Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [request]Ultimate TUNDRA map! Get genning!  (Read 2401 times)

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
[request]Ultimate TUNDRA map! Get genning!
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:54:33 am »

I'm looking for a site with a tundra bordering mountains. I would like to find a tundra site with the only features being a single tile of underground river on the border, and a magma pipe.

I've been at it, genning for a while now, but no luck as of yet. Maybe some help genning would be fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:14:42 am by Ter13 »
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [request]Ultimate glacier map! Get genning!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:01:12 am »

Try setting the minimum and maximum temperatures really low.

Be careful not to go too low or your dwarves will find themselves facing the coldest temperatures found in antarctica... or deep space....

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:05:42 am »

lol, the dwarves appear and instatnly become dwarven popsicles :P, or dwarfsicles, which ever you prefer ;D

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:17:11 am »

Do you want a glacier(as suggested in the topic title) or a tundra (as suggested in the post itself)?

And does it have to be freezing or is cold enough?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:18:01 am »

Aren't tundra and glacier only found in freezing areas?

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:10 am »

As stated in the posts before me... Glacier or Tundra, Tundra has soil, Glacier has Ice. Choose now, or forever hold your peace...:P
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:39:12 pm »

The temperature you need for tundra and glaciers is a little bit more complex that most biomes. I think it's that the summer temp needs to stay below a certain value and the game randomly chooses either top of bottom and has warmer summers as you go up or down the map (on medium at least.)

In order to get the least extreme temperatures you will need for lots of tundra and glaciers it's best to use painter mode (set everything but temp to still gen randomly,) and just paint horizontal stripes up till you see the strict line where it won't generate the polar stuff anymore and then set the brush to a lower temp and paint another stripe up to the middle of the map (or keep going up to the top and just pause world gen to make sure it oriented in the right direction- but that's going to give you horribly cold areas up top.)

if you actually want to control tundra vs glacier that's all about drainage.

And as always if you paint the map make sure to get rid of the region minimum/rejection parameters.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:42 pm »

Set the min and max temperatures low, like somewhere around zero, and turn min and max volcanism each to 100. The generation process will probably squawk about some rejection or another, just ignore it- you should have a viable world. Turning up volcanism like that will likely greatly increase the number of suitable spots. 

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:18:04 am »

Turning up volcanism like that causes a lot more rejects than just turning up the minimum number of volcanoes.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 05:27:10 am »

After 500 rejects you can just press "p"  to ignore everything, and the world will gen (after a few more rejects, usually not more than 100).

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 07:08:53 am »

I genned a world which has a Pipe in EVERY SINGLE local map.

It also has Mountains that suddenly turn into ocean.

All i did was set min volcanism to 85 and turned off erode cliffs.

This map is awesome.

It was map 555 of 555 before I told it to ignore problems.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:28:43 am »

If you crank up min volcanism, you should get rid of "Minimum number of low volcanism areas" or whatever the exact wording is.  Genning until it gets sick of rejects and asks to ignore that parameter will get you the same effect, but will take a lot longer!

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:22 am »

Yeah, I meant tundra... Sorry.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 05:01:23 pm »

Set the min and max temperatures low, like somewhere around zero, and turn min and max volcanism each to 100. The generation process will probably squawk about some rejection or another, just ignore it- you should have a viable world. Turning up volcanism like that will likely greatly increase the number of suitable spots. 
0 degrees across the board still won't get you tundra in the middle of the map- that takes like -50.

But like I said you should paint the temperature on.

Turning up volcanism like that causes a lot more rejects than just turning up the minimum number of volcanoes.
Actually minimum volcanoes is just a rejection parameter. It doesn't do anything to make there be more volcanoes, it just rejects any world that doesn't have that many. If you set all the minimum region tile lines to 0 then screwing around with min and max values doesn't cause any rejects until you get to the point that civs can't find anywhere to settle down, tough none of them do that based on volcanism anyway.

Setting min volcanism to 85 sucks though because then you never have any sedimentary layers so metals and flux are rare.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: [request]Ultimate TUNDRA map! Get genning!
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »

Setting min volcanism to 85 sucks though because then you never have any sedimentary layers so metals and flux are rare.

it is true, so you won"t have bauxit neither on your map nor in import, you should play with normal volcanism but changing the weigth (dont remember the exact name) of more volcaniaus areas so you get more of them, but still some sedimentary (iron, bauxit and many more good things ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2