Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen  (Read 4005 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:17:55 am »

Watching this is strange. I rewatched the first movie on blu ray and it was awesome because I could fast forward through all the talky boring parts and watch the action. It was great!

Watching this, I really, really, really wish I could have done the same. The action is generally great but everything else is... quite bad. It's like Michael Bay watched Star Wars Episode 1 and decided to make all the characters Jar Jar. It's not a bad movie by any means. In fact, if all the talking was removed, it would have been awesome. What we get is a bunch of pussy ass robots who are weaker than my grandmother's left boob prancing about like ballerinas.

I mean, these things can survive reentry from space (by smashing into the Earth at full force) and they get owned by an MBT's machine gun?! The robots in the first movie were awesome because they could take a beating and kick humanity's ass like no other (anyone remember the opening sequence with Blackout?). Here, the Decepticons get owned like crazy by humanity's overwhelming firepower. Why are we afraid of them again? The only reason why the Autobots are still alive are because we weren't shooting at them!

This movie has taught me a lesson. We are stronger than giant space robots and can kick their ass with impunity. In fact, we could have kicked their ass back in 1941. It has also taught me that giant robots are incredibly stupid, for reasons that you will understand when you inevitably watch the movie.

But it's a fun watch... just don't expect too much out of it. It's definitely better than Terminator: Shitvasion though.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:22:29 am »

Don't forget the two robots that speak like stereotypical black people that can't read. How did that get past the cutting room?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:33:37 am »

Don't forget the two robots that speak like stereotypical black people that can't read. How did that get past the cutting room?

I don't know isn't there a whole genre based off of this?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:55:04 am »

I don't know isn't there a whole genre based off of this?

Its called racism.

Anyway, the film was ok. My friends hated it cause it was and I psuedoquote "Was no stop action". Saying that the film had no real plot.

Also, umi, a space shuttle can survive re-entry but do you think it'd stand up to a 120mm tank shell?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:31:33 am »

If humanity wtfpwns giant space robots, then I'm definitely watching it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:35 am »

They learned the language from the internet, remember?  They're speaking internet-wannabe-gangstah speech.  Everyone does that.

Well, except here.  And maybe SA.  Possibly others.

But most people do it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:40:26 am »

If humanity wtfpwns giant space robots, then I'm definitely watching it.

Sounds like it suits me pretty well.
Salvation war complex, I'm calling it.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:40:52 am »

Nilocy: A space shuttle doesn't ram into earth like a meteor.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:45:52 am »

Was about to renote that for him, but there you have it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:26:15 pm »

Well, realistically, stopping any sort of tank round is a very difficult prospect.
Like a HEAT. Unless your giant robot's armor was built with something like Chobam armor, it's going to go through.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:29:37 pm »

It's actually not quite like a meteor; if that were the case, it would break apart.  The cloth and plastic (if I remember correctly from the Smithsonian air & space exhibit) ship used for Pepsi's free trip to space contest would have been a failure.  I believe there are many fiddly bits put on to reduce speed and heat during reentry, as well as major differences between the shape of the ship and the meteor's shape.  Shape can make a fair bit of difference.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:33:01 pm »

I refuse to see it because they put the Transformers name on it. If I see it, my memories of the TV show will be corrupted, and my childhood memories shattered.

Why couldn't they have put the GoBots name on it?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 12:43:29 pm »

I refuse to see it because they put the Transformers name on it. If I see it, my memories of the TV show will be corrupted, and my childhood memories shattered.
You at least watched the first one, right?  'Cause that was as awesome as Transformers deserves.

Plus, it's live action.  Hard to corrupt memories of cartoons with live action.  They just don't fit together well most of the time.
Just so I remember

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 01:08:47 pm »

It's actually not quite like a meteor; if that were the case, it would break apart.  The cloth and plastic (if I remember correctly from the Smithsonian air & space exhibit) ship used for Pepsi's free trip to space contest would have been a failure.  I believe there are many fiddly bits put on to reduce speed and heat during reentry, as well as major differences between the shape of the ship and the meteor's shape.  Shape can make a fair bit of difference.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but in the movies, the Transformers smash into earth at full velocity. If they can survive that, there's no way they can't survive tank shells (or at least the machinegun bullets...)

Seriously, all of you with doubts haven't watched the movie yet. The Decepticons are made of paper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 01:02:30 am »

I watched the movie. Consider this: by the time this is happening, they were already fighting the Decepticons for a few years. Even with the Autobots refusing to give weapons technology to the humans, R&D could probably salvage something from the battlefields, and make weapons or ammunition specifically designed to harm the 'bots. In the final battle in Egypt, it's more Conservation of Ninjutsu taking effect than anything.

For what it was worth, I liked it. Switching back and forth between action and humor, I think the movie provided decent fun. Quite a few familiar-looking scenes, like Constructicons combining, and other stuff. Maybe the netspeaking autobot twins were annoying in the english dub (I'll see about that later), but they were quite alright in russian.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2 3 4