Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress token  (Read 1153 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress token
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:47:32 am »

Basically a fortress token which the view moves relative to, for moving fortresses. You can set the distance it must have moved to update, how often to check and maybe whether or not to passively load the surrounding area.

It would be a small statue type thing with an engraving and text.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress token
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »

I don't really understand what you mean by your suggestion.  Could you elaborate further on your idea?
Computer says 'No'.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:12:01 pm »

I think he means a way to implement a nomadic "fotress" structure, in which the area in which you can build slowly moves, so you're able (and forced to) move your dorfs into other parts of the world.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:29:15 pm »

Huh.  That sounds pretty cool, actually.  If we have Dwarf Fortress, Human Castle, Goblin Tower, Elf Forest Retreat, why not Nomad Grassland, or Fremen Desert?

There'd need to be a REASON that you're constantly moving though.  Hunting water and wells (that dry up) would work for the desert, but for grassland, you'd need to be either hunting herds of wildebeast or else be cowboys, overgrazing areas with cattle and then pushing them onwards.  So grazing would have to be in either way.

But sounds pretty cool to me.  I can think of all sorts of fun that would be!  Not very dwarven, but that's okay by me.  Don't make the dwarves nomads, is all, let another race have that job.  Orc nomads maybe?

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »

Huh.  That sounds pretty cool, actually.  If we have Dwarf Fortress, Human Castle, Goblin Tower, Elf Forest Retreat, why not Nomad Grassland, or Fremen Desert?

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress was a good idea. Toady should go back and work on that some more.

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:55 pm »

Maybe if it is eventually coded so you can have a moving fort of some type, you could use this to move around the map.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:16:37 pm »

This could be a method of making moving fortresses like huge boats or airships. Dedicate a certain building as the main item like for controlling the mobile fortress (the steering wheel.)

I think it's an idea.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:35:44 pm »

I think he was trying to say that as you expand your fortress and move closer to the edge of the map, it basically expands or shrinks the space you can build in. Like a mobile map edge, the token would be the relative center of your fortress that you designate, and the game works off of that for the size and centering of the map space.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »

This could be a method of making moving fortresses like huge boats or airships. Dedicate a certain building as the main item like for controlling the mobile fortress (the steering wheel.)

I think it's an idea.

I had this idea a while back after reading the Dwarven Wheels thread. Even wrote up the beginnings of a novel in which Dwarves had taken to driving about in great mobile fortresses, cutting out huge blocks of stone to be mined out before dropping the end result (a gigantic, smoothed, engraved building) into a Human town in exchange for magic that would keep lava resivoirs hot, supporting structures in place, and important bits from degrading.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 04:26:33 am »

It would be fun, but also sounds horribly difficult.

Also, uh...  what happens to a dwarf who falls off the edge of the map as it moves?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One