Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Megaproject: Cast obsidian tower, the ultimate strange mood.  (Read 3732 times)

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Cast obsidian tower, the ultimate strange mood.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:08 pm »

add the farming job to the other 6 dwaves and then turn on only farmers harvest and Zasit won't harvest

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »

Thanks for your encouragement and tips. I'll definitely turn on harvesting for farmers only.

I am hard at work laying out floor plans and calculating material collection needs. Here's a basic plan of the fort by floor. If you see any glaring omissions or have suggestions, please let me know. I won't lose any work, even to sweeping changes since at this point the levels I've designed can easily be swapped around vertically.

I have plenty of room to dig deeper, but no more room at the top.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each floor is a 31 diameter circle with a 7x7 in the center reserved for pumps, stairs, and well shafts. That should give you a basic idea of how much space we are working with.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:40:15 pm by Masennus »
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 06:10:13 pm »

I have doubts about the floor 2 tower-cap farm, as I am pretty sure they only grow on dark subterranean tiles.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 07:30:48 pm »

what is the difference between shopping and stores?

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »

Stores meant storage. I was inconsistent.

Also, there's a roundish cliff where the tower is mined from, meaning that, the ground at the back of the tower is several z-levels higher than at the front. I should be able to keep floors 4 and below as mostly dark subterranean to do underground and tower cap farming.
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 01:15:08 pm »

I would love to see you change the design of the tower into a Bovine shape...

"Zasit Estunmedtob likes ... and cows for their haunting moos"

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 01:35:14 pm »

I would love to see you change the design of the tower into a Bovine shape...

"Zasit Estunmedtob likes ... and cows for their haunting moos"

Heh. I like it, but I just can't justify throwing away the design work I've done up to this point. If I can figure out how to get Zasit some cows without bending the rules too far I will use some masterwork Iron cages with cows in them to decorate his tomb. Maybe I'll even link the cages a breeding pair to a pressure plate near his sarcophagus so when he is finally interred they are released and start a cowslposion in his tomb.

That gives me another idea. Zasit's death should be the death of his living monument. The pressure plate near his tomb should set off a series of booby traps starting with sealing off the fortress with more cast obsidian, and culminating in the gruesome death of all its inhabitants. The more elaborate the scheme the better. I imagine it ending with the tower completely flooded with water. Killing the dwarves but preserving the treasures inside.

In 1000 years the legend of Zasit's tomb will reach the ears of a brave adventurer...

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 09:21:33 pm »

you could have it set to release some magma onto a preasure plate, then when it is 3/7 or so, the magma stops and water starts. It seals the enterance with new obsidian then fills up something like an extra layer of walls around the tower. Once the water reaches the top, there are holes in the roof and the water floods in, slowly filling the tower with water and eventually drowning all your dwarves on the top level ;D

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 09:35:28 pm »

i dont really like the idea of killing off the tower. like a dwarf really dislikes having his artifact stolen or destroyed, i think it more likley Zasit would rather have his tower keep going as an awsome city.

feel free to make his tomb into an insane cow/magma/obsidian deathtrap, all tombs of awsome dwarfs should be!  ;D

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 07:31:15 am »

Note: If 1/7 water falls onto 1/7 magma, it will make a cast obsidian wall. I found out with a project that wasn't supposed to get clogged up.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 11:12:13 am »

I've finished design work on the first few floors, and engine room. I decided to go back to the story for a bit, because drawing all this up on paper is getting tiresome, I want to play with the fort a little. Here's the next entry from Zefon's log:

8th Moonstone 100:

We have carved out a decent living here. Funny I should use the term carved out, when we haven't had the use of a pick for the entire year. At any rate, we have a decent food and drink stockpile, a few beds, and a roof over our heads, albeit a wooden one. Tekkud has almost finished training all the dogs.

We see very little of Zasit. He occasionally comes and sleeps in one of our beds. I took a barrel of Strawberry Wine and a few pieces of cow cheese over to where he's been working. He's just digging. So far he's dug several floors of circular rooms. I wonder how far down he'll go before he stops.

I've designed a wall that will surround the project, and in the mean time we've stationed dogs at the stairway where Zasit entered his dig site. Most of our time is spent cutting trees. Stone would make such a better wall. Ah well. We rather expected to be playing wilderness survival when we took off after Zasit. I hope this construction comes out as magnificent as we suspect, and that our small part will be mentioned in the histories of the place.

I fear the nearby orcs or goblins will hear that we are here soon. We've got to get the wall finished. Back to work.
Pages: 1 [2]