Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need Help making a Centaur Race  (Read 1695 times)

Rhaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need Help making a Centaur Race
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:46:10 am »

:'( Unfortunately every time I start a new fortress it now crashes. Any help, Ill post the Raw files.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Figured Id mostly rip off the dwarf and horse races.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help making a Centaur Race
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:54:18 am »

Did you remember to gen a new world? Other than that I can't think of anything else that would cause crashes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:49:12 am »

post the most recent data in the error log please-it should be at the bottom of the file.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Rhaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:05:50 pm »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »

1. You seem to have forgotten the ending bracket on the header.  That may be causing the crash or causing 2.

2. You appear to have multiple entries for CENTAUR in your raws. As indicated by 'Duplicate Object: creature CENTAUR'.  Believe it or not Centaurs already exist in DF (in creature_fanciful.txt).  They are just rigged to not physically appear outside of engravings.  You may want to change [CREATURE:CENTAUR] to [CREATURE:CENTAUR2]

3. [INDV_CONTROLLABLE] is an entity tag, not a creature tag. You need to put it in the entity definition.

4. [MULTIPLE_LITTER_COMMON] is a nonexistant tag.  You probably want the LITTERSIZE tag. Syntax is [liTTERSIZE:minimum:maximum]  (Uppercase LI the forum doesn't like a bracket followed by an uppercase "LI")

5. The game may be crashing from using the fanciful Centaurs the game already has in fortress mode.  Those lack just about everything that would make them a real creature, possibly causing the crash.  Be sure to change the entity definition to point to the correct creature after fixing everything else.

6. (optional)you probably want the name tag to be lowercase. Those are what show up ingame and are usually all lowercase. Instead of [NAME:CENTAUR:CENTAURS:CENTAUR] it will look better [NAME:centaur:centaurs:centaur]

P.S. Checking your errorlog you seem to have had one more unrelated issue. You seem to have 2 entries for the spear weapon Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR.  Judging from it not being in the last errorlog output you may have fixed it already, but that could have also caused a crash if nothing else did already.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:00:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rhaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 04:37:50 pm »

Hmmmm now it refuses to create a world and rejected 2004 times. Any advice?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:15:28 pm by Rhaen »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 11:29:47 pm »

I don't see anything wrong with the entity definition...  Since fixing it probably resulted in the renaming of entries, it might have screwed up data/objects.  Try emptying out that folder and trying again.  I don't really think that would be it, but it often fixes odd little problems that don't make much sense and is easy to do.

Also try making sure the custom entity creature and body all have the filename start like the vanilla entries.  The centaur creature txt file starts with 'creature_' the entity file starts with 'entity_' . I don't hear that reported often, but my mods at least don't seem to work without following that rule.  You'll have to clear data/objects again after doing that as well.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of.  You can also try turning off the tag in the worldgen parameters that makes the game require a playable race and see if it works then.  It won't fix the problem, but if the Centaurs seem to show up normally it could be something else causing it and may give a clue what it might be.

These aren't guaranteed, but they may help.  And that's all the advice I can give.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:34:20 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »

This is your problem, I belive. The QUADRUPED body type directly conflicts with the HUMANOID_JOINTS token as well as the 5FINGERS and 5TOES.

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 12:21:12 am »

I've whiped up something that might, repeat might help solve your problem, however there may be other factor at work.

Paste this into your body_default folder:

And replace this...
...with this:
Hope it helps!

EDIT: In retrospect, I believe the desision to include the CENTAUR_JOINTS token was a mistake on my part, and you would be better off simply using the HUMANOID_JOINTS token.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:31:49 pm by Krisnack »

Rhaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 11:37:36 pm »

Alright Ive got another problem my new race of Centaurs keep suffocating as soon as I enter a new fortress/adventurer.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 03:05:22 am »

Get yourself some lungs, matey.

++EDIT++
Okay, it appears you have some.
I have no idea.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Rhaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 02:19:46 pm »

Alright, I fixed the spine and they no longer choke but they still have the red flashing plus sign and refuse to do any work. Got suggestions anyone? ???

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »

Try ascertaining precisely what's wrong with them.

Give them, one at a time, [nobreathe],[nobleed] etc. to see exactly what's messed up, then doublecheck the appropriate organ(s).

Hopefully, this'll work.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:58 pm »

I'm trying to make a centaur race too and it fails miserably. If yours works, can you post it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:27:30 pm by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 05:44:14 am »

Post me the whole raw/objects folder zipped, I'll fix it for you.

I have a centaur race working in my unreleased version of Dwarf Fortress Complete, so there's nothing hard. You probably make some small silly mistake you can't notice, this shit happens all the time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2