Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On the terminal velocity and splatter factor of goblins  (Read 1954 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
On the terminal velocity and splatter factor of goblins
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:06 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/browsemovies.php

It seems that the larger the fall the more the body will explode on contact.  Unfortunately it isn't as dramatic as I had hoped, but the body parts do bounce a lot more than I thought they would.  The one goblin's head bounced 4 levels and the corpses themselves went somewhere after they hit the ground.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: On the terminal velocity and splatter factor of goblins
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:32:52 am »

The splash would be bigger, I suspect, if the walls above weren't there.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:55:49 pm »

I'll have to dig some more stuff out then.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:57:36 pm »

PLEASE tell me you are testing the kitten factor!!

You must discover if it truly exists!!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:00:43 pm »

PLEASE tell me you are testing the kitten factor!!

You must discover if it truly exists!!

I don't have a breeding pair of cats but I do have about 80 rhesus macaques and they explode spectacularly.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:21 pm »

I think he meant "Does landing on a kitten lessen the fall damage?"
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:31:15 pm »

I believe he is reffering to the feasibility of using the Kitten as a unit for measuring of how far it takes before something you toss in a pit self ignites from air resistance ;).
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:38:56 pm »

What I would like to try is drop a creature from an incredible height (40+ Z levels) and see if you can get it to live by digging out an underground lake and making it deep enough for the creature to survive the fall, only to drown because he ended up so deep in the lake.
Man, I really shouldn't write when it's late like this lol

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 05:43:11 pm »

What I would like to try is drop a creature from an incredible height (40+ Z levels) and see if you can get it to live by digging out an underground lake and making it deep enough for the creature to survive the fall, only to drown because he ended up so deep in the lake.
Man, I really shouldn't write when it's late like this lol

As far as I've seen and heard, liquids don't affect falling creatures at all.  I've had goblins "fall" through a volcano and disappear out the bottom.  It would be an easy enough matter for me to fill up the bottom 20 levels with water though and make sure.  I'll post a video when I get home and do it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:56 am »

Test whether landing on another goblin breaks their fall (and the other guy's back).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:31:14 pm »

Well, after testing with my hammerdwarves, I can say that landing on another goblin will at least STUN the one who's hit. It's incredibly handy for taking out ranged units.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 06:18:39 pm »

I've tossed kittens over 8 z level cliffs (NOT in real life, obviously). Actually, it was a gorge cut out by a stream and I was 7 or 8 z levels up. When I tossed them down, they instantly died from colliding with an obstacle.

If the water wasn't particularily deep, it's possible they hit the bottom of the stream. Still, since water is dense, a fall from seven or eight z levels up is a few hundred feet. It would be like colliding with concrete and even if the creature managed to survive, it would have massive injuries.

It's also plausible that there were alot of rocks in the stream....

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 09:40:48 pm »

Fluids do not affect falling creatures.  I've had gobbos fall out the bottom of a filled volcano. 

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »

I've practiced with dropping many things off of high places.  Luckily once i had the chance to drop a giant scorpion and from that i found the more external parts it has that can be damaged the more bits and pieces will blow off and the father they will go.
Nom nom nom

grendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:13 pm »

Can the flying body parts cause further damage to nearby creatures? If so, you could have a "goblin reaction" with the execution tower.
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

24 felsite is bring you baby to repel the goblin siege day.
Pages: [1] 2