Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does this look like a good project?  (Read 1466 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Does this look like a good project?
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »

It's not quite finished yet (you know, the head and the details and whatnot) but it's the basic idea
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is going to be a template for a giant statue to be constructed in front of a fortress.

It currently somewhat resembles a mayor.

His feet are covered in mud, his trousers covered in vomit, with a bit of his purple cloak still showing. He carries a pickaxe but apparently made one too many orders.

It is 11 z-levels at the moment made entirely of walls and ramps. I was planning on adding a crossbow to the other hand but I'm not sure about that one. Perhaps a flask? The arms should be curved, I'm not sure how to do that nicely

1. Is this structurally possible (i.e. the pick)?
2. What needs improvements?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does this look like a good project?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:46:50 pm »

No toes. Toes bad.

Otherwise, it's looking quite nice.  :)
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »

1. Yes.

2. Needs a barrel of booze in his hand.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:06:34 pm »

Another vote to get rid of the toes. They look... not right.

As for structural integrity, everything but the pickaxe will work. The pickaxe has a segment where the bottom of one wall does not connect to the top of the others - it's the divide between the two middle-most sections of blue blocks. Everything below the divide will fall down if you try to make it that way.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:09:21 pm »

As for structural integrity, everything but the pickaxe will work. The pickaxe has a segment where the bottom of one wall does not connect to the top of the others - it's the divide between the two middle-most sections of blue blocks. Everything below the divide will fall down if you try to make it that way.
Do ramps not give support then?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:22 pm »

That's initially what I thought as well, but then I remembered you could build walls on the open space next to a floor tile without problem like so:

Code: [Select]
   #
..#..

There's no problem with the pick.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:31:11 pm »

If you plan on looking at it in 3Dwarf, you have to put into consideration that sometimes ramps create spikes instead of ramps if they have no access between z-levels. I believe you need to construct ramps before blocking off access.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:40:43 pm »

That's initially what I thought as well, but then I remembered you could build walls on the open space next to a floor tile without problem like so:

Code: [Select]
   #
..#..

There's no problem with the pick.

On the open space next to a floor tile that is already connected to something ground-bound, yes. But those 'floor' tiles aren't floor tiles - they're the tops of wall tiles. The top of a wall doesn't support it, it's the sides/bottom of the wall that support it. Those wall tiles are 'floating' in the picture because they're technically disconnected from anything.

For that matter, there's no way he'd even be able to build them, let alone have them fall down. The solution would be to either squish the row over a space on each side, or to just add another line of wall tiles on the inside.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:59 pm »

Hold on, I'm going to make something to test some structural feasability stuff. Be right back.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:50:00 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:51:13 pm »

I don't even know why I put the toes there tbh. I guess because I started with the feet and wasn't even sure I was going to be making a dorf.

I love the idea of him holding an entire BARREL of booze! xD

I've never used 3d dwarf, it was more the personal satisfaction of knowing what it looks like.

I think I'll change the pickaxe a bit to make it more feasible. I think it's arched too much anyway.

Can anyone say for sure if walls are supported by constructions above them or not? Or will I have to disable cave-ins?

I will get back to you...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:05:17 pm by AtomicPaperclip »
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »

Looks like your current pick would work. I'll just remove some more scaffolding now, almost done.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 06:38:37 pm »

I await your results (:

How big should the head be? What are dorf beards like? Will they be constructed with walls or by some other means?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »

Bah, next time I do something like this remind me to embark with seven masons instead of trying it in my current fortress. 3Dwarf doesn't like having too many z-levels.

Anyways, I made a scale model of... well, half of your pick, proving my hypothesis: a wall can indeed be supported from above by its quasi-floor tile, but you'll have to build some scaffolding (i.e. floors) over to the bottom bit and build up from there.

I tried to get a better view of it, but I accidentally built it too close to Moldath. This should prove your original drawing architecturally feasible, though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:27:52 pm by Untelligent »

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 06:49:03 pm »

Oh, thank you very much!

I have a good beard design that I'm building a head around. Enabling intro video for reference...

Gah, gonna have to add another x level for eyes to be of any aesthetic value

Well I've got something kind of resembling a zombie monkey santa-claus head now.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:23:36 pm by AtomicPaperclip »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:03 pm »

Looks great! It's a pity 3Dwarf can't tell the difference between rock colors.

When I built Moldath, I was too lazy to go through all this, so I just modeled him after the ASCII symbol for dwarves. Doesn't look nearly as awesome as a fully 3D dwarf, but at least it gives the dwarves something to look up to.
Pages: [1] 2 3