am »

FYI, this has been discussed ad nauseum.  Do a search on water barrels.  In short, you can't haul enough water into the desert to make it worthwhile.
Tell that to Exquisitor Vorbis!

(Ok, so it wasn't exactly easy on the men dong it.)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 11:11:15 am »

I hardly think discworld is a good reference for the feasibilty of something

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 11:38:39 am »

I hardly think discworld is a good reference for the feasibilty of something
The likes of Wyrmburg aside, I think a lot of Discworld holds up to logic.  Think of everything from food supplies to waste management that Ankh-Morpork works with, it's not random or hand-waved.  And even the magic (levitation, transmutation, etc) is effectively rule based when Sorcerers aren't involved.  Even if you're talking about Hex's "breaking the rules before the universe finds out" method, given that "surprise" is one of the main building blocks... :D

But I'm not willing to argue this to death, just consider it as an examplar in leui of my remembering enough about RW situations like the one from the time of Ghengiz Kahn that I can't remember nough details about to bring to the forum.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 11:42:10 am »

I don't think it's too realistic. Water can already become stagnant. It should do the same in a barrel.

We finally have a use for silver coins!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver#Clothing
In the 19th century, sailors on long ocean voyages would put silver coins in barrels of water and wine to keep the liquid pure.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 11:44:48 am »

Obviously if you're a caravan, you're only going to bring water (or logs, or raw stone, or anything else bulky and ordinarily cheap) if you expect to be paid based on the cost to you of hauling it, not the value of the good. Currently caravan prices are out of whack since everything is based solely on the global value of the good being bought, but if that's changed, then water caravans wouldn't be out of the question at all.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 02:00:16 pm »

And assuming you don't need water to make booze, you'd only need a little water each year.  A few units for irrigation, a few for health care, and one barrel to be pumped around in a circe to generate mist..  I bet you could last a year on three or four 7/7 water zones.  If a barrel hold, say, 5 units of water, you're looking at five or six barrels of the stuff.  If you don't have enough water for medical purposes, of course, then you just lock the wounded in their rooms and let 'em die.  Nothing to it.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 05:16:48 pm »

Also: as wounded dwarves need water, and water freezes in winter, wouldn't it make sense to store some for your wounded?

That's half the point of inside or underground cisterns. Water that's inside won't freeze or evaporate due to temperature(1/7 evaporation not included, of course)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 07:43:45 pm »

Water caravans might be improbable in real world economic terms, but I don't see why it should be impossible to order barrels of water like we can booze. Sure people will think you're crazy, but as we see countless times in real world history, if you have enough money people will do whatever you want regardless of how crazy they think you are.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 08:36:09 pm »

The thing is that you'd have to shell out a LOT of money for it to be worthwhile at all to the caravan. Like someone else mentioned, the caravan has to make money based on the distance traveled (and difficulty of doing it), not just a profit based on the value of the goods sold. A caravan trekking across the desert to give you water is going to expect a lot in return even if the water isn't worth much.

For what it's worth, copper also helps to keep water sanitized. Silver might work better, but I'm not sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 08:55:34 pm »

The thing is that you'd have to shell out a LOT of money for it to be worthwhile at all to the caravan. Like someone else mentioned, the caravan has to make money based on the distance traveled (and difficulty of doing it), not just a profit based on the value of the goods sold. A caravan trekking across the desert to give you water is going to expect a lot in return even if the water isn't worth much.

A barrel of water shouldn't cost more than a barrel of very cheap booze - in terms of shipping, they're functionally the same.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 09:33:41 pm »

I imagine even really cheap booze is going to be more valuable than water by a substantial margin, though.

And even if that's not true, then the point I'm making just applies to cheap booze too. The point is that the effort and time spent traveling needs to be reflected in the profit the caravan makes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3