Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading Mode? (Oregon Trail Style)  (Read 1306 times)

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
Trading Mode? (Oregon Trail Style)
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:11:13 pm »

Hey,

Has anyone here ever played Oregon Trail?
Its this awesome game about the 19th Century pioneers taking the real life Oregon Trail, a migration trail across north america.

The game was created as an educational tool but eventually made a huge hype as the latest craze in gaming... I suppose similar to what WoW is to many people now. (Thankfully not me)

Well, ah been wonderin' could it be possible to implement like a trading mode?
Basically, you're a trader and you are crossing your generated world to peddle your wares, choosing on what fortress to sell your goods and how to journey there...

The main things this would include are...

Choosing a fortress/town/whatever to sell stuff to.
If you choose to play as a Dwarf merchant then you probs dont want to sell to a Goblin Fortress, IMHO.

Talking with other merchants and reading current events to find out what that fortress/town/whatever requires...
 E.G: If a fortress has just been under siege then they would want to stock up on food, building materials or even immigrants.

Hiring guards and mercenaries to protect your caravan... Guards could have certain attributes,
E.G Honesty (Or whatever) to make sure they dont get bribed by bandits; Friendliness to not scare pilgrims, immigrants, etc. away.

Plotting a course: take the short journey through sinister lands, coming close to a known bandit hideout or the safe albeit long winding trek through the mountains? This adds a certain strategical depth, if you want to sell food, you gotta make sure that the journey you plot does not take too long or the food will spoil; make the journey too danegerous and guards will desert you and pilgrims/immigrants won't want to come.

Build up a trade empire: advertise your caravans and trade successfully to start building up a trade empire; convice other Dwarven traders to invest in you. Mcdwarf Trading Company FTW!

Hunt and fish to replenish your stocks of food, chop down trees to make temporary shelters and barricades, also you can lash logs together to create rafts to cross rivers n' streams!

Of course, plotting the journey is only the rough trail; you will occasionally encounter things such as divided paths, detours, high roads and lows. Choose wisely!

Taxdwarfs getting you down? Leeching all your money? BAH! Try some... Tax Evasion! Smuggle Contraband! Of course, this way you would need to hire the more unsavoury characters; vigilantes, outcasts and even mangy old hobos. This brings down the respectability of your company and attracts dodgy people to you like flies to shit. This leads in the attention of the local trade enforcement agencies who will keep an eye on your business... But the boomer money from selling Magic Rocks will be worth it! Unless you get busted...

Overcome diseases! Avoid venturing into swamps and marshes; the wheels of your caravans will bog down and waste valuable time, also, diseases will strike at your dwarf; malaria, dysentery, helljoint, Mcdwarf Syndrome, what have you!

Entering into an unknown territory? See some wierd people you have never encountered before? Venturing into an obscure land? Hire a scout! A local guide! Buy a few maps, or just hope that the locals don't eat 'cha!

Well, thats basically my 2 penneth.

Comments anyone?
//The Knight of PsYDoNiA\\
\\     .:JoiN The Order:.   //

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Mode? (Oregon Trail Style)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:19:40 pm »

i believe that this will be possible when toady gets around to adventure mode, as adventure mode is supposed to be so robust as to allow you to create a fort and such.

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 11:26:40 pm »

Hmmm....

Yeah...

But there is just so many things to do and add in Dwarf Fortress and so few people to work on it...   :(

Well... Lets just hope that the new versions will kick ass.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:13:29 pm »

Hmmm....

Yeah...

But there is just so many things to do and add in Dwarf Fortress and so few people to work on it...   :(

Well... Lets just hope that the new versions will kick ass.
This is already in the devntoes somewhere, next to playing megabeasts and elf forest retreat mode.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:32:46 pm »

It may be in the devnotes, but this thread has some nice detail to it, so I support it.  I did something similar a couple years back with my suggestion how to handle dragon mode.

At any rate, more modes would be cool.  I like the idea of being a merchant.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:38:28 pm by Fieari »

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 04:25:07 am »

Liquid fire barrels.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 06:32:52 pm »

Liquid fire barrels? Aren't those booze barrels with a fire imp loose nearby? Or do you actually mean barrels of magma? Because there already is a liquid fire extract.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:01:13 am »

Well, let's see what we'd need to impliment this idea in Adventure mode:

Wagons that I can load and unload stuff from, and that I can "own."

Tame wagon pullers.

A method of making trade goods in worldgen that makes sense.

Ways of dealing with world currencies.

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 08:01:06 pm »

World economies would be interesting...
Maybe in legends it would have like charts depicting the rise and fall of the economy...

I would love to see the randomisers come up with names for the depressions...

o.0

On second thought, I'd rather not.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:12:55 pm »

I would.

The Downfall of Insects occurred in 52. This was a depression that happened to the Boats of Beauty when the bubble in regards to Dwarven Cheese known as the smiting of cows burst. The crown, the boats of Beauty's currency, fell over 26%.

See also:
Boats of Beauty
Smiting of cows
Crowns (currency of boats of Beauty from 1 to 60)
Currency Charts
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 09:17:27 am »

do a search for Oregon Trail... it's a pretty common topic, with a lot of material

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 09:54:24 pm »

Well I am sure that when the game is close to completion you will be able to function as a trader and run caravans and all that simply by playing adventure mode.  But if Toady added a "kiddy" mode that intentionally mimics Oregon Trail that would be kick ass! 

Of course, the kids would probably just spend all their time hunting instead of learning about the historical landmarks such as the Growling Prairies of Nakedness, or the Wooly Jungle of Spanking, but what can you do?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:39:32 am »

I sure hope the DF trading system isn't like Orgeon Trail.  The last version I played, barter:

"I need some meat and flour."

"I'll take 2 rifles."

"What?  TWO?  I only have one and I need it to shoot buffalo."

"Alright, 5 pounds of sugar."

"You crazy?  I started the GAME with less than that."

"8 pounds of fresh vegetables"

"...you know I don't have FRESH vegetables.  I've been out of the city for like, 8 weeks."

"4 Rifles"

"You ARE crazy.  Your last request was only 2 rifles."

"8 pounds of sugar and a pound of salt."

"...screw you too."