Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: X-COM: UFO DEFENSE; This Will Not End Well For You  (Read 17765 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM: UFO DEFENSE; This Will Not End Well For You
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2009, 05:21:09 pm »

You brought this on yourself WD!

Now, I want a wallet-sized picture of me kicking an alien's head in.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2009, 05:22:15 pm »

Aww, I'm still not on the waiting list.

Also, if you don't want my suggestions just say so. I'm feeling overly helpful today, but I can see how that might be annoying.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24:48 pm »

No, keep suggesting shit! I'm completely clueless on logistics.

In fact.

You've just been promoted my Logistics Officer.

Your job.

KEEP MY PROGRAM FUNDED WITH YOUR ADVICE.

OR EARTH WILL FALL.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2009, 05:25:13 pm »

I don't like videos like this, to be honest. Too slow-paced and long-winded.

Also, auto-fire is the best fire mode, since it fires three shots which means you will most likely hit, especially considering its TU cost. Aimed shot is rubbish.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2009, 05:26:28 pm »

Unless the shooter is actually good.  Anyway...

You need an autocannon with explosive power to lay the hurting down on the alien scum.  And maybe a tank to run over the bodies.  I suppose you can shoot with it, too.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2009, 05:27:29 pm »

And Boksi, if you watched that video at all, that's fucking BS, because I autoshotted thirty times, and it gave me shit results. In fact, if I had crouched more, Aimed Shots would have saved two people, along better coordination...

BESIDE THE POINT. AUTOSHOT SUCKS WITH REGULAR RIFLES. MAYBE LAZERS BUT NOT RIFLES. RIFLES SUCK ASS.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2009, 05:28:03 pm »

I agree with Boksi, and prefer screenshots.

How's this work? Do the casualties get stuck on the end of the waiting list and revived as <Name> II, with all their previous memories up to the instant that they died?

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2009, 05:30:52 pm »

I'm not going to stop doing Screen Shots. But the minute you people complain about lack of action (I'M NOT A FUCKING CAMERA GOD. I SUCK AT CAPTURING BULLETS MID-FLIGHT) I'm pulling out a video.

Still, these updates can get long winded, because I type as I play. I think up all of the flavor text on the fly, and those OHFUCKINGSHIT moments are real, I shat my pants when that ALIEN....HID BEHIND THE FUCKING FENCE. So Screenshot updates are harder to get out.

Still, worth the result.

Also. You get to go to the back of the waiting list, yes, and no you have no prior memories. Your a fresh troop, and I'd prefer if you used a different name.

And by the way. These Screenshots don't stretch your monitor. So no I'm not spoilering them.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2009, 05:33:06 pm »

Okay. Guitar lessons folks. Then a movie. be back in...maybe four, maybe five hours.

The another update. Then BED. Sweet sleep. Then update. Then maybe toast, then maybe another update.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2009, 05:36:01 pm »

Logistics Officer reporting for duty, Sir!

Rifles indeed suck. Grenades can be more useful early on, since getting recruits with a high Throw skill is easy and if they don't have any other useful stats they're really expendable. A rookie with a grenade and pistol is a good way to scout for aliens. If they don't have time to prime and throw the grenade, you can shoot with the pistol. Occasionally, it even kills an alien. If they can throw the grenade first, you're in pretty good shape. Just remember the explosives WILL destroy equipment on the ground, so be careful about spamming an area with grenades too much. Don't want to destroy those valuable Heavy Plasma guns!

Any Strong characters (60+) should probably be given Autocannons. They're much more useful then rifles and while they are expensive. Oh, and remember that characters gain stats for anything they actually use, so giving a character a heavy load will raise their strength. Useful if you have a promising recruit with great stats but a moderate strength, since they'll only be slow for a few battles.

Research tree suggestion: Laser Pistols, Motion Sensors, Alien Alloys, Personal Armor, Laser Rifles, Medic kits. Laser pistols aren't as good as laser rifles, but better then normal rifles, and the armor will help a lot. Oh, and don't bother with the Heavy Laser. It's pretty much worthless (except to make and sell, where it gives a good profit).

Build up a decent research section ASAP. I usually have two research groups. One (large group) doing my primary research, and another working on something I want a bit less. Having them all focus on one thing is also a good tactic.

Selling off alien corpses is also wise, as you only need 1 of any type to do research on. You get a few every mission and they sell for a decent amount.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2009, 05:37:26 pm »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:43:16 pm by ToonyMan »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2009, 05:38:56 pm »

Right, my next recruit is Doc Torir, Nirur's slightly more competent and confident older brother.

According to some math formulas I once read on an X-Com forum, standard pistols on snapshot are actually slightly better then rifles over long distances, which is silly, so I avoid them anyway.

Unable to view TonnyMan's picture.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »

I want in! Rocket Launcher of Doom pretty please.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2009, 05:43:20 pm »

I want whatever makes me the god of war that ToonyMan is.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2009, 05:44:38 pm »

Either pizza boxes or ham.

OR MAYBE HAM IN A PIZZA BOX.  OH YES.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19