Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What d'all think?  (Read 888 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What d'all think?
« on: June 23, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »

My first proper external fortress

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6177-boardsquare

Comments? Suggestions? Anything yiou suggest I do now?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What d'all think?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:55:19 pm »

Interesting layout.  Though there's certainly a LOT of stuff underground for an 'external' fortress. :P

What's with the seemingly inconsequential shaft just north of the fortress proper?

Also, I don't see the stairs for getting to that very bottom level...  Also, why did you grid out the second to lowest level?  Is that where you went to go looking for the magma pipe?

Nice tower, though it appears you may have missed the corners on a couple levels. :P

Couple other anomalies here and there but overall it looks okay.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »

Really nice and cosy :p I tend to make my aboveground forts MUCH bigger though, to account for future development. I like the diamond shape store-rooms, bedrooms and dining room :D

EDIT: Star gave better criticism. I found it hard to make head or tail of it, I hate ASCII haha. Couldn't focus on anything :x

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »

To answer questions:

1. The northern shaft is the 'other entrance', I used it while I was building the bridge and the grates (which are down currently), it'll be there so any visitors will have to walk through a bunch of traps. That's plan B

2. The stairs are covered by the stockpile for some reason
2b. I'm actually looking for an underground river, as you can see I'm low on wood and I need barrels and bins (and I'm making IRON ones now -_-)

3. Yeah, didn't want to bother getting external stairs, so decided to just leave it round.
--

Picture of it rendered using 3Dwarf

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:25:31 pm »

Looks good so far, but a little too symmetrical. I'd add some buildings to the courtyard and maybe a tower off to one side. If you're going to have an external fortress, don't go half ass. Move your underground operations above ground to give the courtyard buildings a function.

I'm actually looking for an underground river, as you can see I'm low on wood and I need barrels and bins (and I'm making IRON ones now -_-)

It looks like you have a lot of rocky space above ground. Try flooding it to make it muddy with the river/stream you already have.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:24:41 pm »

Defences are all done finally. Now time to train the militia.

Some players would take exception to this order of doing things.

A bit "square" - needs more diagonals.  Wasted some time making magma channels orthogonal. Also a bit spread out and doesn't make much use of 3-dimensions - personal taste, but far less efficient.

Your exploratory mining seems... random.  Some areas, some not, rows 10 tiles apart, or perhaps 5... meh.  If it works for you.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:46:00 pm »

There's a human stuck in your moat ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:22:57 pm »

It looks like you have a lot of rocky space above ground. Try flooding it to make it muddy with the river/stream you already have.

I think he wants his own interior tree farm, needing him to expose an underground water source.

joeyjo0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:57:02 am »

I think he wants his own interior tree farm, needing him to expose an underground water source.

I have the same site, it was from a certain topic. The underground river is very small.

Go find the adamantine, it's not that hidden :P

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 12:41:59 pm »

I have the same site, it was from a certain topic. The underground river is very small.

Go find the adamantine, it's not that hidden :P

I just found it by accident... now I'm trying to avoid the demon pits...

Where exactly IS the river?