Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rhesus Macaques....  (Read 819 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Rhesus Macaques....
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:19:12 am »

Those crafty monkeys are on our side!  I just noticed something very weird.

A report that *Maple Barbed Quarrels [40]* (Yes, modded game, but I haven't touched the Macaques) was stolen.  Being that I have zero weaponry industry on this fort yet, and knowing I'm under attack, I checked.

Sure enough, the Macaque squad was running around in the enemy's formation, grabbing ammo from the Marksmen!  Each one took a stack of bolts, and none of them were even attacked by the enemy.

I don't know if it is really usable as a tactic, buuuut... it might have potential.  Capture a whole army of wild Macaques, stuff some into a cage and unleash during sieges to weaken the enemy?  ESPECIALLY if they go for ammo every time...

Anyone else ever notice behavior like this, or am I just warping the time/space continuum again?
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rhesus Macaques....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:22:24 am »

Hmm, finally a use for those damn, dirty apes?

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:37:58 am »

I don't know if it is really usable as a tactic, buuuut... it might have potential.  Capture a whole army of wild Macaques, stuff some into a cage and unleash during sieges to weaken the enemy?  ESPECIALLY if they go for ammo every time...

Anyone else ever notice behavior like this, or am I just warping the time/space continuum again?

I can't say I've seen this before, but one potential problem with your plan is that if you trap animals for a while (after they would have usually wandered off the map), they tend to try to leave the map as soon as you release them again.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:22:22 am »

True.  I've seen that behavior before (Yep, I've tried selling wild animals, who hasn't?   ::) )

Still, it's an interesting quirk.  The same siegers are clearly hostile: they kill their own horses' foals when they give birth.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:44:03 am »

That's so awesome.

I think macaques go for the highest-value item, and stacks of bolts tend to be very high in value because they are in large stacks. Still, as long as the monkeys are going for the high-value stuff, they're definitely helping you.

Just make sure to close your gates before dropping them outside, or they might path to your stuff.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 06:50:56 am »

Have raccoons been seen to do anything similar?

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 07:54:54 am »

I'd imagine raccoons might do the same thing, but I'm usually in Macaqueland.

I observed the monkeys doing it a second time, two years after the first, effectively making them the best allies ever.  This time, though, I'm entirely ready for a battle.  Not only do they have no bolts now, but I've got 4 crosstrained Champions with masterwork Steel and Obsidian.  I did have 5, but, well, I kinda forgot to put them back to the non-deadly weapons after a small raid.  I've also got a nice long air-locking kill tunnel.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 10:43:31 am »

Creatures with any variation of the item theft tags choose a target as soon as they enter the map, so trapping them to release later probably wouldn't work anyway.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.