Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Floodgates on a single lever?  (Read 2216 times)

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Floodgates on a single lever?
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:25:05 am »

I was just constructing a series of floodgates, and to make sure they were working, I put some of them down as the rest were being connected. Then, once a number more floodgates were connected, I set the lever to do a double pull, and the ones that were down went up, and the ones that were up went down. This behavior is reproducible for me, anyone else wanna try?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Floodgates on a single lever?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:29:58 am »

I dont quite understand the problem.

You CAN connect a lever to multiple floodgates, yes. I've used this to completely seal off parts of a fort.
If a floodgate is closed and you pull, it goes up. If the lever is also connected to an opened floodgate, it closes as the first one opens.

I have used this as well, so that I could empty my well without overflowing the entire fort, in case I needed to retrieve something (or someone) from it. Like a baby tragically born when her mother was straddling the well to get a drink.

It's a feature holmes. If you made it wrong you have to rebuild it.

Edit: No offense, just like saying "holmes" to people. Didn't mean anything by it (not sure if this gets caught in a forum as it does irl)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:35:19 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:45:17 am »

I've just read in topic after topic that a levers don't toggle, they set everything attached to them to either up or down. I definitely like this feature :)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:46:22 am »

Pull the lever, wait for it to happen, and pull the lever again

They should balance out.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 02:25:55 am »

I've just read in topic after topic that a levers don't toggle, they set everything attached to them to either up or down. I definitely like this feature :)

just make sure that you get nothing stuck in them :( I didn't raise my floodgate defenses for a few ambushers and somehow half a goblin got stuck in one of the floodgates .. when the next siege came he propped it open and they poured into my fortress ... i still slaughtered them like pigs but the rookies sustained unacceptable injuries... and i had to clean the damn goblin out and micro manage the floodgates back into functioning positions
I have an art blog now.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:02:26 am »

This behavior is reproducible for me, anyone else wanna try?

I've done the same thing, with the reverse results- they all fell into synch with each other. Try pulling the lever a couple more times, let us know what happens.

If it still stays out of synch (some opening, some closing on the same pull), upload the save file - we're gonna want to see this.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:27:20 am »

This behavior is reproducible for me, anyone else wanna try?

I've done the same thing, with the reverse results- they all fell into synch with each other. Try pulling the lever a couple more times, let us know what happens.

If it still stays out of synch (some opening, some closing on the same pull), upload the save file - we're gonna want to see this.

... I'd say it's your result that's odd and worthy of a look. :o
I have an art blog now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:38:58 am »

Try deconstructing the lever and reconnecting to the out of sync floodgates, pull to sync it, deconstruct that lever, then reconnect again.

It requires more work, I know, but it should fix it.

I did do that out of sync thing when I accidentially connected a floodgate to another lever. It just took some switch toggling to fix though.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:28:04 am »

This is known behavior... Do a single pull, and they all go the same way. Do a double pull, and they will toggle based on which position they were in when they were linked up.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:41 am »

The double pull toggle occurs because the linked objects ignore repeated open/close calls. So when the lever is pulled the first time and a open call is made the ones that are closed open but the ones that are closed ignore the call. When the second pull occurs the ones in the process of closing ignore the open call and the ones which are closed open.

Dwarves have a tendency to wonder off sometimes and this will break the double pull toggle. As both pulls have to happen before one set of linked objects finish closing.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:45:32 am »

It's such a dwarfy solution!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned