Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So we'll have kill orders, but how about capture orders?  (Read 3310 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So we'll have kill orders, but how about capture orders?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 11:33:45 am »

Don't forget.  When you're surrounded by dwarves in full plate, or facing a long run away from chasing dwarves with no idea of the local terrain and no supplies, surrender starts to look like a great option.  Especially if you have a reputation for not torturing your opponents to death (although that reputation may make them more likely to attack in the first place, so it's a trade-off)

Could possibly start training the dogs to either immobilize or kill, as well.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 12:05:35 pm »

Bite out the achilles tendon perhaps?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 12:33:13 pm »

erm, not so much... dogs are usually trained to take down opponents rather than kill them (they don't so much need to be trained on the whole throat thing)  You know... the guys with the towels wrapped around their arms?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:26 pm »

Achilles tendon is in your heel IIRC.

If snapped/bitten out, it would render you unable to walk.
Perfect for dogs to incapacitate things.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 01:13:21 pm »

You remember correctly.

I'm just saying that real life dogs are trained to do real life captures

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 03:20:48 pm »

Ability could be given to all troops no matter how they are armed, but if the requirement is that the enemy must be unconcious to be captured (or maybe is some sort of good lock if wrestling has them), then you could capture with any squad, it would just be easier with wrestlers.

Maybe some sort of polearm with string loop in the end could be created? I think they had them in middle ages, so they would be great for capturing enemies, even at longer range so the capturer is less likely to get stabbed.

Units that are routed and retreating should try to run away if possible, and surrender if not. Of course the surrender option might be relative to your fortress reputation: If you are known to torture the prisoners to death, then they rather fight a gauntlet then surrender.

Speaking of which, is there a reason we don't have torture chanbers in the game? I mean we can always create ways to creatively kill the captured enemies, often involving magma or water, but we lack the ability to cut of the hands of the goblin baby snatcher who steps into the cagetrap, and release him as a warning to others. I don't care if that has no effect on the wider game, I just like just laws for crimes.
So far the most succesful method I've found is a tower of judgement: You throw the goblin down the tower. Sometimes they die, sometimes they just get horrible mangled in the fall, but can limb home.

Hmm. I seem to have veered off the course. Back to issue: Ordering capturing enemy = good idea.

I'm pretty sure torture is unthinkable according to dorf ethics.

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 04:21:16 pm »

but not player ethics.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 04:59:30 pm »

but not player ethics.

What I'm saying is that dwarfs can't purposefully torture a prisoner. They can do things that result in torture (like throwing an armed goblin in a pit with a cougar) but they cannot do acts that are considered torture. Unless the ethics are changed you'll never have the option to tie them down and poke them with hot iron or cut off their hands or remove their eyelids.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 07:08:55 pm »

What I'm saying is that dwarfs can't purposefully torture a prisoner. They can do things that result in torture (like throwing an armed goblin in a pit with a cougar) but they cannot do acts that are considered torture. Unless the ethics are changed you'll never have the option to tie them down and poke them with hot iron or cut off their hands or remove their eyelids.
Or someone twiddles a bit in the Raws...

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 08:52:38 pm »

Or someone twiddles a bit in the Raws...

How exactly would one go about adding torture to the Raws? Hypothetically speaking of course...  ::)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 10:08:15 pm »

Well, torturing is an ethic, and ethics only apply to civs right now.  Basically, there's no torture command for the player, but when civ A invades civ B in the histories, one of the things they can do is torture the people they capture (I think that's in....)  MOSTLY ethics are just excuses for races to go to war with each other.

Anywho, in the CIV raw, there's a line under dwarves that states how they feel about torture...  Just change it to 'personal matter'...  (Read through the raws, the line should be obvious, as well as the syntax for personal matter)

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 08:52:07 am »

If not torture, can we get "invading and paying siege to fortress" as a punishable law in the dwarf sociaty? You know, 101 days in prison, beating that sort of thing.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 06:47:11 pm »

If nothing else, it'll make your hammerer useful.

Great idea, this.

As an aside, perhaps having the 'carry-two-weapons' command make the dwarves carry a war weapon and a sparring weapon, and they'll use the sparring weapon when either sparring (naturally) or capturing? You could use a z-menu option (like 'stone' for economic stone, but 'weapons') to say which materials/makes are considered 'sparring'.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 09:29:54 pm »

There's problems with arenas.

If you were to have multiple people going to sit in the arena to watch, guards would come and lop off limbs and such, killing the fight. (literally.)

So it would also require a 'enslaved' tag or 'shackled' tag. It would be useful for execution rooms and arenas, stopping (or commencing) the kill/capture order. Something like a brainwashing job, or the ability to craft leg/arm shackles. Or better yet, for the elves, ones of wood.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 05:17:30 am »

Executing prisoners in any way should strain diplomatic relations pretty heavily. Of course, if you kill or capture the entire army, the enemy has no way of knowing you have prisoners

Envoys would be sent trying to demand or bargain for the release of the prisoners. Needless to say, having him flayed and shoes made of his skin wouldn't be easily forgotten
Pages: 1 [2] 3