Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: random pile o'clothes in workshop  (Read 1340 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
random pile o'clothes in workshop
« on: June 24, 2009, 04:37:06 pm »

I've seen clothes get left behind, but never in a pile in a workshop, and never by non-wrestlers.

But I can accept random stuff happening.

The real problem is that it's a magma forge, and I tore down the old one to install a  masterwork steel anvil in place of the iron one - but all the clothes are "owned" - by 5 different dwarfs, and aren't being dumped, and seem to be a deal-breaker for building.  "Cannot reach site", which usually means there's something tasked or forbidden in the location - nope, just the clothes.

None of 5 owners (1 piece each) are smiths or furnace operators, and the forge is about 30 tiles, several halls and a variety of level changes from the barracks.  No clothes anywhere else. 

What's more, 2 of them have never been recruited to do any sparring - not even dabbling, nada.

The location for the forge would be a pain to duplicate - it's in its own free-standing walled enclosure, with access to magma, nicely surrounded by 8 magma furnaces - not like any 3x3 space will do.

I've tried to dump the items - nuthin'.  I've tried forbidding/unforbidding, in case someone is on their way to pick one up - nope, and none of the shoeless ever comes near.  I'm guessing next on the list is try to lock the owners in and manipulate their armor status?  Any other suggestions?

Anyone shed any light on what's going on? Or is it just one of the mysteries of DF?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: random pile o'clothes in workshop
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:55:46 pm »

That's dwarves taking off their shoes and putting on the metal high boots when they first put armor on.

Fortunately, there's to get them to move their shoes. Set their armor preferences to clothes and then remove the barracks. They'll remove their armor, realize they're not wearing their shoes, and then they'll go pick them up. Then just set their armor preferences back, and they'll go pick up their armor again and leave their shoes somewhere else.

If you wanted to micromanage it, you could have dwarves dump their armor in their rooms, and then set their armor preferences back to their previous levels when they're locked in their rooms. Then they'll leave their shoes in their rooms.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:06:42 pm »

Does a Masterwork Steel Anvil produce better quality items? Sorry for derailing, just wondered...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:08:19 pm »

Nah, it has no effect. As always, it's the dwarf that determines the quality of an item produced.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:14:01 pm »

Alright, thanks mate.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39:39 pm »

Masterwork anvils are good trade items, nothing more. If you get a moody blacksmith, they're worth making, since a single high-quality anvil (requiring 3 bars to make) can buy more than three anvils in trade, and each anvil you melt gives you back 1 bar.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 08:31:14 pm »

That's nothing put of the ordinary. It's just a standard Stupid Dwarf Thing, where they dump clothes any old where once they pick up replacements.
All you can really do is deconstruct the workshop, pump the magma powering it around a bit, then rebuild when things have cooled.
Or just d-b-h them.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 06:08:42 pm »

I just want the mw anvil for the created wealth - still trying to get immigration up (and I'm wondering if it'll work like other "furniture", counting once for being created, and again for being placed.)

That's dwarves taking off their shoes and putting on the metal high boots when they first put armor on.

The thing was that 2 of them had never been tapped for sparring, and have zero military skills.

In reflection, they might have been part of a panic response to an ambush, two that never made it out of the entry to do any fighting.  I usually have a very tight hold on the military - that one panic was probably the exception I've not seen yet.

So much strange dwarf behaviour - can't tell the normal from the bugs.

Thanks!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:53:05 am »

I'm having a similar problem and I'm wondering if you were able to solve yours.

I've got a bunch of owned socks and shoes littering some of my workshops and stockpiles. Most of them belong to soldiers, so I tried setting their armor preferences to "clothes" so they might possibly put their shit back on. No such luck, though; now those goofy motherfuckers are running around in socks (sometimes 2 on 1 foot), ignoring their previously-discarded footwear.

Every dwarf in my fortress has a room with cabinets and bags. I figured this would eliminate, or at least mitigate the old discarded clothes issue, but I have yet to see any of the above mentioned furniture being use for clothes storage.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:46:03 am »

Or maybe they're "saboteurs", mimicking one of (claimed) origins of the word, which involved chucking their shoes into machinery.. :)

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 12:20:02 pm »

I just want the mw anvil for the created wealth - still trying to get immigration up (and I'm wondering if it'll work like other "furniture", counting once for being created, and again for being placed.)

Now I'm wondering what the King would do if there was a forge in his tomb.  I think the anvil would count towards his room value...
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »

It took a long time, but it finally worked. I had several diff owners - I put them all in one squad and kept switching back and forth between clothing and metal armor (as suggested above - read post for full details).  When they had reclaimed all their discards, they were removed from the squad and put back to civilian work.  Finally only 1 was left, having recovered one but not both of their items - that one took forever, but finally did it.

It was a real pain.  I'd recommend not worrying about it unless you are in a similar situation to mine (I pretty much had to build on that one spot).

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 01:54:06 pm »

Yeah, that does sound like a pain in the ass. Hence I figure I'm gonna do my best to ignore this state of affairs.

Did you have to forbid all other clothing as well? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if they opted for new shoes instead of their old XX XX ones.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 02:12:10 pm »

Still early, 2 immigration waves (~ 50 dwarfs), haven't made any nor imported that much new clothes, just a few random cheap slop items for the Trade experience.

Use <d, b, h> to hide - if the dwarfs ever want them they're still there np, but they'll be out of your sight.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 02:28:15 pm »

I'm aware of the "hide" feature, it just doesn't sit right with me.
Pages: [1] 2