Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: No Faith for USA  (Read 6570 times)

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
Re: No Faith for USA
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 11:07:36 am »

Kick them out or turn them into citizens. SOOOO much money is being lost from taxes while they "leech" the system. But I would love to see the world from space though :)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 11:11:41 am »

I hear a lot about green technology and how that can employ a bunch of people. Maintaining those systems would also lead to some jobs there. I think there are two things the U.S can do to get on the right track.

1. Tackle illegal immigration. With roughly 12 million illegals it sure does put a damper on US growth and oversaturates the job market. Kick 'em out.

2. Grow manufacturing district. I would love to see more products with "Made in U.S.A" than "Made in China"

:-\

1.  I don't think that will every happen, America IS the immigrant country anyway.  If immigration was stopped America would have really bad riots from the inside with the illegal immigrants causing ruckus, because they want to see the rest of their family over here or something.  I wouldn't know.  I'm canadian.   :P

2. I would love to help, but one person does not make.

Kick them out or turn them into citizens. SOOOO much money is being lost from taxes while they "leech" the system. But I would love to see the world from space though :)

While I do feel angry with some immigrants cheating the system, some are still hard working personals that have learned that this is their country now and will work hard for it.

Ofcourse, you HAVE to blame our government for such a large loophole in this department of labor thing.

EDIT:  Also, I just have to say that my Dad told me he makes TWICE as much money not working than he does working!  He stills want to work though, because he learned that's what is right.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 11:33:45 am »

While I do feel angry with some immigrants cheating the system, some are still hard working personals that have learned that this is their country now and will work hard for it.

This, exactly. Having met some illegals before (Guatemalans mostly), my impression is by and large, while some criminals and loafers come with them, the vast majority are extremely hard working people who put many hours into jobs that Americans would find degrading, and for less pay, and without complaint (wow that was a lot of commas!).
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 11:45:11 am »

I know a few Jamaicans that work at a CHEMICAL PLANT.  It's full of acid tubs and you have to walk on a catwalk around them and agh.  It's just asking for a disaster.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 11:57:50 am »

...build more efficient cars...

That will never happen I'm afraid.  American car companies are IDIOTS.

No kidding, I mean for crying out loud, GM spent all the bailout money in giant transformable robot SUVs.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 12:03:18 pm »

...build more efficient cars...

That will never happen I'm afraid.  American car companies are IDIOTS.

No kidding, I mean for crying out loud, GM spent all the bailout money in giant transformable robot SUVs.

And $8 million hot spring vacations!

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:56 pm »

short version: as development progresses, the efficiency of workforce in all fields get increased. at some point you need less people than you have to cover the need of all people. The amount of people that is taken care for without themselves having to put in energy suddenly is labelled "useless" or "leeching" or whatever. Which would only be true if there was less workforce created than necessary.

Seriously... I mean look at all the products the world really doesnt need: like cosmetics products that just have ZERO effect. Those are artificially created needs and they are unhealthy for our resources, our environment, our mind and well, uh, our health.

That's a really interesting point Puck, never quite heard it articulated that way. I've been thoroughly ingrained with the thought that to not be employed means you're a worthless leech. In your opinion what should all those excess people be doing if not working for the sake of work?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 12:09:15 pm »

short version: as development progresses, the efficiency of workforce in all fields get increased. at some point you need less people than you have to cover the need of all people. The amount of people that is taken care for without themselves having to put in energy suddenly is labelled "useless" or "leeching" or whatever. Which would only be true if there was less workforce created than necessary.

Seriously... I mean look at all the products the world really doesnt need: like cosmetics products that just have ZERO effect. Those are artificially created needs and they are unhealthy for our resources, our environment, our mind and well, uh, our health.

That's a really interesting point Puck, never quite heard it articulated that way. I've been thoroughly ingrained with the thought that to not be employed means you're a worthless leech. In your opinion what should all those excess people be doing if not working for the sake of work?

Shot--I mean, given lots of money.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 12:21:11 pm »

I disagree there. Workforce efficiency definitely increases with time and better tools, but that doesn't mean that you get to set some ceiling of "needs" and declare that everyone's needs are met. Everyone's "needs" were mostly met in hunter-gatherer societies, but that didn't mean that the development of specialized labor to allow some people to stop hunting and gathering to do art and music was a bad thing, or a waste.

Think about how difficult it would be for us to maintain everyone at a standard of living equivalent to, say, a medieval peasant. Two meager meals a day and a hut to live in. Not very hard, we could probably keep everyone there with minimal effort. But we want better stuff, we want fancy things like electricity, color TVs, computers, cars, fresh food, clean water, and so on. Use the increased workforce efficiency to produce more goods to increase overall quality of life, and if that means cosmetics then so be it.

I will agree that I'm annoyed by the focus on increasing the maximum quality of life rather than raising the minimum quality of life, but I suspect that that's a function of the economic culture that we've built up since the 1850's or so. There would also likely have to be a dramatic increase in education and retraining, another bit that American culture seems generally opposed to. But those are cultural issues, and you won't solve them without addressing them as such. Particularly not by allowing the people who don't have useful skills to sit around and not do anything.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 12:26:00 pm »

what should all those excess people be doing if not working for the sake of work?
More holidays, higher wages compared to time worked. Gear down instead of gearing up...
 Or, you know, plot to overthrow the government...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 12:26:18 pm »

There would also likely have to be a dramatic increase in education and retraining, another bit that American culture seems generally opposed to.

Hah, you're right.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 12:43:51 pm »

Media is the DEEEVVVIIIIILLLLLLLL.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Battlefrank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:18 pm »

pfft, by 2013, it won't matter, because 2012 murdered everyone.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 12:54:20 pm »

2012, 8, 2013!

Bawhahahaha!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 01:00:21 pm »

pfft, by 2013, it won't matter, because 2012 murdered everyone.
It'd be funny if we lived past that, but some catastrophe put us back in the stone age, and upon discovering what are now modern calenders (but won't be then), they'll think that the end of the world must be the latest year we've made a calender for, at least according to what they believe to be our religion.

The limits to the Incan calender were space, not years 'till the end.  They could have made a calender go until the sun explodes, but A)  They wouldn't know when that is and B) That would take up more space than they had with their resources and technology.  The Incans didn't make new calenders often, mainly because it took a lot more effort then than now.  When the old calender we found ran out, they would have (had they not been wiped out) partied like hell to celebrate the drawing up of a new calender.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5