Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taxedhammers - planned fortress becomes a deathtrap  (Read 894 times)

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taxedhammers - planned fortress becomes a deathtrap
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:03 pm »

So my current fortress was going to be a utopia, a demonstration of how I've come along at fortress design and how awesome I am. So I embarked at a location with flux, magma, hidden fun stuff, and high rain and trees, and since it was being built into a haunted mountain range, I brought a dozen war dogs and a soldier dwarf.

Now almost a year has passed. They're all dead except the farmer dwarf. See, there's an exposed chasm chock full of undead swallowmen and the such, and they killed 6 dwarves, 12 dogs, and now there's just one crazed dwarf, left all alone and has walled herself up behind a wall of traps, and while she's gotten the initial structure built, but the liason left upset because he was chased around by skeletal ratmen, the caravan ran away, and its just her in an empty fortress at the maw of hell.

I'm gonna see how far this goes! Will the final survivor of Taxedhammers, Ezum Urvadlotol, finally go insane? Will migrants come to this DEATH TRAP?! Will I remember to update this thread?

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taxedhammers - planned fortress becomes a deathtrap
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:58:54 pm »

First update (That was fast):
She's NAMING some of the skeletal Cave Swallowmen.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:59:33 pm »

In all fairness... aren't all fortresses death traps?
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:11:55 pm »

In all fairness... aren't all fortresses death traps?

Well, yes, but usually it's the orcs, goblins, and occasionally the elves and humans doing all the dying, rather than the dwarves.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:13:40 pm »

Most forts have all the dwarves die, though sometimes it's through old age. Very rarely though.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 01:15:24 pm »

I'm giggling because everyone but ONE dwarf died, even with all my prep and planning for the worst, I had a dedicated axedwarf along. Also she's currently trying to survive the winter. Undead got tired and instead a pack of wolves showed up to die on the stonefall traps.

Usually my fortresses fall from things like Megabeasts and Sieges in the winter when the moat freezes over and they walk across unopposed. And the force trying to reclaim it gets squashed by the megabeast.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:01:48 pm »

Most forts have all the dwarves die, though sometimes it's through old age. Very rarely though.

If the only thing killing them is old age, you're never going to have all of them die given dwarves incredible propensity to breed.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 02:37:07 pm »

It's like learning to ski - if you don't fall down, you're not learning anything new.