Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan trading supply/demand  (Read 764 times)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan trading supply/demand
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:17:09 am »

As a way to get the world trading stuff going for the future, why not in Dwarf Fortress have the drawves themselves create a list of things that they want from the traders that come by? It would be interesting if dwarves could go and buy things from the traders themselves rather than me having to do all the work.

This could be directly linked to dwarves' happy and sad thoughts: if a dwarf is wearing rags, they'll be more likely to go check out the trader to clothes that their over-demanding DF-user fail to supply. If they find some, great, they try to trade for it. If not, the traders take note that those items are in demand at the fort, instead of having me, the User, having to specify demand for classes of items. I should probably still maintain final control over that for military needs, of course.

This would be a nice little way to reduce some of the busy-work involved in trading, too, from a player's perspective.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan trading supply/demand
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:50:57 am »

I'd rather not be left paying for those cow bone amulets. Or lose my fort's gold coins

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 03:59:13 am »

Why?

You want your dwarves to have no ability to act stupidly? ;D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:27:04 am »

I think the best way to deal with this would be to have two types of traders that can come.

I'm crap at thinking up names, so I'll call them Traders and Fortress Traders.

Traders trade with your dwarves and Fortress Traders trade with you.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:17:24 am »

I suggested in another thread you could have one of the dwarfs as manager of sort (hoardkeeper? trader?), who the dwarfs could come to meet, and require things. He would keep a list of in a page under his settings, that player could view, and approve/disapprove them. He could then order either job creations for them (through job manager), or purchase of them when caravan comes in if creation is not possible.

So, ideally Urist McNaked wants to get new trousers, since the last pair has completely worn off. He goes to meet the manager, who talks with Urist for a while (attend meeting), before adding "Trousers" in the wish list. Urist may have different demands, or wishes so it could be "Trousers, preferred emerald dyed pigtail".
You could set some requests to be automatically accepted (like plant fiber clothing, nont metal objects, something like stockpile settings).

When the player accepts the request (either automatical acceptance or checking the request and Ok:ing it, then a job order is created, and later produced. The linking of the product to the person may require some work, but atleast the object is available in the fort inventory for the dwarf to get/buy.

If the item can not be produced (how to define this is problem. Maybe player acceptance has two options, "make" and "buy" so player chooses what can be made), it will be bought from caravan, if possible. For this, the trader should have option "search for requests" button, which when pressed will add all items in merchants storage that match the items on request list into the deal.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 06:30:43 am »

That's a cool idea, but it seems to me that having a distribution store is kind of adding a step, and not necessary.

Why not have Urist McNaked who needs pants go directly to either whoever is in charge of making clothes or a trading caravan and offer to buy a pair of pants? Then, Urist Pantsmaker notices that he doesn't have any rope reed cloth with which to make pants and goes and request the relevant job from the next dwarf down the line.

It'd be nice to have mechanisms like this which can automate a lot of this otherwise micro-management-esque production. As a player, I'd still have to build the shops and assign jobs, but the build queues themselves could be largely automated. I'd still want to be able to adjust them as I see fit, of course, if I want to make some specific items.

I would think that the default option would be for a dwarf to choose items from a dwarven shop before a caravan, at least until the build queue(s) are full.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:47:24 am »

That's a cool idea, but it seems to me that having a distribution store is kind of adding a step, and not necessary.

Why not have Urist McNaked who needs pants go directly to either whoever is in charge of making clothes or a trading caravan and offer to buy a pair of pants? Then, Urist Pantsmaker notices that he doesn't have any rope reed cloth with which to make pants and goes and request the relevant job from the next dwarf down the line.

It'd be nice to have mechanisms like this which can automate a lot of this otherwise micro-management-esque production. As a player, I'd still have to build the shops and assign jobs, but the build queues themselves could be largely automated. I'd still want to be able to adjust them as I see fit, of course, if I want to make some specific items.

I would think that the default option would be for a dwarf to choose items from a dwarven shop before a caravan, at least until the build queue(s) are full.
The problems come when the resources wanted are limited. When you are trying to get military armored, and half the drawfs decide they'd like a steel cabinet in their room. Or even Adamantium pants.

That is why you would have a middle screen, which allows you to ok and deny the request. You may Ok everything made of stne and wood and plant fibers, and individually decide on metals for example.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:08:03 am »

Or that could be a major cost of starting the economy.  Your dwarves get happier, but they get happier because they're wearing adamantine pants

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:59:15 am »

If it's like a true economy, the dwarf would say how much he's willing to pay for the adamantine pants. The clothesmaker would then tell the weaver how much he'll pay for the cloth. The weaver would try to buy strands from the craftsdwarf, and realize it's way above his budget.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:30:46 am »

'Starting the economy' has a specific meaning in DF though.  S/D economics are a ways off still

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 06:03:08 pm »

The problems come when the resources wanted are limited. When you are trying to get military armored, and half the drawfs decide they'd like a steel cabinet in their room. Or even Adamantium pants.

That is why you would have a middle screen, which allows you to ok and deny the request. You may Ok everything made of stne and wood and plant fibers, and individually decide on metals for example.

There is danger of adding too much micromanagement into a game as it gets more complex. IMHO, every oppotunity to reduce the micromanagement and NOT add to it is a plus.

I can see a screen where you generalize what materials to use and not to use, like what exists now with cooking. But to have to approve every requested job is unnecessary and unwanted.

Besides, the queues shouldn't be going away. If some dwarf queues up some job and you need something done sooner, you just alter the shop's queue like you can now. Dwarves should only be able to add to the end of the queue if there's room, not to the beginning.

Also: I'm not talking strictly about a supply and demand system involving bartering or money, when asking for items from other dwarves. . It's simply "hey, can you make this for me?" The caravans would be slightly more complex to get the dwarves to trade with.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:07:19 pm by TrombonistAndrew »