Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 'Excessive' School Searches and related...  (Read 3621 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Excessive' School Searches and related...
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:57:26 pm »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105896231

So, this VP, decided that it was a good idea to have a kid, a girl, non-trouble maker, honor student and all that... strip down to her underwear and 'shake it' for a search for drugs.  Based on the fact that she has been seen to hang out with a 'bad crowd' and that someone accused her of distributing drugs.

Its fine and all that the courts found that it was wrong.  But...
Therefore, the justices ruled that school officials cannot be held liable in a lawsuit over the search. They said a lower court would have to decide on the liability of Stafford United School District No. 1.
Why does the school get the liability?
Sure, the VP did the search in 'good faith' but that should not make less his liability.

American justice... has been moving in the wrong direction.  Especially when it comes to shit like this and 'work'.

The 'entity' is generally fully liable for some shithead who makes the shithead decision.  This is how man crap CEO's and other top of the line decision makers get away with their shenanigans.  Its also how they give themselves raises and bonuses... and say it was the 'entities' decision.  You know, like the bailed banks...

And guess who gets shafted in the end here?  Thats right, the stupid kids.  Just what we need more of... more uneducated people with the right to be stupid.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Excessive' School Searches and related...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:22:52 pm »

Public school students in the US have an abysmal lack of rights.

If our society treats its kids like criminals, what do they expect them to grow up to be?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:30:19 pm »

Criminals.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 03:05:58 am »

Lol. She was searched for ibuprofen? Really? And they looked for this in her underwear?  I remember going to school a few times with medication, like when I had a strep infection in my foot and was on antibiotics. How come I didn't get strip-searched? :(

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 04:23:17 am »

We were encouraged to bring (legal) medications to school because teachers themselves are not allowed to administer any (eg, bring it yourself otherwise suffer in pain)
Magma is overrated.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:42:51 am »

What I think is stupider is when students bring abhorent amount of illegal contraband to their schools thinking that they will get away with it. It actually happened at one of my schools where a kid showed up for a trip with thirty or so pounds of marajuana on him... but I digress.

I think that the VP should be held liable for his search, and maybe it should have occured to him to question the accuser or search both their bags?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 08:59:42 am »

I'd like to know what would happen if he DID find drugs on her...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:12:41 am »

I'd like to know what would happen if he DID find drugs on her...

Uh, they'd probably suspend her and give her detention or something.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:30:12 am »

No to her... The VP!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 11:16:58 am »

No to her... The VP!
He'd probably ask her to take off her underwear or something perverse like that and get himself into trouble anyway.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 11:39:14 am »

*edit* Gah, hit quote instead of modify!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:41:39 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 11:40:18 am »

It actually happened at one of my schools where a kid showed up for a trip with thirty or so pounds of marajuana on him...
I don't believe that. 30 pounds is like 60 000$ worth of pot. Where would a kid get that much money? Not to mention he'd need a huge suitcase to fit all that weed even if he put nothing else in the suitcase.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 12:02:01 pm »

It actually happened at one of my schools where a kid showed up for a trip with thirty or so pounds of marajuana on him...
I don't believe that. 30 pounds is like 60 000$ worth of pot. Where would a kid get that much money? Not to mention he'd need a huge suitcase to fit all that weed even if he put nothing else in the suitcase.

Yet people still wonder why I call bullshit on those school toughguys who claim to smoke at least 5 pounds a day.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 02:39:50 pm »

Well, I'm not exactly sure if that was the number he was carrying, but he allegedly did have it in a suitcase. All I can say for sure was that he had more than enough to be charged with intent to sell, and probably did intend to sell. This wasn't at a public school, it was at a pretty expensive private school.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 02:48:52 pm »

Dealing happens all the time at school. most kids turn a blind eye cuz they don't really care, or they don't really know what's going on.

Happened to me. I saw some kids trading empty pen tubes filled with something white in my english 11 class. I didn't know what the hell it was or what they were doing, and so I brought it up at dinner and my parents went apeshit. Next day in class I got glares from the kids and heard them mutter that that I prolly ratted them out. I think they ended up failing that course :P.

My point. Strip search the obvious drug dealers, and not the honour student with ibuprofen. And why was a male in charge of a stripsearch of a minor!? I'm getting all kinds of red flags.

Pages: [1] 2 3