Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: HFS: Loads of fun! [SPOILERS!]  (Read 4825 times)

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
Re: HFS: Loads of fun! [SPOILERS!]
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 08:58:17 pm »

He can't knock down walls because walls are completely indestructible.
He can't fly over pits because the pathfinding algorithm can't handle the "flier" ability. Ambling fliers and vermin will eventually take flight if they randomly decide to move up or move over a pit, but a smart creature will never intentionally path over a pit.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 10:15:26 am »

Well, I've just found my first HFS, and I'm somewhat let down. Sure, they killed about 10 civilians and 2 legendary axedwarves, but the rest of my military (2 legendary marksdwarves, one legendary hammerdwarf) managed to kill about 15 or so spirits of fire without a scratch. Not only that, the SoF seem somewhat inefficient at killing civvies too. I watched one for some time, throwing fireballs at some peasant, and not hitting him once.

Did I get some stunted demons or something? Because I've grown really bored with this fortress, and saw this as a wonderful way to end it all, I even sealed the entrance to the fortress so the demons won't be able to pour out.

The chamber is horrible, though. All those impaled elves and dwarven limbs... And what's with all these "Staring off into space" guys? Are they demonic victims, tortured far beyond the limits of their sanity?

Fake edit : More demons just leapt out, I'm gonna go see if they fare better.
Real edit : No, it seems the surviving military is 2 marksdwarves, one axedwarf, which has so far killed all the firespirits. I'm gonna post screenies of the fierce demonslayer after this is all finished.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 10:23:08 am by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:14 am »

If you really want to get crazy, you can try trapping the demons with some crazy dwarven ingenuity.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 06:31:30 pm »

Well, I've just found my first HFS, and I'm somewhat let down. Sure, they killed about 10 civilians and 2 legendary axedwarves, but the rest of my military (2 legendary marksdwarves, one legendary hammerdwarf) managed to kill about 15 or so spirits of fire without a scratch. Not only that, the SoF seem somewhat inefficient at killing civvies too. I watched one for some time, throwing fireballs at some peasant, and not hitting him once.

Did I get some stunted demons or something? Because I've grown really bored with this fortress, and saw this as a wonderful way to end it all, I even sealed the entrance to the fortress so the demons won't be able to pour out.

The chamber is horrible, though. All those impaled elves and dwarven limbs... And what's with all these "Staring off into space" guys? Are they demonic victims, tortured far beyond the limits of their sanity?

Fake edit : More demons just leapt out, I'm gonna go see if they fare better.
Real edit : No, it seems the surviving military is 2 marksdwarves, one axedwarf, which has so far killed all the firespirits. I'm gonna post screenies of the fierce demonslayer after this is all finished.

It sounds like you're playing with temperature disabled. SoFs are deadly because they have a fixed body temperature of something insane like 25000, so anything that comes close is burned alive instantly. Fireballs and dragon breath are also harmless if temperature is off.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 07:38:30 pm »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 03:34:50 pm »

I had a Hidden Fun Stuff vein in my bustling fortress, packed full of SoFs. So after I ran like the dickens and floored off the staircase, I proceeded to tap the underground river and start flooding it.

Welp, turns out Spirits vaporize water on contact, and foolishly I didn't add a floodgate so I couldn't stop it. Hello 12fps!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 10:10:05 am »

Welp, turns out Spirits vaporize water on contact, and foolishly I didn't add a floodgate so I couldn't stop it. Hello 12fps!
While that is, of course, obvious, I must admit that my plan for tapping HFS at some future time was to include a reservoir ready to flood the scene (possibly a special intermediary hallway, if not the HFS area) to deal with the various the elementals accordingly.  So, that won't work.  Ok.

Sounds like an SOF miner (if one could recruit such a beasty) would be a useful 'person' to send to dig through aquifer layers, though.  Though perhaps it would be advisable to avoid bitumonous coal deposits. ;)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 12:08:18 pm »

so, are there only a certain amount of demons in each pit, or do they respawn?

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 03:15:58 am »

When I hit my first HFS, I had read on the wiki about adamantium...
... But not about the glowing pits it leads to.

I was not prepared.

My framerate plummeted to somewhere around 3 when I first broke into the four-z-level chamber.  Insane, babbling civilians POURED from the chamber, with others in cages and chains left behind.  Tentacle demons followed them, four at first, then another five accompanied by a greater demon.  A sof was behind them, but it didn't need to be there.

My fortress didn't stand a chance.  It didn't even have any weapons.  The demons boiled up through my central stairway, destroying dwarves in seconds while the scores of babbling elves, dwarves, humans, kobolds, and goblins poured out of the fortress.  Dwarves tantrumed as their friends and relatives died, but were overwhelmed by the insane before they even saw the demons.

Now, it is but a ruined husk, a collection of stone and mines in the side of a volcano.  There, the demons wait, gathering their power.  My Dwarves unleashed an unspeakable evil that year...
... and none live who know.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 05:43:01 am »

sounds like time for adventure mode.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 06:08:41 am »

Sounds like an SOF miner (if one could recruit such a beasty) would be a useful 'person' to send to dig through aquifer layers, though.  Though perhaps it would be advisable to avoid bitumonous coal deposits. ;)
Bah, how about trapping them and then using them to power forges and smelters? ;D

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 06:11:20 am »

Throw the SOF into the ocean. It's the only way.

Actually, it's not the only way. Dwarven fire will also do the trick.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 04:01:35 am »

He can't knock down walls because walls are completely indestructible.

Ahh, noooo. He knocked down walls like crazy when I first uncovered him. The miner who found the demon pit was also a mason, so I had him brick it up with some granite that was laying around as soon as I discovered it. He whipped up three walls in a row, and the SOF kicked'em all down.

I got a little message that said "A construction has been toppled by (SOF NAME)", like the messages you get when a tantruming dwarf knocks over a work shop.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »

Whoah. My understanding was constructs (bC_) couldn't be destroyed.

My first HFS was a bit of a disappointment too. Although I lost my two legendary miners, my six champion hammerdwarves destroyed the demon. It was a surprisingly long fight considering. The frog demons that followed were no match, but they did kill a peasant who had a stone haul job I forgot to cancel. On the plus side, his death that day let my dwarves dine on cat biscuits that evening.

I've heard that encounters with SoFs can be varied. Some people take them out with ease and others, who sound like they are well prepared, get utterly demolished.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4