Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: No Faith for USA  (Read 6563 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: No Faith for USA
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 08:33:28 am »

I like how people think the communism in USSR was communism. It wasn't. It was VERY fake. If anything, it was hardcore capitalism. Except the government was the only corporation.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2009, 09:55:12 am »

I like how people think the communism in USSR was communism. It wasn't. It was VERY fake. If anything, it was hardcore capitalism. Except the government was the only corporation.

Eh, corruption sows the seeds of destruction. If anything I feel that this is how the U.S is beginning to become, corrupt not so much in it's politics but mostly in the way that people try to run buisnesses. Than again it could just be the whole economic situation that makes it seem like this to me. Eh, theres a whole bunch of shit in this pile of shit, I guess you can only clean it up bit by bit or burn it up.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2009, 09:57:59 am »

I guess you can only clean it up bit by bit or burn it up.

Burn it with magma!!! Magma solves all problems.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 10:28:35 am »

Yes! Then when the LIBERAL revolution is over, we shall write the MAGMA CARTA!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 11:00:57 am »

lol
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 02:19:08 pm »

!!&!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2009, 03:46:42 pm »

if the poorest people can't even afford healthcare, what's the point?
The problem isn't so much the poorest people being unable to afford healthcare, the real problem is when the poorest people are unable to afford the GDP, then suddenly your unstoppable industrial complex is unable to actually sell the stuff that it makes and your get a depression... It isn't about how desperate people are, it is about their means.

One unfortunate thing about capitalism is that it is easy to manipulate. It would probably work fairly well if people just spent their resources making more resources and trading them around, but when people start spending money to increase their market share then you have a situation where people are receiving more than they should based upon their contributions. This isn't coming from nowhere, they are are still trading their efforts for others, but their efforts or worth more compared to absolute value, which means that they can keep getting more and more money regardless of their environment. Which is great if you assume that there are unlimited resources, but there aren't, and the more that the money is concentrated the less that the system can continue supporting people with lost of money, at which point the system fails.

Or to put it simply, capitalism is not fool-proof...
I'd agree.  There's also this sortof consensus among politicians that GDP = happiness (eg GDP is up 5% this year!  Great!  Never mind if everyone's now holed up in sweatshops!).  Hmm, that's pretty much how Stalin operated (industrialising at any human cost).

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »

It's a better to look at GDP per Capita; that is, per person.  It's a little more accurate at rating the standard of living of a country.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 04:10:52 pm »

GDP per capita is still going to be an average. The GDP per capita can be relatively high if there are one million people with no money and one man with one trillion dollars. GDP Per Capita, one million dollars. Sounds like a grand place.
!!&!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2009, 04:12:59 pm »

In such a country, I doubt people would even be paying attention to GDP or per Capita GDP at all.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 04:14:12 pm »

Toonavilla.

The place I live.

GDP: Priceless.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 05:46:55 pm »

In such a country, I doubt people would even be paying attention to GDP or per Capita GDP at all.
Still applies though.  GDP is an average - a few big business men with billions each don't outweigh the suffering of the poorest people.  Noone's asking for redistribution, just a healthcare system that actually aknowledges people's right to live.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 01:38:13 am »

GDP per capita is still going to be an average. The GDP per capita can be relatively high if there are one million people with no money and one man with one trillion dollars. GDP Per Capita, one million dollars. Sounds like a grand place.

Except GDP is the Gross Domestic Product. It's a measure of how much stuff the country produces, not the wealth of the country. GDP up 5% means that you produced 5% more worth of stuff that year, thus more productive thus good. Nothing to do with wealth, standard of living, etc. at all.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 02:08:26 am »

There's a correlation, though.  High GDP suggests a high standard of living, even if it's not a sure thing.
Shoes...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2009, 06:14:23 am »

I'm guessing China has a MASSIVE GDP then...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5